Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

black chroming

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by hightower, Dec 27, 2009.

1. hightower

hightower spokane Member

I'm going to be coming into some extra gun cash pretty soon (selling a couple other guns :() I've always wanted a s&w 686 with a 4". I like stainless but stumbled on to black chrome. Would it be blasphemy to ugly up such a classic piece or could i be a trend setter? Mostly what i'm looking for is has any one ever chromed a revolver, i know there completely different mechanically than a semi and i haven't see really any revolver that have been chromed, dura coated or anything. Is a reason why or specific components to leave alone to preserve reliability?

2. PhysicsGuy

PhysicsGuy Corvallis, OR Resident Science Nut

Please, don't do that to a 686. IMO the 686 is the one of the world's best revolvers. Send it to me and I will give it a loving home with a couple of its brothers. :D

3. hightower

hightower spokane Member

well i haven't got it yet. but if i promise not to can i adopt one of yours?:D

4. PhysicsGuy

PhysicsGuy Corvallis, OR Resident Science Nut

I don't let my 686's go :D

But as far as what you're asking, I have seen revolvers refinished in several different manners. It's just that most people don't to do, since it takes away most of the value of the gun. Most of the time I've seen it done is when the gun is in extremely bad shape, and not worth much in the first place.

If you're looking for a cheap gun to refinish, J&G sales usually has S&W police trade ins for really low prices.

5. hightower

hightower spokane Member

6. ZachS

ZachS Eugene/PDX Active Member

Go for it, as long as you're willing to spend the money to do it right. It's not like you're planning to bubba a rare piece of history.

7. JAFO

JAFO OR, USA Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

I wouldn't let just anyone touch the inner workings of any of my revolvers and that refinishing guy that has a video for taking down the "Kimber Custom Shotgun" fits the 'just anyone' category.

8. krawl

krawl Oregon Member

I don't know if CC has got their act together, but I recall a few ummm issues they had awhile back. I think it was tracked on sigforum, but could be wrong here.

9. Creeper

Creeper Ravensdale, WA. Member

Black chrome is extremely fragile... much more so that conventional chrome, and far more than hard chrome. If this is a gun you like to use... stay away from black chrome.

If you can find someone to do it, IP (Ion plating) or PVD (Physical Vapor Deposition) is far more durable, and when polished is almost as deep and shiny as black chrome.

If you have the $$$... there's also CVD (Chemical Vapor Deposition) and DLC ("Diamond-like" Carbon). Both are brilliant... both are very expensive.

C

10. crosse

crosse Bellevue Active Member

I do know the owner of that revolver. but regardless. I like the two tone od and black "combat" refinish jobs. I like bead blasted steel or blued better but I don't particularly favor s&w stock steel finish.

11. M.Link

M.Link Guest

I'm trying to forget that I ever saw that picture of that OD revolver! I am trying very hard to fight the urge to go buy one and do that to it! I absolutely love that!

12. durango#95

durango#95 Medford New Member

I'm with you:thumbup: I like a nice stainless revolver (low maint.) but that is just a great looking wheel gun!

13. curtismann

curtismann Silverton Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

I'm with PhysicsGuy on this one, leave the 686 as stock. I've got one, and I honestly don't think it could be improved upon.

14. PinkhamR

PinkhamR Altus, Oklahoma MSgt, USAF (Retired)-FFL Lifetime Supporter

You may want to check out these folks. I had an LAR Grizzly re-done (it was down to 60% blue). The Cera-Kote looks really nice. They have other options also. Just a thought ...

http://customizedcreationz.com/

Here are my before and after pix that you can see on their site .....

15. hightower

hightower spokane Member

i've read a lot of good things about ford's gunsmithing and got to digging around on their website and found black nickel anybody know anything about that?

Also from what i've read on black chrome and durability is that its a very close second to hard chrome and much more durable than a blueing

gun51.JPG

16. tionico

tionico Thurston County Well-Known Member

http://customizedcreationz.com/

Hey, I wanna semi-auto handgun that chambers the rounds at the bottom of THIS pic..... don't care what colour it is, either.

17. Phillyfan

Phillyfan Oregon City, Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I think it would be beautiful, if done right. Think of it as a resto-mod. Some people will think it's cool as heck, others will never speak to you again. Be sure to post some pics if you do it!