Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

checking out different models

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by fendermallot, Sep 28, 2011.

1. fendermallot

fendermallot Aloha, OR Member

So, as I am in the market in the not to distant future for my first handgun I'm trying to figure out where to "shop". I'm guessing that what I buy will more than likely be a used version but what I need to know is what fits my hands and what feels good.

That being said, I'm about to take off with my 6 y/o to go look at some guns. I have both of those "Discount" gun stores within driving range of home as well as The Security Store on tv hwy. Someone mentioned The Gun Broker in Tigard too...

I need reccomendations for somewhere that is going to be patient, let me fondle the guns and maybe give some tips and suggestions. The illusive, customer service :poke:

thanks folks

2. Cougfan2

Cougfan2 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

The Security store is the biggest rip off I have ever seen for a gun store. I heard they might not even be in the firearms business anymore. The rumor is they got their FFL yanked. In any case, they had the most outrageous prices on firearms I have seen in town.

Gun Broker is good and they will treat you right. If you want the store with the best selection in town, Keith's has by far the largest inventory, but they can be a bit surly at times.

Also try some of the NWFA Supporting vendors. They are all good guys.

3. huthuthike

huthuthike Hillsboro OR Active Member

Last I checked was about a month ago and the Security Store was not selling guns at all. The guy behind the counter said the business was being transferred to a new owner and they could not sell anything during the transfer time.

You can try Willamette Valley Arms. They are on Cornell near 25th behind the Kaddy(?) car wash. They have been very nice each time I have dealt with them. Hours are kind of odd though, the guys that run it have day jobs

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  4. fendermallot

ok, thanks for info on security store. not really looking for price as I can't afford anything right now. Just looking for selection and friendly help.

5. sandman1212

sandman1212 NW Oregon Active Member

The Gun Broker in Tigard is probably one of the closest, I second talking to some of the supporting vendors!!!

6. Cougfan2

Cougfan2 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

+1 on Willamette Valley Arms. Not the biggest selection in town, but a great guy to deal with.

7. volcomdork182

volcomdork182 Gresham/portland New Member

Rapid firearms in Sandy, Or is very helpful average size selection on handguns. They don't mind if you ask 100 questions and they are very informative. A+ customer service. Have bought a couple of things from these guys they are my new go to place.

B & H firearms in on 82nd is a smaller shop but a large selection for its size. customer service is top notch. Brad is very helpful and can get anything you want for a good price. And has a great deals on reloaded rounds. This is the guy i go to for special orders or for a good untouched brand new gun.

Keith's sporting goods on powell near 242nd has the largest selection of anything. From Glock to Smith and Wesson they have it all and multiples of everything. They buy in bulk from the companies only ordering when they get enough orders to get a discount so their prices are usually lower then all the rest. With such a wide selection this means alot of guns sitting there for a while. The guns are racked and dry fired several times per week every week and can be bad for the firing pin. Unlike if you buy from a small shop that rarely gets the gun taken out of the case. But then there is Their customer service, which lacks, as they are irritated with questions and the staff (depending on the person) doesn't seem to know anything about the gun other than its a gun. Often overrun by the swarms of people, the staff get stressed at people taking their time and this often leads to confrontations which i have witnessed several times in there. I have bought several guns from there but only go there if i must.

8. Private R Wiggum

Private R Wiggum RCMP Barracks Member

+1

---

since you're in Aloha... if you happen to walk into the relatively new:

Discount Gun Sales LLC
    731 SW 185th Ave
    Aloha, OR
    (503) 747-7960

try hard not to laugh at the prices for literally anything they have confined on their premises...

---

Fisherman's Marine & Outdoor
    10355 Southwest Cascade Avenue
    Tigard, OR
    (503) 549-5061

AWESOMENESS

---

I'd rate Gun Broker in Tigard above average, a "B-"
    I'd rate the Gun Broker in Clackamas, an "A-"

All nice people, good enough places to buy.

---

9. drew

drew OR Well-Known Member

+1 on Rapid Firearms. Great customer service and there's little pressure to hurry. Really good prices on XDs and XDMs or at least they were the last time I looked at one.

10. fendermallot

I only had time to run out to one place, and since it was relatively close and I had to make one other stop in that direction, I hit the Gun Broker in Tigard. I wish I had gotten the guys name (he was awfully tall, if that helps), but he was really helpful. He went over several models and even engaged my 6 y/o who was propped up on a stool reading his national geographic kids almanac (no son, they don't want to hear all about obama or see his pictures). I've been in customer service for over 15 years and it was very nice to get a warm reception. That being said...

I may have changed my mind about what I'm looking for. Originally I've had my mind set on a Glock 19 or maybe a SA XD-9 or something. He let me look at all those and gave me a few others that might be nearly as good and much more affordable. Out of the guns I got to hold I've come away really liking the Taurus PT111-9mm sub compact and the Bersa Thunder-9 sub compact. While I've had my mind set on 9mm, I suppose I could get a .40 S&W version as well. The ammo costs more, but how much, really?

Anyway, thanks for the info guys.

11. civilian75

civilian75 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

You may try MKTactical. Focused mostly on carry handguns, but it is close, and reasonably priced. And, of course, Willamette Valley Arms.

12. SynapticSilence

SynapticSilence Battle Ground, WA Well-Known Member

I was in MK TacticL yesterday and, once again, witnessed them shoewng buyers the actual discount price on line and calculating their asking price based on 10 percent over wholesale. From what I've seen, this is honest and not a gimmick. Ditto the comment on the high prices at "Discount" guns. Also, check out Wholesale Sports. They have a fairly nice selection of the most used guns around including a good selection of Kimber and Sig 1911s. Prices aren't always competitive, but their sales on certain guns can be impressive. Plus, the guys behind the counter know their stuff, unlike the staff at some stores. Ditto on the Gun Broker stores. Best place to handle guns and get your questions answered.

13. Straight Shooter

Straight Shooter North Bend OR Active Member

To make an informed decision I would suggest taking a couple firearm classes that have actual shooting as a component. Shoot as many guns as you can. You will quickly get a feel for the right one for you. Keep in mind for concealed carry if the gun is too big to carry all the time there is a good chance you may not have it on you when the time comes. At that time any gun is better than no gun. That macho looking gun will do you no good if you don't have it on you. For concealed carry look at the really small guns that are easy to conceal. If this is just a general purpose handgun for recreational shooting then let your budget be your guide.

14. rawen2

rawen2 Portland Area Active Member

There is a gun show coming up at the Portland Expo center Oct. 14 -16. It costs $9 to get in and the parking costs too. But you can handle just about every brand/size handgun to see what feels good in your hand. If you have a Bi-Mart membership card you can get $2 off the admission. It might or might not be a good place to ask a lot of questions depending on how busy they are.

Expo Calendar

If you only plan on buying one handgun (good luck - it's addicting LOL) I'd suggest you find a gun range that rents guns so you can get a good feel for the trigger, recoil etc. I bought my first center fire pistol based on how good it felt in my hand but found out after firing it a number of times that I didn't like the feel of the trigger.

I've stuck with 9mm just because it's the least expensive center fire pistol ammo.

15. DinhRose

DinhRose Austin, Texas (Ex-Pat of SE PDX) Active Member

A gun show is a great idea. All guns are essentially laid out for you to handle albeit tied down to the table. Price are negotiable and cash is king. If you see something you like then you can either buy it or look for it on this forum. Plus Keith's will be there you can check out all of their used gun.

16. fendermallot

Thanks rawen, my buddy and I already have plans to go. We're going to ride MAX there and check things out!