JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello all,

I purchased a really cool 1983 vintage Beretta 92SB-C from a pawn shop today. Naturally it didn't come with any magazines. Does anyone know what type of magazines that will fit this thing like it was originally intended? I get the impression that regular 92 mags will fit? Will they stick out the bottom?

Thanks

Nice find!

The 92SB-C takes the same 13 round magazine as the current 92FS Compact and will accept any Beretta 92 mag with a thumb release button (early models had heal releases). So you could just get some cheap surplus Checkmate M9 mags and they would work great, while sticking out the bottom a half inch.

One thing you will find is that the SB and SB-C models and a straight front strap, so the current floor plates will stick forward awkwardly. So if you want something presentable, you'll want to get 92 Compact mags and replace the floorplates with a flat metal plate with a short tongue - which you might find from a number of other similar magazines, or as a new part from Mec-Gar for their Taurus PT92 magazines.

Last Edited:
Good advice above from @RX-79G

IMO that's a very desirable gun. The 92SB is the best iteration of the 92 (Italian, blued, thumb mag release, etc) in a lot of minds. It was the only (and brief) variant that had all those traits: blued slide, thumb mag release, all were Italian made. It was originally uniquely designed for the USAF and why it came about. I have an M9 and a 92FS Centurion (first gen). The 92SB is the only thing I think is "cooler" or more desirable and when I can find one, regular or compact, I will snap it up. That was (SB) also the first compact offered, IIRC.

If you just want to shoot it, any 92 magazine will work, as he said. If you want to carry it, a correct 13rd non-flared front strap magazine (short base pad) from the period would be best. Reloads can come from any other 92 magazine, so you really only need one original-type mag.

if you look at this taxonomy from Luck Gunner, you can get the vibe of the design changes here:

https://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/guide-beretta-92/

(It does not highlight the front stap flare alteration, however, which happened from SB to F).

This gunbroker auction has a correct SB-C with a bunch of orignal mags that show the floor plate, as well as the different floorplates.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/998548288

Post pics of the gun when you get it home, please. Sounds cool; I love the SB variants.

Mechgar makes the Beretta mags, and are normally cheaper than the Beretta stamped ones. They also make the compact. The compact is a 15 round and comes with the pinky extension, but you can get a standard base plate for it.

Last Edited:
I will most definitely post photos of it when my background check clears. It's running around seven business days so hopefully I can get it next week.

I ended up ordering some new ten rounders and some flat base plates for the magazines. I would love to someday find some originals, but I get the feeling that will be a tall order.

I'm really glad I decided to buy this particular gun. I just kind of went with my gut. I've always wanted a Beretta 92, and I really like Cold War era weapons. This most definitely fits the bill. I'm also thankful 9mm is fairly cheap now too!

Are these the correct style of magazines?

Thanks
Sure looks like it.

350px-92SB-C.jpg

I'm surprised anyone has the original mags for those guns - which is why I suggested how to change out base plates on the current mags. But they are asking $65 for them.

Here it is! I picked up some 10 rounders on the internet. I know the floor plate isn't correct, but I don't mind it that much. I added the wood grips and correct slotted grip screws. When I bought it, it had warped and mangled plastic grips with weird torx screws. I thought the wood grips would make it look even classier. This is seriously one of my all time favorite guns.

IMG_2278.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads