JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm going to be coming into some extra gun cash pretty soon (selling a couple other guns :() I've always wanted a s&w 686 with a 4". I like stainless but stumbled on to black chrome. Would it be blasphemy to ugly up such a classic piece or could i be a trend setter? Mostly what i'm looking for is has any one ever chromed a revolver, i know there completely different mechanically than a semi and i haven't see really any revolver that have been chromed, dura coated or anything. Is a reason why or specific components to leave alone to preserve reliability?

well i haven't got it yet. but if i promise not to can i adopt one of yours?:D

I don't let my 686's go :D

But as far as what you're asking, I have seen revolvers refinished in several different manners. It's just that most people don't to do, since it takes away most of the value of the gun. Most of the time I've seen it done is when the gun is in extremely bad shape, and not worth much in the first place.

If you're looking for a cheap gun to refinish, J&G sales usually has S&W police trade ins for really low prices.

Go for it, as long as you're willing to spend the money to do it right. It's not like you're planning to bubba a rare piece of history.

I don't know if CC has got their act together, but I recall a few ummm issues they had awhile back. I think it was tracked on sigforum, but could be wrong here.

Black chrome is extremely fragile... much more so that conventional chrome, and far more than hard chrome. If this is a gun you like to use... stay away from black chrome.

If you can find someone to do it, IP (Ion plating) or PVD (Physical Vapor Deposition) is far more durable, and when polished is almost as deep and shiny as black chrome.

If you have the $$$... there's also CVD (Chemical Vapor Deposition) and DLC ("Diamond-like" Carbon). Both are brilliant... both are very expensive.

C

I'm trying to forget that I ever saw that picture of that OD revolver! I am trying very hard to fight the urge to go buy one and do that to it! I absolutely love that!

i've read a lot of good things about ford's gunsmithing and got to digging around on their website and found black nickel anybody know anything about that?

Also from what i've read on black chrome and durability is that its a very close second to hard chrome and much more durable than a blueing

gun51.JPG