Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

CALDWELL BRASS TRAP

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by Sgt Nambu, Oct 22, 2014.

1. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I've given up my old cardboard box with the hole cut in to catch brass for a new Caldwell Brass Trap. This is a mesh bag on two plastic hoops that attach to a steel base forming a standing mesh bag open on one (the large) end. Zipper across the smaller rear end for quick dumping the brass to another container. It's made from a heat resistant mesh material.
    Main reasons for buying this rig (besides a hatred for sweeping and sorting brass) is it packs into a compact bag for transport and it can be screwed onto a tripod and set at the right highth for a standing pistol shooter! It seems well made and pretty cool. Anyone have experience with one of these things?

U201491 likes this.
  2. U201491

U201491 Well-Known Member

3. spectra

spectra The Couve Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

Looks like a great idea. Playing brass police does suck when out shooting. Every gun has a different spray pattern when it comes to brass.

Caveman Jim likes this.
  4. Sgt Nambu

Yes, it will have to be set up close to the ejection port. No help for the over the head escapee.

5. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim West of Oly Springer Slayer 2016 Volunteer

I have two of these and are a pain (once adjusted) to keep alignment while shooting. I've melted parts of the mesh when case is extracted & hangs up just out of the receiver. Not sure I'll keep using them since they are a PITA...

Sgt Nambu likes this.
  6. rick benjamin

rick benjamin USA, Or, Damascus Secure the drama Silver Supporter 2016 Volunteer

I saw this at a 3-gun match. Worked well, caught a lot of brass.
    Brass Magnet

7. gastronome

gastronome Aloha Active Member 2015 Volunteer

DPP_0022.jpg
    Looks great, but rather pricey.

As for the Caldwell, I have one. Kind of a hassle to put together so I store mine assembled. Seems to work well enough if you're stationary.

Sgt Nambu likes this.
  8. Sgt Nambu

The Brass Magnet wouldn't work for me, I'm shooting at a range and there are people where the net would go.

Jim, are you weighting it down or using a tripod? I have a heavy sandbag with a camera mount (like a tripod) that will screw onto the bottom of the trap. Hope that will help.

9. erudne

erudne The Pie Matrix PPL Say Sleeping W/Your Rifle Is A bad Thing? Bronze Supporter

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQis_1cYJ3K9ZstE2DrBG--OB-4rKqS1o-a9UBMqeFoflBQ33A8
    I have one of these and us it on ARs/Minis with mixed results my friend has one made from ABS that is quite effective but costs over $100
    anyone that can mould ABS sheeting could crank these out easy enough

10. oknow

oknow amboy wa. Well-Known Member

Kydex is easy to work withnot to mention cheap. All you need is a hairdryer to heated it up to form it

11. U201491

Sure is better than the ones that hang off the gun.

Sgt Nambu likes this.
  12. Sgt Nambu

That's what I thought, Taku! We shall see. Don't like what Jim said about melting mesh though!

13. U201491

Should work well for an AR also. But those Mini14s I had, I could set it up 30 feet away and catch brass with it LOL When up in the hills doing targets, I seldom even found my brass with those. You could take out the enemy ahead and anything coming in from the right all at the same time :D

14. Caveman Jim

Just have the Handguard resting on the sandbag.

15. U201491

I tried one like this but got rid of it pretty quick.

brass-catcher.jpg

Can you change the net material to something that won't melt ?

Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
  16. elsie

elsie Way over there on the left Well-Known Member

17. 808hondacrguy

808hondacrguy Eugene,OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I had one like the one Taku has pictured, and it also melted a huge hole in the bottom of the bag the first time I used it. I took it back to Cabelas and they didn't want to give my money back because it was ruined, so I had to get a Manager involved to get a refund. I just pick my brass up the old fashioned way now.

Caveman Jim likes this.
  18. Caveman Jim

Yep, If it's not aligned properly & the spent casing gets stuck as it exits the receiver it is hot. & will melt the mesh. It happened twice the first time I used it...
    No real instructions to get it right just have to fiddle with it.

19. Sgt Nambu

I went to the range yesterday, with two autoloading rifles, and tried the brass trap for the first time. As soon as I adjusted for the trajectory of the spent case, obviously different for each rifle, the trap worked perfectly! Only other slight problem was a strong wind moved the trap, even though a weighted bag was attached. Placing a full M-1A mag on the bag stopped that issue cold!
    No sign of melting mesh or any other any other issue. I'm compleatly sold on this rig!:D