JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
1. Front sight loose, rattling around on a finger-tight screw.

2. Rear sight installed visibly left of center on the barrel. Not the windage adjustment – the whole @#$% sight. It shot "groups" an inch left before I tapped it over to the center of the gun.

3. Sloppy, crunchy trigger pull with multiple stages of varying resistance throughout a ridiculously excessive take-up gap. Horribly negative effect on accuracy. Worse than any weapon I own (and I've got some antique beaters). Horrible.

4. Awkward magazine removal required two hands and a thumbnail (some stupid internal catch actually designed that way on purpose).

5. Ridiculous mechanical loaded-chamber indicator (because I'm too senile to remember that I just loaded a magazine and chambered a round).

6. Politically correct lawyer jive engraved on the barrel warning me to read the manual before I use the gun. (Odd, I didn't see a thing in the manual about Ruger shipping a firearm with ZERO regard to quality control.)

Screwdrivers, a brass punch and some blue Loctite fixed problems 1 & 2.

A VQ MkII accurizing kit and hammer bushing took care of problems 3 & 4. Before and after pics below.

I hear there's a nice stainless part I can buy to cover the empty hole when I yank out that useless indicator. A waste of time and material that Ruger could have applied instead to better innards... or maybe a quick once-over prior to shipping.

Disappointed? You bet. But would I do it all again? Probably.

I expect to mod most newly acquired weapons to some degree. Dial them in, personalize them and make them as functional as possible – for my taste. But I can't help but regard the time and $100 trigger kit I HAD TO put into this brand new piece not as nice-to-have upgrades, but as repairs. I'm very disappointed with Ruger for concentrating way too much on keeping the lawyers at bay while delivering a defective firearm with a trigger that worked like a video arcade duck hunting game.

Maybe this is unusual. Perhaps I got a lemon. But this is not the same Ruger quality I grew up with.

Factory trigger on the left after stabilizing the loose/off-center sights. Aftermarket non-Ruger trigger kit on the right.

beforeafter_zpsf59ce9d5.jpg

that magazine 'thing' is why I went with a used MK2 intstead of a new MK3...and the loaded round indicator....
the trigger on my 2 is far from great,but not horrible.
the rear sight on mine has a small set screw to hold it in place.I found this out the hard way at a speed steel match when it walked all over the place.

on a scale of 1 to 10,I"d rate mine a 7 overall. my smith 22a outshoots it,but has that stupid mag thing also,which I don't like at all.

I love my 22/45, ok my wifes 22/45. The trigeer could bne better, I never look at load indicator. But I like the gun a lot. So much i was looking ofr another until i got the charger.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top