JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I ask because I just got one, an old .22 Hopkins and Allen. Is is there a technical reason I haven't seen one before? How about single action with swing gate loading?
I understand gate loading might be a smidge stronger, but that shouldn't drive the ratchet mechanism, right?

Am I just out of the loop and they exist?

The gate loading went out of style because a swing out cylinder is faster. Since most revolvers have developed from a defensive weapon base, faster reloads are a good thing. I assume as metallurgy and heat treating technology have improved the strength has ceased to be the determining factor...
What you got sounds pretty cool though...

There have been a few double action revolvers with a loading gate built in the 20th century, but not many. Too slow on the reload to compete. A couple old H&R models come to mind. Actually, I think my H&R statement is incorrect. They were pull pin designs. Maybe one or two others but their makers names escape me. The design largely died in the late 19th century with revolvers such as yours and others like the Colt Lightning/Thunderer. ( I could be a little off on that statement too )

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top