JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Its not too often I find something worth reviewing and recommending to others... I had a good experience so I thought I would share...

In many ways kydex is superior for holsters but after years on the kydex bandwagon I wanted something more comfortable and less "tacticool" and more personal style... So last summer I took some time searching far and wide on the web for a quality leather OWB holster. There are a lot of leather holster makers out there, but I'm a picky customer and found many of them not very practical... after a few months of searching I narrowed it down to Bitterroot Gunleather, a guy making custom holsters out of Victor Montana.

first, I'll share the most important part... the customer experience, was top notch. I could only place an order by phone and from there I talked with the guy directly where he asked me questions on the type of holster I wanted, the type of leather, trim and even down to the thread type and color. Although I ordered one of the styles he regularly produces, everything else was custom ordered. From there he laid out the terms, payment and wait time and confirmed everything with both a text and email once I paid via paypal.

Second, the holster arrived on time and with communication once shipped... and I was instantly pleased the moment I saw it the fit and finish was just beautiful. I wanted something darker colored so it wouldn't stand out so I picked what he calls "pooled sequoia" which I think is his proprietary finish that has a brushed look, the trim I picked solid black and finished it out with copper colored thread. He offers more customization with hand tooled stamping, lettering and even rail lights but I kept it simple.

pictures or it didn't happen, here is his pic of my exact holster (from his Facebook page)
23379880_1965278953761065_3468853473503365579_n.jpg

Home

lots of photos of his work on his Instagram page: Caleb Koller (@bitterroot_gunleather) • Instagram photos and videos

Gosh, that is some beautiful work. I was surprised that the prices weren't crazy either.
His prices start out very reasonable but one thing I noticed was his turnaround time was also reasonable compared to many other leather holster makers out there...

That's my favorite style holster and I have a new pistol that needs some gunleather. I'm going to look him up. Thanks a bunch Koda.
it is for me now too.. I was skeptical at first how it would compare to pulling the gun in closer to the body like a traditional pancake style but it does great and takes up less space without that front "wing".

bitterroot002.jpg

bitterroot003.jpg

the cellphone pic really brings out the red hue in the leather dye but its much darker like the pic I posted above...

I'll have to call this guy up and see if he can make one for a P226 MK25. He should make you a mag pouch to match for all of the business you're going to bring him. ;)

Let me ask you this...on the slide guard, is the notch for the safety in the on or off position?

In the on position but he will make it in any position you ask for.

If you have a specific need just ask him and he will do it. I asked specifically for an extra tight retention since its leather and no slide serrations molded in since the Springfield isnt my only 1911. He will make whatever you ask.. Was my experience.

Now that is the response indicating an awesome holster maker. You wouldn't believe the problems I have had with 1911 gunleather made with the safety in the off position, even after special request to have it in the on position.

Now that is the response indicating an awesome holster maker. You wouldn't believe the problems I have had with 1911 gunleather made with the safety in the off position, even after special request to have it in the on position.

I can't even begin to contemplate the idea of a holster with the safety molded in the off position, the default on all holsters should be safety on.

I feel your pain though, befor I found this guy I ordered one from a different maker, had to send it back and still wasnt happy (very weak retention and inadequate trigger coverage...).
Thats why I wanted to give my review here, no affiliation just that quality craftsmanship is hard to find and I want this guy to stay in buisness cause I have another holster idea I want him to make for me.

Beautiful holster! The holster business is extremely competitive, so
one is often surprised by the reasonable prices for great work.

Bitterroot......humm...I've had girlfriends call me that??? I don't get it!

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top