JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have removed the free floated handguard from my 18" barreled AR. If I'm not mistaken I need some sort of relief cut before the gas block to accept any kind of triangular or round cap of an A2 handguard? Please educate me as the more I learn the more I'm confused.
image.jpg

Looking at what you have. there does need to be a thin open area between the block and the thicker part of the barrel behind it for a hand gaurd retainer . if your gas block is held on by set screws and does not have indents dug into the barrel it can be moved forward a little to accommodate one. Simply remove the gas block slide on the retainer then press the block as tight as you can against the cap and very important make sure your gas block is properly aligned over the gas port and re tighten.

And if your barrel is off you receiver which it must be if you removed the float tube then you will need to also install a delta ring assembly and barrel nut to spec.

You will also require a Milspec barrel nut and delta ring assembly to install hand guards

If your gas system is rifle length It does not matter if you go round or triangle handgaurds you will need a triangle retainer.

If you have a mid length gas system it also uses triangle caps but it will be difficult to find triangle hand guards for it .

If you need these parts I have them all for sale including both triangle and round hand guards for a rifle length gas system

If you have a mid length I have everything except the hand guards?

Last Edited:
All great info, thank you. A few weeks ago Skidder was kind enough to do a trade with me. I did end up getting a new gas block as I damaged my old one while removing it. It all went together properly and functions very well.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top