JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Looking at some .45's and came across a Charles Daly Brixia Italian made 1911 in pretty good shape for a really decent price. Are they any good? Anyone have first hand experience with them? Is it worth spending 2x or more $$ for a better name for essentially the same gun? Never owned a 1911, but I've seen them get crazy expensive. What are you getting for your money if you buy Charles Daly or RIA vs. Remington, Colt, etc? Any insight is helpful. Thanks,
Rich

Books have been written on colt 1911's so to compare them all would be quite a task. I am not familiar with the Charles Daly brand but they are more in the economy line, probably similar to RIA or SAM brands. I have had excellent service out of RIA pistols and currently use an officer model for carry. The neat thing is that you can buy a 1911 as cheap as 400$ or as much as several thousand. Just like cars the more you pay typically the better quality which many times translates into reliability. A 1911 is a must for me and many others.

I have three 1911's; an RIA officers model, a custom made pistol on an Essex frame and slide, and a gold cup slide on an Essex frame. All three are fairly cheap 1911's based on components alone. The individuals that built the last two knew what they were doing and that knowledge comes with experience. One thing that I have found that makes the biggest difference in how reliable a 1911 is the magazines you use. I prefer to use checkmate or wilson magazines.

Charles Daly's are pretty nice. However, if you want a real bang for buck, look into the Magnum Research 1911's or the Alpha Foxtrots.

You won't regret either of them
They're a little outta my price range at $900-$1500, that's why the Charles Daly caught my eye in the ballpark of $400-$500. Looking at the baby desert eagle in .45 as well. I had one in .40 that I liked a lot, but I've never had a 1911 to compare. Just don't want to throw away the money for no reason if the Charles Daly is no good. Figured I'd check to see if anyone had any personal experience with one that could shed some light on it's actual quality (or lack thereof).

I guess I am fortunate but 400$ - 500$ Is not alot of money for a new steel pistol now days. Maybe its just me. I would try to find one and handle it and see what the warranty is for said pistol. I have no experience with Charles Daly / KBI pistols but I do have a bolt action rifle in 9.3x62 that has performed flawlessly made by KBI. It is possible that the manufacturer is not the same just a common name. For four or five hundred I would buy an RIA without thinking twice due to my expererience with them. One thing to remember is it is cheaper to buy a little more exspensive pistol upfront than to change it later on. A perfect example is a staked front sight or a dovetailed front sight. Some are content to keep the pistol original others know that later on they want to make changes.

Looking at some .45's and came across a Charles Daly Brixia Italian made 1911 in pretty good shape for a really decent price. Are they any good? Anyone have first hand experience with them? Is it worth spending 2x or more $$ for a better name for essentially the same gun? Never owned a 1911, but I've seen them get crazy expensive. What are you getting for your money if you buy Charles Daly or RIA vs. Remington, Colt, etc? Any insight is helpful. Thanks,
Rich

Here is a good review of them. The Co originally started making ultra cheap 1911's decades back that were suspect at best. LONG ago they started to make some very nice clones at a nice price. The ones the Co started making under the Charles Daly name you mention seem to get some great reviews.

Check out a Tisas. They are very well built and a bargain. They are becoming popular.

Thank you all for the input. Sounds like I've got a bit to consider. As far as price point, I know $400-$500 isn't that much to shell out for a decent gun, but I've gotta work within my means. This is the one I was looking at specifically
Bare bones basic field grade at a really affordable price. That about sums up my current position, but as aforementioned, I don't want a cheap gun to cost me more later either. I wouldn't be looking to modify it, customize it, or upgrade it by any means and it's too big to be my edc, so my needs are pretty basic. Really, I don't 'need' to have it at all, but if it's trash, it's the same thing as not having it at all. That review is pretty enticing though.

The basic Turkish Tisas 1911A1 is the most reliable, best shooting 1911, I have. It's a deal at $400-ish. Great choice in that price range.

Thank you all for the input. Sounds like I've got a bit to consider. As far as price point, I know $400-$500 isn't that much to shell out for a decent gun, but I've gotta work within my means. This is the one I was looking at specifically
Bare bones basic field grade at a really affordable price. That about sums up my current position, but as aforementioned, I don't want a cheap gun to cost me more later either. I wouldn't be looking to modify it, customize it, or upgrade it by any means and it's too big to be my edc, so my needs are pretty basic. Really, I don't 'need' to have it at all, but if it's trash, it's the same thing as not having it at all. That review is pretty enticing though.
Looks like something to work with at that price. Little concerned about the feed ramp. Hard to tell for sure but looks like maybe someone tried to work on it. Even if they did should be no big deal to clean up.

Why buy used when a new Rock Island could be had for the same price point:
I will add Rock Islands are great guns, I've got 2 one in 45 acp that is my bowling pin gun and one in 38 Super because I liked the 45 so much.

Looks like something to work with at that price. Little concerned about the feed ramp. Hard to tell for sure but looks like maybe someone tried to work on it. Even if they did should be no big deal to clean up.
I noticed that too, the photo's a bit grainy and I can't tell if it's tooling marks or contact impressions from feeding rounds. With all the uptalk on the SDS Tisas, I'm looking into some of those brand new in close to the same price range. I think I'll let someone else take that one. If I'm actually going to pick up an entry level 1911, I might as well start off new instead of finding myself caught up in a new project.

I noticed that too, the photo's a bit grainy and I can't tell if it's tooling marks or contact impressions from feeding rounds. With all the uptalk on the SDS Tisas, I'm looking into some of those brand new in close to the same price range. I think I'll let someone else take that one. If I'm actually going to pick up an entry level 1911, I might as well start off new instead of finding myself caught up in a new project.
Probably wise. That $300 price is TEMPTING have to say. :D

Rich
I have a Charles Daly 1911. The fit and finish is superior to other guns I've owned in this price range. I've had it about a year and have made many trips to the range with it. I have never had a single hickup of any kind. I highly recommend this pistol.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top