JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I started out looking at the Beretta 96.....was also introduced to the Taurus clone. I have a hard time telling the difference from 5 feet away. Price is certainly better for the Taurus by as much as $200 bucks.
I've found a Taurus PT 101 AF NIB for $430 out the door. The Beretta 96 A1 will run me somewhere between $600 and $650.
I know Taurus had some issues in the past but, from what I can read now, they are establishing a good track record for quality, reliability and customer service.

I would like to hear from those of you that have some first hand experience with the Beretta and the Taurus.
My question:
Would Taurus be as reliable as the Beretta?
I was told that about 90% of the Beretta parts would interchange with Taurus.............could that be true?

If you want it as a shooter, go with the Taurus. If you are going to bet your life on it, buy the Beretta.

I know there are a lot of people who don't care for the 92/96 platform, but I have owned a 96FS Stainless a long time and it's one of my most reliable. The one feature that is overlooked is the wide open ejection port..there really isn't one. What other handgun could you clear easier than the Beretta in case of a malfunction?

I have the taurus pt92f in stainless and has been great. No issues that I can remember in the 1000+ rounds through it, no matter the ammo. I have read the stories about quality issues with taurus but I have yet to experience anything of the sort. I would depend on it, and do as it's my at bedside every night.

I have the taurus pt92f in stainless and has been great. No issues that I can remember in the 1000+ rounds through it, no matter the ammo. I have read the stories about quality issues with taurus but I have yet to experience anything of the sort. I would depend on it, and do as it's my at bedside every night.

If after 1,000 rounds, I too would count on it. You can get good and bad in anything, but B5Ben, it would appear your Taurus has passed the test.

with either one make sure that your mags are clean, springs are tight, the bodies aren't dented, and the lips are straight. 99% of the problems that I ran into with the M9, 92fs, pt92, could be traced to the mags. Oh and recoil spring, whatever you buy, if its used, replace the spring ASAP, and make sure to replace it when it starts to get spongy, which should be ~5000 rounds. Lots of guys don't do this and the locking block self destructs.

Whenever I had to carry one I always took a few recoil springs with me and my own mags. Oddly enough I never had malfunctions and the guys that used the worn to hell ones from the armory did.

I've read quite a bit on the Beretta 96 and the Taurus clone now. Not too many negatives on the Beretta........some dislike the safety. More negatives on the Taurus............most don't have specifics, just a general dislike for the brand. I talked with an NRA instructor that carries a Taurus 92 9mm and has for years. He had plenty of good to say about both brands......just likes the Taurus better.......again the safety was mentioned.........and price.
The new Taurus PT 101 has adjustable rear sights, Beretta 96 does not. I see that as a plus. I'm a right handed shooter with poor technique. My pistol shots are usually left and a little low. If I have trouble changing my shooting technique, the sight adjustment would be helpful.
One other issue that came up was the rail under the barrel on the Taurus (laser or light mounting). It was mentioned that it may be difficult to find an appropriate holster to carry the Taurus. I don't know if that will be a problem or not........haven't looked at holsters yet.

Thanks all, for the input so far. Very helpful

I've read quite a bit on the Beretta 96 and the Taurus clone now. Not too many negatives on the Beretta........some dislike the safety. More negatives on the Taurus............most don't have specifics, just a general dislike for the brand. I talked with an NRA instructor that carries a Taurus 92 9mm and has for years. He had plenty of good to say about both brands......just likes the Taurus better.......again the safety was mentioned.........and price.
The new Taurus PT 101 has adjustable rear sights, Beretta 96 does not. I see that as a plus. I'm a right handed shooter with poor technique. My pistol shots are usually left and a little low. If I have trouble changing my shooting technique, the sight adjustment would be helpful.
One other issue that came up was the rail under the barrel on the Taurus (laser or light mounting). It was mentioned that it may be difficult to find an appropriate holster to carry the Taurus. I don't know if that will be a problem or not........haven't looked at holsters yet.

Thanks all, for the input so far. Very helpful

The rail issue will only apply if you buy a PT92/101 with a rail,they also come railless,after having owned both the Beretta 92 and a Taurus PT101 I've noticed that there is not really any difference when shooting them,the ony major difference are that the PT 92/101 has a better safety(1911 style vs P38 style) that allows condition one carry cocked and locked or double action with the safety off,the beretta only gives you one option to carry double action with the safety off.

I agree with the recil spring, but that really applies to all hundguns. As for magazines, I use Mecgar's AFC. You also receive the added advantage of 2 additional round capacity if you wish. I choice to load it light, but have found I really like them.
With the Beretta 96, some have hollow guide rods and some are plastic. Some after I purchased mine, I added a Steve Bedair solid stainless rod. It adds just a tad extra weight, but it cycles perfectly.

BerettaGR.jpg

My question:
Would Taurus be as reliable as the Beretta?

I have no experience with Taurus (and i am not saying it would not be reliable), but confidence in your equipment is paramount in high stress situations. If you have this question at all, get the one you feel confident in. This is why so many people trust Glock, S&W, Beretta, and Sig.

I got a Taurus PT92AF in a trade and it shoots anything I put through it and I am not a big Taurus fan. The more I shoot it the more I like it. It is the older model without the decocker and has a steel guide rod, think I stumbled on a good one. Was going to trade it off but think I will hang onto this one.

Thanks for all the good info and suggestions.

I'm going to go with the Taurus PT 101AF. I couldn't resist the deal for a NIB 101AF on Guns America for $370.00 bucks. With shipping and the FFL transfer it will total $430.00 to my door. I believe Taurus has a solid weapon that will compete favorably against the reputation and reliability of the Beretta. I like quality, name brand firearms as well as anyone. I own Colt, Dan Wesson, Ruger and several other quality pistols. If I thought the Beretta was actually $200.00 bucks better, I would buy one. If the Taurus performs as it should, I'll be well satisfied and money ahead.

A lot of guys feel just like you. My shooting buddy is a ex-navy special forces Gunners Mate and scoffs at any emerging brands. His life depended on guns that worked and Beretta has proven itself to work.
I decided on the Taurus because I think it has proven itself in recent years. I've had both the Beretta and the Taurus side by side on the sales counter. Honestly, they are as close to identical twins as I have ever seen.
I hope the Taurus is as good as I believe it to be.........I'll do an inside inspection to check for burrs or rough surfaces and such. It may need a little touch up here or there to satisfy me but, I'm OK with that. I believe it will turn out to be as reliable as a Beretta at a bargain price. And the best part, it looks just like the Beretta 96.........one of my favorite designs.

I have enough experience with the Taurus 101 now I can honestly say it is a very good firearm. I've fired factory rounds (165 gr FP) and hand loads (165 gr RN) through it with not one problem. I like the controls, it breaks down easily for cleaning, it is very accurate at 30 - 50 feet. The clip is a pain to load but, my navy buddy's M&P and his Springfield XD are no better.
Finding a suitable leather holster wasn't easy. I finally got a DeSantis that was close. I soaked the holster in warm water for half an hour, wrapped the Taurus in plastic wrap, forced the pistol into the holster, put a wood yard stick through the belt loops and let it dry for 24 hours. Now I have a custom fit holster and it works great..............found the holster for $50 bucks at Sportsman's Warehouse. Same thing I was finding on-line for $75 - $100 bucks.
Looking back, I would buy the Taurus again. I've examined it closely and am impressed with the fit, finish, reliability, accuracy and price...........and it looks like a Beretta........one of my favorite designs.