JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've given up my old cardboard box with the hole cut in to catch brass for a new Caldwell Brass Trap. This is a mesh bag on two plastic hoops that attach to a steel base forming a standing mesh bag open on one (the large) end. Zipper across the smaller rear end for quick dumping the brass to another container. It's made from a heat resistant mesh material.
Main reasons for buying this rig (besides a hatred for sweeping and sorting brass) is it packs into a compact bag for transport and it can be screwed onto a tripod and set at the right highth for a standing pistol shooter! It seems well made and pretty cool. Anyone have experience with one of these things?

Looks like a great idea. Playing brass police does suck when out shooting. Every gun has a different spray pattern when it comes to brass.

I have two of these and are a pain (once adjusted) to keep alignment while shooting. I've melted parts of the mesh when case is extracted & hangs up just out of the receiver. Not sure I'll keep using them since they are a PITA...

I saw this at a 3-gun match. Worked well, caught a lot of brass.
Brass Magnet

DPP_0022.jpg
Looks great, but rather pricey.

As for the Caldwell, I have one. Kind of a hassle to put together so I store mine assembled. Seems to work well enough if you're stationary.

The Brass Magnet wouldn't work for me, I'm shooting at a range and there are people where the net would go.

I have two of these and are a pain (once adjusted) to keep alignment while shooting. I've melted parts of the mesh when case is extracted & hangs up just out of the receiver. Not sure I'll keep using them since they are a PITA...

Jim, are you weighting it down or using a tripod? I have a heavy sandbag with a camera mount (like a tripod) that will screw onto the bottom of the trap. Hope that will help.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQis_1cYJ3K9ZstE2DrBG--OB-4rKqS1o-a9UBMqeFoflBQ33A8
I have one of these and us it on ARs/Minis with mixed results my friend has one made from ABS that is quite effective but costs over $100
anyone that can mould ABS sheeting could crank these out easy enough

Should work well for an AR also. But those Mini14s I had, I could set it up 30 feet away and catch brass with it LOL When up in the hills doing targets, I seldom even found my brass with those. You could take out the enemy ahead and anything coming in from the right all at the same time :D

I had one like the one Taku has pictured, and it also melted a huge hole in the bottom of the bag the first time I used it. I took it back to Cabelas and they didn't want to give my money back because it was ruined, so I had to get a Manager involved to get a refund. I just pick my brass up the old fashioned way now.

I went to the range yesterday, with two autoloading rifles, and tried the brass trap for the first time. As soon as I adjusted for the trajectory of the spent case, obviously different for each rifle, the trap worked perfectly! Only other slight problem was a strong wind moved the trap, even though a weighted bag was attached. Placing a full M-1A mag on the bag stopped that issue cold!
No sign of melting mesh or any other any other issue. I'm compleatly sold on this rig!:D

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top