JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The title summarizes my problem. I've got an old Berreta Silver Pigeon pump shotgun (1950-1960 ish). It still shoots great, but a buddy invited me to go bird hunting with him next season. Never been, sounds like fun, but when I tried to open the magazine tube to stick a plug in there so I wasn't violating the 3 round max rules, I couldn't get it open.

I got the top cap off, and the barrel comes free, but I can't get the next cap off to access the actual spring and tube. There is a hole in the center from where the top cap screws in and holds the barrel in place, and the cap is "knurled"/serrated/etc.?

I tried using a strap wrench, and vice grips with leather to protect the metal, but it still won't budge (and did some damage to the metal even though I tried to protect it). Part of the problem is that the cap is only about 1/4" tall, so there isn't much to grab onto without grabing the mag tube below it. Any chance that cap is reverse threaded?

Any other ideas on how to get that off, or past experience that works? I really don't want to have to take it to a gun smith just to put the magazine plug in.

If the hole in the cap is a through hole you could drop a small dowel rod in the small hole long enough to block the follower so it only holds 2 rounds. That's how mossberg does theirs.

If the hole in the cap is a through hole you could drop a small dowel rod in the small hole long enough to block the follower so it only holds 2 rounds. That's how mossberg does theirs.

That is a good idea. Might be interesting getting it out though, and I also was hoping to give the whole thing an inspection, cleaning and lube job. If I can't figure out how to get it off, and the gunsmiths want too much money, I might just go with that.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top