JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm on the hunt for a used Sig. I haven't decided on either a 220 or 229 (in .40) but already have a 228 and 226, both in 9mm.

A couple of local shops have Sig certified pre owned 229s in .40 for a seemingly great price, but I'm a little leary of getting a gun with a really high round count since they're former agency guns. Does anyone have any experience with these certified guns and their durability?

And I know 220 and 229 is probably pretty subjective...but does anyone have any thoughts of comparisons of the two? I'm hoping to make it to the range this weekend to rent both to try them out myself.

if it's certified the round count won't matter unless the frame has wear because the barrel, locking block and springs will all have been changed as needed. If you don't see bare aluminum on the underside of the frames rails, then you'll be good to go for many thousands of rounds....... as long as you run grease on the rails and oil on everything else. BUT don't by one as a safe queen because most will have holster wear and scrathes

If certified by Sig, why don't you call them, instead of asking for hearsay? BTW, I am a big Sigarms fan, have looked at these in the Red Box, and would buy one anytime.

If I call Sig with a serial number, will they tell me the heritage of the pistol?

These seem like one of those "too good to be true" deals with the prices the shops are asking ($650 and less). They're less than some of the Sigs in their used/consignment case.

if it's certified the round count won't matter unless the frame has wear because the barrel, locking block and springs will all have been changed as needed. If you don't see bare aluminum on the underside of the frames rails, then you'll be good to go for many thousands of rounds....... as long as you run grease on the rails and oil on everything else. BUT don't by one as a safe queen because most will have holster wear and scrathes

This is the kind of info I'm looking for. Thanks.

The barrels on the couple I've seen don't look like they've been replaced as they have slide wear on them. They don't look thrashed up, but they're definitely not new barrels. It sounds like asking the shop to field strip it is probably a good idea.

I've picked up a p225 and a p220 that were PD tradrre ins.
Carried a lot and shot little. Both like new inside.
Not bad for 24 & 26 year old duty guns.
You may want to check out the thread on sigforums on the .40 229 guns as there seems to be issues with them.

I carried a P226 for 15 years as an LEO. You'd be amazed at how few rounds really went through my Dept owned duty gun. That being said I really missed having a P226 so I bought a red box CPO P226 this winter. It looks brand new! I took it to the range & it fired great & was dead-on accurate. I also own a P228 that I've babied since day one. Side by side comparision there is hardly any difference.

After I purchased my CPO P226 & sent in my warranty card & Sig employee called to see if I was happy with the pistol & if I had any questions. Talk about great service & follow-up!

I'm glad I spent only $650.00 on my CPO P226! It was a great decision!

My father bought a CPO P229 .40 from JC Weaponry at the Puyallup gunshow over the week-end. The finish looked new, the barrel was extremely clean and the Mags were still soaked in packing grease. The price was $525 out the door. They had a few left, if my memory serves correct.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews