Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Can't open magazine tube to insert plug for hunting

Discussion in 'Northwest Hunting' started by BigStick, Apr 2, 2014.

1. BigStick

BigStick Sherwood, OR Well-Known Member

The title summarizes my problem. I've got an old Berreta Silver Pigeon pump shotgun (1950-1960 ish). It still shoots great, but a buddy invited me to go bird hunting with him next season. Never been, sounds like fun, but when I tried to open the magazine tube to stick a plug in there so I wasn't violating the 3 round max rules, I couldn't get it open.

I got the top cap off, and the barrel comes free, but I can't get the next cap off to access the actual spring and tube. There is a hole in the center from where the top cap screws in and holds the barrel in place, and the cap is "knurled"/serrated/etc.?

I tried using a strap wrench, and vice grips with leather to protect the metal, but it still won't budge (and did some damage to the metal even though I tried to protect it). Part of the problem is that the cap is only about 1/4" tall, so there isn't much to grab onto without grabing the mag tube below it. Any chance that cap is reverse threaded?

Any other ideas on how to get that off, or past experience that works? I really don't want to have to take it to a gun smith just to put the magazine plug in.

2. nextgenar

nextgenar roseburg Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

If the hole in the cap is a through hole you could drop a small dowel rod in the small hole long enough to block the follower so it only holds 2 rounds. That's how mossberg does theirs.

tahoe2 likes this.
  3. BigStick

That is a good idea. Might be interesting getting it out though, and I also was hoping to give the whole thing an inspection, cleaning and lube job. If I can't figure out how to get it off, and the gunsmiths want too much money, I might just go with that.

4. deadeye

deadeye Albany,OR. Moderator Staff Member

Minute 2:57

5. BigStick

That's a pretty good video, but not the same configuration. I will see if I can find a picture or take one when I get home.

6. OFADAN

OFADAN Brownsville, OR Well-Known Member

7. deadeye

deadeye Albany,OR. Moderator Staff Member

The process described at minute 2:57 should be the same.

8. tahoe2

tahoe2 Seattle area, Washington state Member

Exactly what bigstick said, I have a Mossberg 500 in 20 gauge, and that is exactly the way it came from the factory(with the wooden dowel inside) 1/4" I think.