JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It will be interesting to see which I receive first, the hopefully repaired or rebarreled rifle, or the rebate check which is supposed to take 8 weeks. Since the rifle is due to be delivered to Savage this Friday, it might be too close to call. I guess if I have both in my hands before the end of April, and the rifle works and the rebate check doesn't bounce, I will be happy.

Well the rebate check won! I got it in the mail yesterday, but still no word on when I might be getting my rifle back from Savage. That hasn't stopped me from researching scope options, though. Trying to decide between a 30mm tube fixed power Super Sniper from SWFA about $300 plus shipping. Probably would go with the 10x, or a Leupold Mark AR 4-12x or 6-18x, with a 1" tube for around $500, or really bite the bullet and go for a Leupold Mark 4 LR 4.5-14x40 with a 30mm tube around $900 with Mil-Dot reticle. I hope to do some long range target shooting, if I ever get my rifle back from the factory.

All this talk about Cabela's having good prices, I had a little look and I can't quite believe my eyes.

They have a model 12 FV varmint for sale for $419 in 223, 22-250, 308 or 204 and although they don't have it marked as such, Savage has a deal till the end of May on "ALL MODEL 12s" for $100 off. That would make a really good rifle (I own one already... ) for $319...

I think that sounds too good to be true, but I am going to call Savage tomorrow and talk to my wife tonight.

All this talk about Cabela's having good prices, I had a little look and I can't quite believe my eyes.

They have a model 12 FV varmint for sale for $419 in 223, 22-250, 308 or 204 and although they don't have it marked as such, Savage has a deal till the end of May on "ALL MODEL 12s" for $100 off. That would make a really good rifle (I own one already... ) for $319...

I think that sounds too good to be true, but I am going to call Savage tomorrow and talk to my wife tonight.
That is a damn good deal. And I just checked the ad I got from them. They are offering a $25 gift card for any purchase over $150. So you'd end up with a rifle for sub $300.

Well, I done it again. Bought a Savage Hog Hunter in .308 before the rebate. Grrrrr. Hey. That's what I do. If I didn't do that, I'd buy it right after the rebate was over. I never hear about those things. $100 would have bought about 5 boxes of ammo. .308 isn't cheap.

Dang nice gun tho. I've put a Bell & Carlson Medalist/Varmint stock and a Nikon M-308 4-16x42 scope on it. From the factory it weighed 7 ½ pounds. It weighs 12 pounds now. The extra weight dampens some of the recoil. I'm not much of a group shooter, but I'm trying with this gun. I try to dry fire it a few times to adjust to the trigger before I shoot it to help keep the flinching down, and that resulted in a very nice little group yesterday. The bolt was a little rough when new, but it's nice and smooth now after about 170 rounds.

Update:
Got my 10T back from the factory. Tested it at the range, okay accuracy with the SSA 175 gr BTHP, very good accuracy with the Federal 168 gr GMM. Plus everything extracted fine.
Found a great deal on the Leupold Mark 4 LRT scope I was looking at ($699.99) for the 4.5-14X40 I wanted. Most I have spent on a scope, hoping to get out to the range this weekend and get it zeroed. Maybe even try a handload!

Update:
Got my 10T back from the factory. Tested it at the range, okay accuracy with the SSA 175 gr BTHP, very good accuracy with the Federal 168 gr GMM. Plus everything extracted fine.
Found a great deal on the Leupold Mark 4 LRT scope I was looking at ($699.99) for the 4.5-14X40 I wanted. Most I have spent on a scope, hoping to get out to the range this weekend and get it zeroed. Maybe even try a handload!

Glad to hear that Savage seems to have taken care of you.
I took advantage of Cabela's bargain and got the same rifle you did, although I didn't have any of the same issues you did.

I actually experienced a bit reversed results with my rifle than yours. First time I shot mine for groups at 100 yards, I was consistently getting .75" groups with my best at .5" using SSA 175gr BTHP. With Federal GMM 168gr I was getting consistent 1" groups, with my best at .75".

I'm planning to take it out again this weekend to see if I can do better. Just hope the wife doesn't alter our weekend plans :D

I picked up a like new Savage model 11 V/T for $400 of another site in 22-250. Was a Dick's special run not to long ago. Came with an accutrigger and a look alike accustock but it's Tupperware. Wanted it because of the 1:12 twist. I have and have had several Savage rifles. All shoot well and are more than I expected them to be. This shoots the lights out with 53gr SMK's and 36.3 gr. of 4064. Best $400 I've spent on a rifle.

Update: this thing is a shooter. Loves 42.5 gr of IMR-4064 with 168 gr Hornady BTHP match bullets, PMC brass, Federal 210 primer. Tried it today with the Nosler 168 gr BTHP, Federal case, Remington 9 1/2 primer. 4 shots into half an inch at 100 yards. Not sure the velocity on the load, pressure appears mild, may only be 2500 fps out of the 24 inch barrel, but sure like the consistent accuracy I am seeing.

Update: this thing is a shooter. Loves 42.5 gr of IMR-4064 with 168 gr Hornady BTHP match bullets, PMC brass, Federal 210 primer. Tried it today with the Nosler 168 gr BTHP, Federal case, Remington 9 1/2 primer. 4 shots into half an inch at 100 yards. Not sure the velocity on the load, pressure appears mild, may only be 2500 fps out of the 24 inch barrel, but sure like the consistent accuracy I am seeing.
I may start my recipe from there I have some 4064 already had a few different styles of bullets I'll keep you updated with what I find we may be able to compare notes

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top