JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I recently assembled a 14.5 " AR 15 from parts I've been collecting over the last 4 years. Most of the parts were purchased from forum members over that time, so thank you for all the great parts and good deals! The gun shoots flawlessly and is very accurate with the Magpul PRO iron sights, I'm pleased. However, it is a bit loud ( LANTEC Dragon muzzle break) and the recoil is a touch more than I'd like. Can I lessen the recoil by changing the buffer? I can leave it the way it is, but I think my wife would like a touch less recoil. Is softening the recoil possible?

Thank you.

On my 14.7" mid gas with a .076" gas port, I am using a Vltor A5 with an A5H2 buffer,
basicly a rifle action.
Seems to shoot smooth enough, but not like my 18" with a rifle gas system.

5,56 is loud to begin with, and a muzzle break - yikes! I pulled the brakes of my first builds and replaced with Smith Vortex flash hiders. Hardly noticed the difference in recoil, IMO they just aren't needed for this cartridge.

You can play with buffers to reduce recoil. Basically get a set and start with the heaviest and work your way down. When you get to the first one that has issues going back into battery, go back one size. I use a spikes T2 buffer and a mil spec spring and it's been 100% reliable.

You can also use an adjustable gas block, but get a decent one like SLR or Superlative Arms that has a retention system. These do need maintenance to prevent carbon lock. AR barrels are typically over gassed to ensure no cycling problems.

The stock can also be a place to experiment. Some have better recoil pads than others.

You can also decrease felt recoil by increasing weight, so go ahead and bolt on fifteen lbs of useless, I mean tactical, accessories to your pic rail.

How is your wife's shooting posture? Is she leaning into the rifle, leaning away or neutral? Leaning in and proper stance can also reduce perceived recoil. You can also have her pop off a few hunting rounds 308 or larger and she will find the AR to be pretty soft in comparison.

Linear comp for the sound if it bothers you that much. As far as the felt recoil?… it is nominal but if you think it's "too much " then you can try different buffer weight… rifle length buffer tube… sturdier spring… just remember that you are trying to adjust felt recoil by changing weight etc when it's just easier to buy an adjustable gas block

That is a stupid muzzle brake, I would suggest getting rid of it. Chances are you have a massive gas port, would need to pin gage it to confirm. I would suggest toning it down with a BRT EZTUNE Gas Tube. Without knowing your gas port size you are just shooting in the dark. I will be back in Salem next weekend, PM me if you would like to get together and I'll bring my pin gage set by.

FYI, M4s have a 14.5" barrel and are issued with an H2 buffer. I use an H2 with carbine RE and A5H2 with an A5 RE.

Last Edited:
Thank you all! I will ty to get up this week and try a different buffer as I have several. I'll start with the easiest first then move to the gas block.

People don't just default to the Geissele H2 buffer system?
No, I'll typically default to the Vltor A5 buffer system. Geissele makes some excellent products by they experiencing major growing pains with their increase production with a lack of QC as evidenced by the many issues they are having with their upper and barrels. Personally, I am less than impressed with their Super 42 Braided Wire Buffer Spring, just snake oil IMO.

On my 14.7" mid gas with a .076" gas port, I am using a Vltor A5 with an A5H2 buffer,
basicly a rifle action.
Seems to shoot smooth enough, but not like my 18" with a rifle gas system.
That is just about ideal gas port size for a 14.5"-16" mid-length gas tube and A5 buffer system, but it will never be as smooth as a properly ported barrel with rifle gas system, especially with a rifle RE and buffer.

I'm unfamiliar with this "recoil" phenomenon with the .223 you speak of.
Good for you. 5 more man points have been mailed to your current address along with a gold star.

As for the OPs original question, I find using a sprinco blue buffer during and an H1 or H2 buffer weight helps smooth things out a little. You could also look into the SOLGW NOX muzzle device which will help push the muzzle down. I use one on my 13.9" but that was mostly to make legal length. Shoots similarly to my regular 16". For noise, well.... Can't help you there. Except the overdone "gEt A SUpPrEssOr" response

Not too much recoil, I just wanted opinions to smooth out the recoil a bit for guests I take shooting.

Now if you'd like a one-arm push up contest...

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top