JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just bought one of these and am I impressed, made a batch of 155gr SWC's as a first load and had zero function problems, and shot 100 rounds into a 2" group at 12 yards. Anyone else have one of these? Or opinions about the firearm? I think I'll look for some bowling pin matches to shoot with it.

The more I shoot this the better I like it, ran my hand load over the Cronograph, 155 swc's are running 1100 FPS so if I was to shoot competitively that's good enough for major class.

I have one that I have owned for almost 20 years. It's a great pistol, that's for sure. Although I am a 1911 man thru-and-thru, I will probably never get rid of this 96. Taught both my kids to shoot on this, and now my daughter sports 1911's, but my sons favorite is his Beretta PX4 Storm in 45ACP. He still likes to shoot the 96 on occasion though. I bought it to replace the yearning I had after selling my 92. I carried that 92 for a few years before going back to the 1911 platform, where I have been ever since. But I did miss that 92, but being a 45 guy I thought the 96 would be a better fit. I still kinda miss that 92, but the 96 is a great shooter! I have thought about sending it in to Wilson Combat for their special touch. But for now it and its memories just sit in the safe until one of the kids ask about it...then it comes out for some fun! I do load for 45 and 9mm, but don't shoot enough 40 to set up and load for it. Sorry I can't comment on loads for the 40. But enjoy that 96 of yours!!!

I came late to Beretta's, other than a tip up .22 maybe 30 years ago. After buying a M-92 retiree of the Bridgeport Conn police dept a couple of years ago and having a fellow member kindly tell me how to bring it back to glory, I can say three things.
1. Beretta's are fine, precise machines!
2. I want more of them!
3. I want a M-96, and .40 would be perfectly fine with me!
Enjoy your new pistol!:D

Just bought a 96A1 myself after selling something else, but haven't shot it yet. I had a 92A1 before that I had sold, and regretted doing so. I wanted to do the 96 this time because I'm a fan of multi-caliber options and the option to use the 96 to shoot 9mm is a nice option. Reading multiple forums, which included folks that talked directly with Beretta, the slides will readily accept a 9mm barrel/locking lug in the 96 frame. It appears that's all that's needed to swap calibers - you can even use the .40 magazines (though I'll use 9mm magazines for better reliability). If the barrel swap alone isn't reliable, I'll get a 9mm slide to go with it later.

Like @Sgt Nambu , I'm a bit late to the Beretta game, but I have admired the 92/96 series for quite a while.

I've owned this "Lethal Weapon" since '87-88 and carried it while on PSD duty for the USAREUR CINC... the borders this thing has crossed.

It ran (runs) SMOOTH as a Ferrari and is ACURATE. I put the Pachmar wrap-around on it (back then) to better fit my hands.

image.jpeg

Although it's a 92F, I'm sure the 96 is stellar too. I just never got excited enough over 40S&W to buy anything in that caliber. I love (almost) all things Beretta.

I'm late to the Beretta game as well having carried a 1911 in the service. When the armed forces went to the as I called it the "wonder 9" I turned up my nose at it. A 1911 in 45ACP was just the way things were supposed to be. The first chink in my armor was the purchase of a concealed carry in 40 S&W. The 45's were too much in the small frames and I'm still not impressed with the 9. After reloading and shooting the M&P 40 Shield a bunch I came to like the high energy 40. The next chink was to actually shoot a M-92, That gun shot well and fit my hand like it was made for it. Fast forward a few months and I see a m-96 A-1 at a reasonable price and it came home with me. I've still got my 1911 so if I shoot competitions I can shoot in 2 classes. Fun stuff, it's good to have options.

I've owned this "Lethal Weapon" since '87-88 and carried it while on PSD duty for the USAREUR CINC... the borders this thing has crossed.

It ran (runs) SMOOTH as a Ferrari and is ACURATE. I put the Pachmar wrap-around on it (back then) to better fit my hands.

View attachment 265092

Although it's a 92F, I'm sure the 96 is stellar too. I just never got excited enough over 40S&W to buy anything in that caliber. I love (almost) all things Beretta.

I've read a lot about the F to FS changes made by Beretta due to the supposed concern over slides separating from the frame under certain conditions. Have you ever been concerned with that on your 92F? I imagine by now your pistol has had thousands of rounds with no signs of issues?

Fast forward a few months and I see a m-96 A-1 at a reasonable price and it came home with me.

Did you get it new or used? I just found mine new for $150 less than I'd seen it anywhere else. I looked for used models, but was having no luck - every time I found a listing, they were already sold.

I've read a lot about the F to FS changes made by Beretta due to the supposed concern over slides separating from the frame under certain conditions. Have you ever been concerned with that on your 92F? I imagine by now your pistol has had thousands of rounds with no signs of issues?

I've never had any worries, and I believe those issues were mainly with CONUS made models, and not the Italian made ones. This is an Italian made version.

It's almost 30 years old now, and is more of a safe-queen and rarely gets shot anymore. Although I bought it NIB and was always privately owned, it's the closest thing to a "war trophy" a vet can get since they shut that practice down 1-1/2 generations ago... so it's treated more like a "warrior relic" that'll (hopefully) be a family heirloom when I'm gone.... in 60 years. :D

Stomper, nice looking 92! Details on the light/laser? I forgot about the 'Lethal Weapon" fad surrounding the 92...might even be why I got mine all those years ago! I had the full wrap Pachs on my 92 too. Really liked them. I have a set of Hogues for my 96 but prefer the G-10's I got from Derwood MFG.

oremike, don't sweat the 'chinks', some call it progress! Just keep that 1911!!!

Did you get it new or used? I just found mine new for $150 less than I'd seen it anywhere else. I looked for used models, but was having no luck - every time I found a listing, they were already sold.
I bought it new, saw a used one for 100 bucks less than I paid, after I'd bought mine.....

Stomper, nice looking 92! Details on the light/laser? I forgot about the 'Lethal Weapon" fad surrounding the 92...might even be why I got mine all those years ago! I had the full wrap Pachs on my 92 too. Really liked them. I have a set of Hogues for my 96 but prefer the G-10's I got from Derwood MFG.

oremike, don't sweat the 'chinks', some call it progress! Just keep that 1911!!!

I was home on leave and bought the laser back in '92-ish (maybe '91) from the gun store that used to be on the corner of 82nd & Woodstock in SE PDX (don't remember the name anymore) for around $200 (big money for the time... and on Army pay). It was in a box called "On Duty", and that's all I really remember about it. It solidly mounts to the trigger guard (w/o marring it), was clean and integrated looking instead of looking like and afterthought "bolt-on"... and made it look like a "RoboCop" gun. It's worked great for all these years.

This was before Crimson Trace was on the scene and lasers were still "ooohhh-ahhhhh". ;)

Update on my Beretta, it's now sporting an adjustable rear sight and the load I've settled on for it is a 180 gn hardcast FP. It's become the gun I shoot the most, it's just that fun and accurate.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top