JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Handgun:

Stinger 3.5" barrel, 12" penetration

Punch 3.5" Barrel, 19.5" Penetration

3.5" test, stinger on top, punch on bottom
F320447E-9500-4531-94B3-BF701E297742.png

Rifle: (Skip to 11:05 mark in video for rifle comparison)

Stinger 16" barrel, 11.5" penetration, with fragmentation

Punch 16" barrel, 11.5" Penetration, better expansion and temporary cavity than Punch 3.5" barrel test

View: https://youtu.be/xnhYy1ZFxKo?si=jFJzg22YuRDmMVJG

.22 really is no slouch, despite being a rinky dink little doohickey. Always thought it punched over it's weight class.

I wonder if they make that punch round in 22 mag. Would be good to use in little NA min revolver if they do. I've been using the cci max? Ballistic tip little buggers.

Interesting that it's a hollow point vs the 22lr is flat nose. Would like to see the 22 mag in ballistics gel. Might be a hot little bugger. Soem day I need to mix up that Knox gelatin I bought and make some of those blocks. Woudl be cool to do same test as iraqveteran but with some 22 mag rounds.

Interestingly, both 22LR and 22 Mag operate at the same. 24,000 PSI SAAMI max pressure. It's just that the Mag has more of that 24K pressure to push the bullet faster. What about 22 Mag+P? The thin casing might be the limiting factor.

Interestingly, both 22LR and 22 Mag operate at the same. 24,000 PSI SAAMI max pressure. It's just that the Mag has more of that 24K pressure to push the bullet faster. What about 22 Mag+P? The thin casing might be the limiting factor.
Interesting. What does 17hmr run at? Seems like maybe the brass has to be thin enough to deform and ignite the primer. So maybe that limits the pressures for all rimfire (can't make brass thicker to hold higher pressure)?

Interesting. What does 17hmr run at? Seems like maybe the brass has to be thin enough to deform and ignite the primer. So maybe that limits the pressures for all rimfire (can't make brass thicker to hold higher pressure)?
26K on the Hornady. I think that is about the limit. Will have to check SAAMI to see what level 22/22Mag proof loads are pressured to.
EDIT: Consider the rimfire .17 Winchester Super Magnum. 33,000 PSI. What if that was necked up to .22? It might need rifle-level firing pin strikes for reliable ignition, as it has not been offered in a handgun, to my knowledge.

Screenshot 2024-01-24 at 9.55.05 PM.png

Last Edited:
SAAMI proof loads vary but "should be" 1.33X the cartridge max average pressure. In the case of 22 Lr and 22 Mag, that would be 32,900 PSI., or approximately what the .17 Winchester Super Mag runs at. Clearly, the case can take that pressure. Perhaps a +P rimfire would then require a proof load that exceeds the case strength.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top