JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So, this one has been kicking around the noggin for a while. There is a large-bore silencer in the works, so the idea of a .45-70 levergun, or perhaps .454 Casull, that is silenced strikes me as quite corking. I'm planning on heading up to Eugene early this coming week for some shenanigans so can stop at various establishments for review, in addition to online looking.

Thoughts on a platform that is:

• A lever-action.
  • In .45/70 Government. (Possibly other, but strongly favoriting this chambering.)
  • Factory threaded. (Preferably, though not necessarily, 11/16 x 24 tpi)
  • Four or five-round capacity. (More is great, but no biggie.)
I believe Marlin makes one (this would work) and also I believe Henry (no direct experience). Thoughts?

Marlin, Hands Down! Don't bother with Henry, and don't bugger up a good Winchester! Keep in mind, if you do go this route your going to have all sorts of "Fun" cleaning and maintaining a suppressor, especially chootin the holy black, which is way cooler in this caliber then it should be! :D:D:D

I remember drooling hard over the .47-70 Whisper wildcat cartridge a few years back, but some quick googling seems to imply that the project died :(.

Unfortunately I don't know of any lever guns that come factory threaded, at least not in the .45-70 chambering. Good luck with your search!

I like my threaded Guide Gun in 45/70. I have a Hybrid suppressor for it. It is hearing safe with trapdoor loads, but not really "quiet". That is a lot of expanding gas to move. I have been thinking a 45LC lever might work better. I have a Contender barrel in 45LC I think I will get threaded to try this concept on.

Thanks all. Random follow up thoughts:

• I've seen both a Marlin and Henry that are factory threaded, so I know they exist.
  • Of the two, I'd heavily lean toward Marlin. I currently run a suppressed, stainless Marlin 1894 and love the setup.
  • I have zero experience of any kind with the Henrys. Comments I've seen on NWFA seem to be all over the board too.
  • I wouldn't modify a classic levergun or such a project. Even my wackiness is checked by some standards.
  • I used to do the .45/70 thing and the cartridge has a lot going for it.
  • It is exceedingly unlikely I would shoot blackpowder loads, though I could see how that might be fun. Well, not through a can.
  • I never heard of the .45/70 Whisper, but that does look quite neat-o.
  • This project isn't "high priority" as there are other things going on, both firearms (considering an M1A setup soon) and not (2020 has been a dumpster-fire in general, but bunch of expensive repairs on top of that), that are more pressing. So I have time.
Thanks much. :s0155:

My Guide gun was bought to use, and was before the Remilins. It does have the safety. I had no problem with getting it threaded to do what I wanted with it.
I will probably thread the 45/70 Handi rifle I have also. Probably the same time I get the Contender and .357 Handi rifle I have threaded. One nice thing about the suppressor is how it reduces felt recoil. Though, subsonic loads really don't have much recoil.

Marlin, Hands Down! Don't bother with Henry, and don't bugger up a good Winchester! Keep in mind, if you do go this route your going to have all sorts of "Fun" cleaning and maintaining a suppressor, especially chootin the holy black, which is way cooler in this caliber then it should be! :D:D:D

While I agree subsonic loads shooting holy black are easily achievable, the suppressor buildup would be horrendous. After you pry them apart (assuming you have to pound them out of the tube), you'd need a power washer and a jig to hold your baffles! Similar problem with a monocore. I think you'd have fun once then never do it again.

Whilst talking to a new friend in the Emerald City last night, I was also farting around Gunbroker.

There was a Marlin already so setup:
Marlin.png

A Chiappa, which was surprising, though considering their ghastly other offerings, I don't think so:

Chiappa.png

And a classic Marlin that would, of course, require threading by a competent gunsmith. Better, imho:

marlin2.png

And I just lost my train of thought again. Honk-honk.

I have seen these in stock at various places. The 45LC one is nice, and I have handled one, but I have not seen one in stock lately

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top