JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Well, I couldn't resist. Cabela's ad showed the Savage 10T on sale for $539.99, and when I picked mine up tonight in Yakima, it rang up with a $100 mail in rebate form! If I actually receive the rebate, that would be just $439.99 for nice 24" heavy barrel 5R rifled .308 win with Accu-stock, Accu-trigger, oversized bolt handle and EGW 0 MOA rail. I thought it was a great bargain for a long range shooter starter, and a real nice birthday present from my wife.

I saw that to. If it was a 20" I would jump at it. I just prefer the shorter barrel.
To each his own. I prefer the added velocity and reduced muzzle blast of the longer barrel. Although I admit the 26" tube on my Remington SPS Varmint is a little cumbersome getting it out of the veh

I've got one, had it for almost a year. Shoots great and loves the Nosler 168 and 175 Custom Competition rounds.
Good to hear, Diesel Scout. I have 6 boxes of SSA 175 gr ammo on the way from SPS (another bargain I couldn't pass up at $16.99 a box). They claim the only "defect" is mixed headstamps on the brass. I figure I can sort them myself. Also have a couple boxes of the Federal Gold Medal Match 168 gr Sierra MKBTHP to try, if the wind will cooperate this weekend.

To each his own. I prefer the added velocity and reduced muzzle blast of the longer barrel. Although I admit the 26" tube on my Remington SPS Varmint is a little cumbersome getting it out of the veh

The velocity is nice, it's just walking through the woods and stuff that I like the idea of a shorter barrel.

I managed the best of both worlds. Picked up a Model 10 FCP-SR with a 20 inch barrel. Ordered a replacement barrel from ER Shaw that is 26 inches. Switching barrels is really pretty easy on a Savage, so I tailor the rifle to my needs as I need it. Don't do it often, but it's nice to have the option. Being able to do the swap myself is the main reason I gave my daughter my Remington 700 and got the Savage.

Went with the matte blue chrome moly barrel. http://www.ershawbarrels.com/scb-price-list.php

Here's the swap procedure.

I managed the best of both worlds. Picked up a Model 10 FCP-SR with a 20 inch barrel. Ordered a replacement barrel from ER Shaw that is 26 inches. Switching barrels is really pretty easy on a Savage, so I tailor the rifle to my needs as I need it. Don't do it often, but it's nice to have the option. Being able to do the swap myself is the main reason I gave my daughter my Remington 700 and got the Savage.

Went with the matte blue chrome moly barrel. http://www.ershawbarrels.com/scb-price-list.php

Here's the swap procedure.
For future reference you can buy a barrel nut for the Remington action and swap the barrels using the same tools as you do with the savage. But yeah, I changed my .22-250 into a 7mm-08. Very easy to do, less then 10 minutes work.

Well, I took the new Savage to the range yesterday. Good news is that was decently accurate, bad news is that it has a serious burr in the chamber that requires extreme force to extract the fired case. It occurred with factory ammo, SSA 175 GR match, Prograde 168 Berger Tactical and, yes, even Federal 168 gr Gold Medal Match. I will be emailing Savage later today for an RMA and shipping label. (Since I already drove 160 miles round trip to buy it, I think Savage should pay shipping both ways. I can't believe it was test fired since about every 3rd round rewired a sharp rap on the bolt with a 1x2 to extract the case. Disappointing!

So, my rifle is en route back to Savage. Anybody have a clue about their turnaround time? Quality of service?
Never dealt with them in regards to a firearm, but when I was short a scope rail I called them and had it in two days. They were great to deal with. I really wish Savage could get its QC in order, they would rid themselves of 90% of he complaints I read about them.

It sure seems like it would be better to fix it before it leaves the factory, rather than shipping it, selling it, ticking off the buyer, having to pay shipping both ways, and then still having the buyer share his honest experience with a few hundred thousand close friends online.

Only issue I have dealt with in regards to Savage, is purchasing from Bi-mart. anyone who knows anything about savage is if the rifle comes with a scope it is presighted before shipping. Bi-Mart chose to resight the rifle and as a result over torqued the scope rings. The ring tops were made of aluminum and sheared under the bolt face. this only became apparent at the range when we were unable to maintain any accuracy whatsoever. loosening the scope ring screws made the issue blindingly obvious. bi-mart fixed the issue on the spot when confronted.

So, my rifle is en route back to Savage. Anybody have a clue about their turnaround time? Quality of service?

Buddy had a 17 wsm he had to send back, spent a couple months going back and forth with them. Sent it back to him first time, didn't look like they did anything, 2" at 100 yds was ok by them. lol They eventually sent a new rifle, but it wasn't quick or simple.

Buddy had a 17 wsm he had to send back, spent a couple months going back and forth with them. Sent it back to him first time, didn't look like they did anything, 2" at 100 yds was ok by them. lol They eventually sent a new rifle, but it wasn't quick or simple.
I am hoping for a better response than that. It's accuracy seemed okay, but not being able to extract fired cases from the chamber should be covered by their warranty. (not to mention the gashes on the sides of the cases that I was planning on reloading. And, no, no handloads have been fired in the rifle.) I can see where an accuracy issue could be somewhat debatable, but an inability to extract fired rounds of factory ammo is pretty hard to argue.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top