Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Can I bulid an AR15 under $799?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by bigred111, Oct 6, 2013.

1. bigred111

bigred111 Beaverton New Member

Hi all I need some input.I would like to build an AR-15 for under $799. I have been told its not possible but have looked on YouTube and there are a number of videos on how to build one for a reasonable price . So can some of you that care to share help me out. I know the lowers are obviously something I have to buy through a gun dealer but the rest I am not sure of who has the better product and prices. My last AR was a COLT patrolmen decked out with everything I wanted but times got tough and had to let her go . Any suggestions would be helpful. thanks so much....

2. MattBG

MattBG Battle Ground, WA Member

3. simon99

simon99 Central Oregon Well-Known Member

Its a close call. I built one this summer and found that during the process you want to add "extras" i.e. - better trigger, different fore end , better charging handle, optics, etc. If you really want to have a set budget of $799 I would consider buying a rifle, but if you want to build, just stay strict with yourself and within your budget.

4. Nwcid

Nwcid Yakima and N of Spokane Well-Known Member

Well that is kinda of 2 questions.

First I am sure you can build one for less then that if you look around hard enough. But if you are building a basic gun there are still lots that can be bought for that or less. If you are building a gun where you want specific parts that are not on a "stock" gun that is where you will save lots of money.

If you just want to build one to build one, go for it.

5. ZA_Survivalist

ZA_Survivalist Oregon AK's all day.

I dunno.. Its real tough to beat $650 entry level ARs.
    $800, sure but save some coin and get after those $650 ones. Lowest cost Ive ever seen

Nwcid and (deleted member) like this.
  6. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Do you already have the tools to build it with?

7. Commander Merkin

Commander Merkin Bandon OR New Member

You can absolutely build an AR for that price, including tools, mags and ammo. I would personally rather save a little extra and build a higher quality rifle. (Which is exactly what I am currently doing. X3)

If you've not built one before I would suggest purchasing a <$100 stripped lower receiver, Lower Parts Kit and stock. Build out your lower the way you want it and then buy a complete upper. This way you will have the highest chance of shooting your new rig upon completion. After you've put some rounds down range, take some time and learn about your upper by disassembling it.

I like Midway and PSA for deals on entry level quality.

I will parrot what others have said and suggest a complete rifle. The warranty alone is worth giving up the "custom" part of your own build. M&P Sport is still the best deal in entry level ARs, IMO. You give up the forward assist and dust cover but you get a great barrel. It's a great range rifle and fits your budget.

Cheers

8. 2Wheels4Ever

2Wheels4Ever Portland Well-Known Member 2015 Volunteer

Super easy. Buy a plum crazy/new frontier lower ($125) and then search the parts forums for a complete upper. Lots come up in the $400 range for a basic one. Presto, an Ar for under $600. No tools needed, and two pins to put together. Spend the rest on sweet tacticool parts to suit your inner mall ninja.

9. coop44

coop44 Tacoma ,WA Well-Known Member

the simple answer- sure you can

10. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

I prefer to call $799 $800. Matter of fact, I like to round up, just make it $1000.

11. Commander Merkin

Commander Merkin Bandon OR New Member

If we're being honest, I usually have to round down to the nearest $1k and realize I'm broke.

12. samuelm16

samuelm16 se pdx Well-Known Member

Watch the slickguns website

13. Riot

Riot Benton County, Washington Well-Known Member

Yes, it's still quite possible to make a good, complete AR-15 for under $800.

If you don't have any AR-15 parts already (i.e. stock, handguards, grip) I would suggest a receiver-less kit from Model1Sales.com or Del-Ton.com

Model 1 Sales: 5.56/.223 EM-4
    M4 Rifle Kits, AR 15 Kits, Gun Kits | Del Ton Rifles from Del-Ton, Inc.

Here, you can build an AR to your choosing. Choose you twist, caliber, barrel length and accessories. Includes everything- minus the receiver (the part that holds the trigger). All without an FFL. It even gives you the trigger with directions on how to install it. Then, all you need is a stripped out lower (this, you will need an FFL for).

Some places for stripped out lowers.

BRB Stripped Lower Receiver, Multi-Cal (Blem) ($75, listed with "blemishes")
    NATMIL AR Multi. Caliber Lower Receiver ($78)
    Anderson Manufacturing AR15A3LWFOR Stripped Lower 5.56 [AR15A3LWFOR] - $89.00 : Iron Sights Firearms, Inc ($89)
    BRB Stripped Lower Receiver, Multi-Cal ($99)
    RGUNS - AR-15 Lower Receivers - 5.56mm: RGUNS, Stripped ($115)
    Del-Ton, Inc. AR-15 Stripped Lower Receiver ($120)

14. cpy911

cpy911 Newberg Active Member

I have $663 into it, not counting the Leupy scope which I inherited. Thanks Dad.

Has parts from PSA, AR-15.com Equipment Exchange, Amazon and MidwayUSA. Rifle rail is UTG pro, made in USA and are real nice compared to Chinese version. Works well for my long arms to grab on to.
    Everything on this rifle is made in USA.

This is something I wanted to do for a long time.

BAFA273F-0173-416A-9732-CC8174F2897E-4661-000005EE5B72E842_zps1638e04b.jpg

Lower is Technical Grinding and Machine from Gunbroker.com. Very nice and recommended
    Upper is Aero precision
    LPK and CH is PSA
    BCG is PSA premium M16 profile HPT/MPI
    Barrel is ESS sold under AR stoner brand from Midway.
    Free float Rail is UTG Pro. Good value. Made in USA...rock solid. Not typical Chinese UTG stuff.
    Gas block is steel
    Gas tube is DPMS
    A1 flash hider is DPMS
    Scope riser is YHM

Regards,
    cpy911

15. coctailer

coctailer Portland, OR/Hastings, MI/Vancouver,WA I run with scissors.

I can sell you the entire rifle for $499. You just need a stripped lower and a trigger guard.

So, it would cost you about $599 total for a 16" AR.

null_zpsc900547f.jpg

16. mpmax

mpmax Woodburn Active Member

DPMS Oracles are on Sale for $679 till the 15th at a local sporting goods store that caters to fishermen's.
    That said, I found a named lower receiver, lpk, complete stock set, and enough new upper parts to complete the build for $625. If you look around and wait for deals, you'll find them.

17. mpmax

mpmax Woodburn Active Member

I'd go with coctailer if I'd seen his post a week ago! Would have saved me $'s!

18. U201491

U201491 Well-Known Member

You can do that at Curt's guns in Gladstone on McLaughlin.
    He has everything. Great prices and you can probably build one for way less than that.
    Seriously !

19. glockguy

glockguy Albany Oregon Well-Known Member

I built my ar for $607 of course I added to it but I'm still only at 900

20. notchman

notchman Kitsap Peninsula, WA Member