JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Does anyone know the story on the CATCO STEN tube guns? There is one for sale that I am very tempted to purchase, but I don't know much about them. As I understand it, they are not original British manufactured guns, but were built from parts pre-May 1986. Any info, thoughts, and ideas on what is a real world price would be great. Thanks much.

There were lots of de milled parts kits available for as low as $50. CATCO came out with a tube that already had the cutout locations bonded to the tube. And I believe they used a seamless tube instead of Muffler tubing. But you had to cut it out and complete the gun yourself.
So how well they are finished is up to the builder. They are kind of like today's 80% AR builds.DR

average price for a whole semi tube , even @ the $$$ he is asking for although it is missing some parts so not a full kit, I know if I had the extra $$$ I would be bidding

I have fired original Stens........they are a pretty poor excuse for a sub gun. They were intended to be, and are, a cheep through away gun. Cheep and easy to build. We played with them while training with the British Royal Commandos in Europe. The soft steel tubes wore quickley (the bolts were harder than the tubes) from the friction of the bolt and eventually they became unreliable, unlike our "grease" guns that the bolt actually rode on a layer of lubricant. I remember the accuracy as being a sheet of 4X8 plywood at 50 feet. Anything can be a fun toy but these are pretty poor.

Thanks for the feedback. Though neat, with a good price, I think I'm going to pass on this one and continue my homework for a subgun. I'm seeing some other options that would probably be better for only slightly more.

I have never seen an open bolt gun that is very accurate. This type gun has a heavy bolt and when it slides forward to fire the cartridge it throws the gun all around......even the Mack 10's are that way. I owned a Rising 30 years ago, that was a great little gun select fire and cheep at the time. Mine looked almost unfired. The 200.00 transfer tax added another 1/3 rd of the total cost. All things class lll have become very expensive. I like the Linda ...(I am not sure of the spelling) they were all semi auto closed bolt sold as a pistol. They were well made and smooth. I don't know if you could find one today.

Thanks for the info. It is funny you mention it, because one of the guns are I am seriously looking at is a Reising that is fantastic shape. The price is only like a grand more than the STEN. The Reising received a pretty glowing review on Forgotten Weapons. I also read on another forum that there is a manufacturer producing magazines for them now, so hunting down mags wouldn't be a big chore.

Thanks for the info. It is funny you mention it, because one of the guns are I am seriously looking at is a Reising that is fantastic shape. The price is only like a grand more than the STEN. The Reising received a pretty glowing review on Forgotten Weapons. I also read on another forum that there is a manufacturer producing magazines for them now, so hunting down mags wouldn't be a big chore.
The Rising is a great gun, simple design but very high quality manufacture. There are a lot of them around in very good shape because they were only lightly used by some USMC units during the war. Many were surplused to local law enforcement groups and prison guards as new weapons. The tolerances are close and they need to be kept clean but great undervalued guns. I have no idea what they are selling for today but with 5 digit prices on M1 Thompson's they can't be cheep.

Yes. Though I've found another FFL/SOT vendor with something similar.

STEN MK2 Parts Kit - T Stock, 9MM Luger

This guy's stuff has been pretty good. I've purchased a few of his kits -not all STEN and everything has been as advertised.
My builds were with seamless tubing and new barrels. They turned out nice for what they are. While certainly no tack drivers I can keep 'em in the black @ 25yrds. They are an easy build.

If you want a semi auto only these guys will have everything you'll need.

Indianapolis Ordnance - STEN MK3

Thanks for the details. I'm sort of 50/50 on this one. It looks like a fun gun, but it kind of on the crude side.

I have fired original Stens........they are a pretty poor excuse for a sub gun. They were intended to be, and are, a cheep through away gun. Cheep and easy to build. We played with them while training with the British Royal Commandos in Europe. The soft steel tubes wore quickley (the bolts were harder than the tubes) from the friction of the bolt and eventually they became unreliable, unlike our "grease" guns that the bolt actually rode on a layer of lubricant. I remember the accuracy as being a sheet of 4X8 plywood at 50 feet. Anything can be a fun toy but these are pretty poor.

Took the wind out of my sails! I've handled original Stens and they started out darned crude! :D

#1 the sten while the MKIII is "crude" the MKII is a better version and the idea that the bolt wore out the tube is laughable, there are many MKII that are still alive and kicking that are all original and can still throw bullets with the best of them.
#2 the grease gun bolt did not ride in a tube, it in fact was and did run on guide rods inside the tube and had a slower
rate of fire then the sten
#3 the idea that an open bolt is some how less accurate is an apples to orange argument, just go to a sub gun shoot to see the proof in the pudding.
#4 while the rising did get good reviews by forgotten weapons the down side was the action bar and don't get your fingers caught.

parts for
MAC
Sten
are easy to get
Reising not so much

#3 the idea that an open bolt is some how less accurate is an apples to orange argument, just go to a sub gun shoot to see the proof in the pudding.
Yep, this. Come to ARPC the 3rd Saturday of the month for the full auto shoot at 10:00 AM. I'll let you shoot my open bolt subgun.

parts for
MAC
Sten
are easy to get
Reising not so much
Lots and lots of parts for the MAC family of guns.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top