JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Dec 18, 2005 Canvasback.

To me, the Canvasback captures the essence of water-fowling.

I am not sure why I think of it in this way, but perhaps it is because it embodies things I admire.

It lives in places that are sometimes wild, and faraway. It is a very fast flier, and it is striking in its appearance. I remember when I was a kid reading my father's Hunting books, and seeing the pictures of the bird in big wintry scenes of places like Chesapeake Bay, and Nova Scotia.

That long sloping bill and Rusty red head. The thing looks fast even when it is sitting in the water.

It makes long trips and on the East coast it a top notch table bird.

There used to be lots of them, but the climate and it's habitat have gone through some major changes, and today it is just not as numerous as it was 75 years ago.

I hunt in a place where there just aren't very many of these birds to be had. I have shot maybe 2 in the last 5 years, and seen less than 10 in my life, and it is not as though I am not out there looking for them much. I'd Venture to say I have put in well over 130 hunts in the past 5 years.

Recently, My friends and I were hunting a chosen spot, and we were buzzed by a hen and a drake Canvasback.

I yelled over to Zach and John and said "Hey did you see that?" The birds were too far out by the time I saw them to venture a shot, and I watched them sail past another blind, and either he did not see them, or allowed them safe passage.

Well, it has been 2 weeks or so, and today I was down in a spot which is near the place the Canvasbacks buzzed us a few weeks ago.

I chucked 4 Canvasback decoys in the spread, just because they are really visible to birds, and it can be a good way to draw them in from a long ways out.

As the sun started to rise, I was looking over the spread, making sure all of them were upright, and there weren't any tangles.

When I looked over at my Canvasback decoys, I saw 5 of them, and wondered if my friend John put the 5th one out.

Upon a closer look, the 5th one was a real Canvasback. A big drake too, looking noble, sleek and wild. That sloping black bill, the rusty red head and the canvas colored back. It was a perfect match with the decoys.

I watched it and was wishing that it was shooting light, just a minute or 2 away.

I got John's attention, and we were both were looking at the big drake.

It was swimming around in the decoys, it did not seem to care that we were only 30 yards away. Didn't seem to care that we were talking, and that our dogs were walking along the shore.

Soon shooting light came, and John asked if I was going to shoot the Canvasback, I said, I think I can just walk over and shoot it in the water.

But then I thought about it for a minute.

And I thought about what that bird represents to me.

John asked again, "what's the word man, you going to get that Can?"

I wanted to. I just couldn't sluice it on the water (a literal sitting duck).

I said, "If it gets up and flies then we should shoot it, but we are better hunters than to kill that bird as it swims around.

I really want that Canvasback John, but I want to do it the right way".

Soon the bird took off and we watched it tear off through the morning sky. Like a Red tipped arrow, flying against a Piercing blue (Ice on the shore of the river) sky.

s%2F0b100d03-ed2f-454a-9f9d-59f12649c15d_1775x1331.jpg
stock photo
I'm glad I got a chance to see one so close, and I'm glad I didn't sluice that bird, even though a part of me wanted to take it home.

Something I have always liked about waterfowl hunting is that it can be a fun and social endeavor but, other times, like today, It is a deeper and more personal thing.

Almost like there is someone out there testing the fabric of which we are made.

When I was a teenager back in the 70's we used to hunt the Maple river flats about 25 miles north of St. Johns, Michigan on highway 27. The flats were flooded wheat fields. We used an old steel grumman canoe to get back up in there aways. Back then you had a daily point system. A Bluewing teal might be worth 10 points, a black duck or a Mallard were 25 points. You only got 100 points per day. If you shot a canvasback, back then you were done for the day, one canvasback was 100 points. They were rare birds back then.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR