JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have been watching some archery elk hunting videos this last weekend....
I am seriously intrigued with archery elk.
It seems like an exciting hunt if you get into a herd with several bulls.

I have always admired the patience and skill that archery seems to require.

My interest has been piqued enough that i want to buy a bow this winter and prepare for next August.

I have done some light reading and understand its best to get fitted at a good shop and not all archery shops are created equal.
Suggestions?

Are a few lessons suggested?

My only other question is if you strike out during archery season can you hunt the general rifle season?
I have seen some differing thoughts on it and i hate reading through the regulations, they often leave me with more questions than answers.

Archery is an addiction and it hooks you quick. The only shop I know of is G4, but you can also go to Sportsman's as they also have a range. There is so much to learn that you can get overwhelmed, but once you have the set up and mechanics down it's just down to practice. Have a blast.

Most shops will have some one who can get you set up. Just like you stated not all shops are equal not all bows are either . My first advice would be to get your draw length and go in and shoot a few bows. Shops can do this or anyone with some basic math skills and a tape measure.

Now Just because your length is 28" doesn't mean that the bow you like fits well at 28". Try not to get brand fixated as a lot of shops will try and throw you towards certain brands…Pick something your happy with.

Some one said above it's easy to get overwhelmed and that is a true statement.

Try not to fret though the shop should be able to give a quick lesson, set your bow up and have you flinging arrows down the lane fairly quickly.

Archery to start with isn't as hard as most think. It's like anything though it's difficult to get to a certain level.

Once you finally decide on your bow ; next is where it can start to get overwhelming, sights / single pin multi pin , drop rest vs whisker, heavier arrow vs faster the list goes on.

Just like you will have guys with data on why 45 is better than 9mm and debates for their favorite hunting round the same goes for archery.

Do some home work decide what your eye likes and go from there. Best you start now.

My advice and again others will differ is trying to get as comfortable down range as possible. You need to feel that your bow is dialed in for you and take all the guess work out of it.

I'm not sure if Oregon has a minimum weight for your arrow or a minimum weight of pull for your bow. Certain States differ …. I know you don't want to get caught up with all the regulations but that one is a must.

I would look at that as it will give you more of an idea on how your arrow needs to be set up further more, your bow.

If you have any further questions you can send me a pm: The best thing is your starting now and not last minute so you can be dialed in by June you will not need touch it other than a couple times to verify for early archery .

Good luck out there.

I second Archers Afield. "Bugling Bob" is a wealth of information and a great guy to talk to there. I think he puts on a little seminar every year for archery elk.

I also like Archery World in Troutdale.

I found that shooting guns, especially rifles, had a lot of transferrable skills. Sight alighnment, trigger squeeze, visualizing trajectory, etc.

After two days of figuring out how to shoot a bow, I was keeping up with or beating many experienced bow hunters.

Here's where that's important: Being a good shot is 5% of bow hunting. Finding animals and getting within range is the rest!

I found that shooting guns, especially rifles, had a lot of transferrable skills. Sight alighnment, trigger squeeze, visualizing trajectory, etc.

After two days of figuring out how to shoot a bow, I was keeping up with or beating many experienced bow hunters.

Here's where that's important: Being a good shot is 5% of bow hunting. Finding animals and getting within range is the rest!

I think that is what attracts me.
The videos of bulls coming in close raises my heart rate.

I have had a close encounter during rifle season while using a cow call. I just couldnt get a line of sight on the bull. When i decided to go in after him he winded me(i think) and left the area. The only sign of him were tracks from where it was to even thicker reprod.

Last Edited:
I'd vote to go with traditional archery....but what did you expect from a guy who still shoots flintlocks...? :D
Andy
DSC06040.jpg

DSC06042.jpg

When I was more active in archery and archery hunting I spent a lot of time here:

Archery is blast and I need to get my backstop built in our backyard. Hunting is something else, still have yet to kill anything with my bow, but you would be hard pressed to find a more exciting hunt. Lastly patience, unless you are guided it maybe a few years before you even get a chance.

I personally think traditional is more fun. I shoot a new compound and it's very "easy".
Speaking only for myself....
There are bows...as in stick and string....and "Arrow launching devices" such as compound bows....:D

With that said...
Shoot and hunt with what you want....just shoot and hunt safely and within your ability.
Andy

Speaking only for myself....
There are bows...as in stick and string....and "Arrow launching devices" such as compound bows....:D

With that said...
Shoot and hunt with what you want....just shoot and hunt safely and within your ability.
Andy
There's a lot of truth to this. I hunt with a compound because of lethality. I'm just not good enough to hunt traditional yet. With a compound I estimate range or use the rangefinder, find the correct pin and aim, use the level, and pull the trigger after remaining at full draw for three minutes on a 70# bow! I can shoot 4 inch groups at 60 yards.

I used to own and shoot a 90# long bow...it was a copy of a English War Bow...
The bow I pictured earlier is a 58# Osage Orange long bow.
Both are pretty lethal.

Like anything else....it takes practice.

With that said....there is a world of difference with shooting a traditional long bow and a compound bow...
Not the least in difference is shooting technique and outlooks....
Andy

I have been watching some archery elk hunting videos this last weekend....
I am seriously intrigued with archery elk.
It seems like an exciting hunt if you get into a herd with several bulls.

I have always admired the patience and skill that archery seems to require.

My interest has been piqued enough that i want to buy a bow this winter and prepare for next August.

I have done some light reading and understand its best to get fitted at a good shop and not all archery shops are created equal.
Suggestions?

Are a few lessons suggested?

My only other question is if you strike out during archery season can you hunt the general rifle season?
I have seen some differing thoughts on it and i hate reading through the regulations, they often leave me with more questions than answers.
I've been thinking about this also. Better seasons and less a-holes to deal with in the woods. Ive shot alot of bows and currently own an old Hoyt.

Pretty sure it's Bow or modern, not both.

It's not less, its just a different type of a-hole. I am really not kidding here.
You don't think archery is less busy than modern? I do know that it is exploding in popularity, but I figured it takes a little more effort, and most people are lazy?

Either way, I haven't hunted modern in a few years because I don't like having bullets whiz over my head, getting scoped etc. I feel like that stuff is less likely hunting archery.

I've been thinking about this also. Better seasons and less a-holes to deal with in the woods. Ive shot alot of bows and currently own an old Hoyt.

Pretty sure it's Bow or modern, not both.

There aren't less from what I've seen.

Different breed.
Ive crossed paths on occasion while out doing some last minute scouting.

You don't think archery is less busy than modern? I do know that it is exploding in popularity, but I figured it takes a little more effort, and most people are lazy?

Either way, I haven't hunted modern in a few years because I don't like having bullets whiz over my head, getting scoped etc. I feel like that stuff is less likely hunting archery.
Yes archery season has less hunters, however, archery season coincides with the end of summer/beginning of school vacationers, thus the different type of a hole.

If you don't listen to Remi Warren's podcast Cutting the Distance, it's about the best thing going if you're just getting into bow hunting (or, as I can attest, even if you're a lifer).

He recently did a couple episodes on picking the right bow/gear, and while you're gonna want to go into a shop to get fitted just right, it's good info to have between your ears before heading in.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top