JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This year I was thinking about taking my old atv hunting, I have always thought about using it but never have. I have actually never taken it to the woods at all, I primarily use it for working around my property. So I was wondering, do I need a permit if I stay on logging roads- or will anyone care? On gated road that don't have a sign saying "no motorized vehicles" can I go down them as long as I stay on the road? Are helmets required even while driving slowly while looking for deer trails and whatnot? From what I have read it seems as I need a atv permit, a saftey card, and a helmet... seems kinda crazy just for some logging road scouting, I understand why this is required for trail riding and the dunes. that's why I am asking, so I don't waste time and money on unnecessary things.

Yep it will need to have the atv permit. Usually on the gravel roads your fine without a helmet. I've never had anyone say anything about not wearing one. But I hunt in rural areas with very few people.. Some areas they may say something about not wearing one. Your rifle needs to be unloaded while your on it.

I am disabled and ride my ATV from my home here in Lincoln City to and on the beach.
I don't wear a helmet.
You have to get a permit (sticker) to display on the ATV. Also take the free safety course on line.
I think an ATV is a great way to get to your stand or hunting area.
Just be considerate of other hunters. And tread lightly. I also advocate
the use of hunter Orange.

What about gated roads without no vehicle signs?

If you're going into National Forest, you need to check the regulations before riding on side roads that look like they may not be open to motorized vehicles. Doesn't seem like USFS has taken the time in years to post new signs, even though doing so would help everyone figure out what's closed and what's not.

Check these out for USFS roads:

http://www.fs.fed.us/recreation/programs/ohv/ohv_maps.shtml

http://apps.fs.fed.us/TravelAccess/

I also wrote a tongue-in-cheek thread on here last year about ATVs and hunting (much of which was based on my personal observations):

https://www.northwestfirearms.com/threads/a-non-local-hunters-frequently-asked-questions.178238/

Good luck hunting.

Last Edited:
I usually ride my atv in about 10 miles where vehicles can't go.. Then I hike in from there anywhere from 3-12 miles depending on where I see an animal..
I've only worn a helmet when it was snowing and I used it to keep my head warm!!

There are nice to get from one spot to another but they do make allot of noise.. Kinda worthless for actually hunting from...

OHV Sticker
OHV Operator's License
OHV & Hunting Rules ORS 821.240

http://www.oregonlaws.org/ors/821.240

a. No round in the chamber
b. Next cylinder (on revolvers) must be empty
c. Arrows must be in quiver

As far as tactics are concerned; some people use the engine to get to the top of a hill, then shut down and coast for stealth; similar to what many bicyclists do, only using a vehicle to get to the top.

As nice as most of the roads are in Oregon; the privacy, security, and mobility of an automobile usually means most ATVS stay in camp or off the packing list.

MTN Bike behind the gates are the way to go, if equipped, willing, & able.

I use my OHVs for scouting because I stay with the OHV :D

Last Edited:
Thanks oathkeeper, I was actually considering a mtn bike... I have a pretty decent bike and I used to ride alot. Seems like a good option to cover alot of ground quickly and then it would be easy to hide in the brush while slow hunting or whatnot.

Don't know about anyone else, but hunting on an ATV is something that has always grated me the wrong way. I am a meat hunter, but still believe in working for what I take. Hate the noise from ATV's, the tearing up of the trails and terrain, just the entire scenario that surrounds them I dislike.
The only thing I would ever use one for it packing an elk out of an area that was too damned far for me to pack out inside a day. 5 Trips on foot is good for your health. Anything more than that becomes work LOL.
ATV's should stay in ATV playgrounds or on the farm. Not in the hunting fields.
But that is just me........................:mad:

I posted extensively about quad issues on a similar thread a while back. There is a whole lot more to it (legally) than just having your OHV sticker and the operator's card in hand. The Forest Circus has made it to where if you take your quad out in the woods you WILL be violating several laws - and if you don't have a good, working knowledge of the laws you can be cited for 'something' , I spent several hours in the Forest Service office in Bend one day going over this with them and came out knowing this:
- the Forest Service started out with an ambitious plan to establish OHV regs, it became a HUGE 'monster' so they quietly just dropped it, unfinished.
- at any time you are operating your quad in the National Forest you WILL be violating several laws you probably don't know about.
- Essentially enforcement of these laws will be left to the digression of the FS LEO who WILL stop you if you are seen in the woods.
I am not making any of this up - I did my 'homework' like a good, law abiding citizen and because of this I sold my quad. The answer is VERY simple - if Oregon would just license quads (like many states have) there would be no problem but it doesn't look like that is going to happen anytime soon.

You might see or hear me out and about on my ATV. I'll be the guy with one leg. I will do my best to not disturb anyone. I know there are some people with some not so visible disabilities that use an ATV to enjoy the outdoors. And I am always happy to help haul out a deer or elk. Or, give a guy who has been on a 12 mile hike, a ride back to camp. LOL .

You might see or hear me out and about on my ATV. I'll be the guy with one leg. I will do my best to not disturb anyone. I know there are some people with some not so visible disabilities that use an ATV to enjoy the outdoors. And I am always happy to help haul out a deer or elk. Or, give a guy who has been on a 12 mile hike, a ride back to camp. LOL .
You are the exception :)
You have good reason to use one. Most dont.

- at any time you are operating your quad in the National Forest you WILL be violating several laws you probably don't know about.

This. Non-highway vehicles are not legal on most major forest roads, and many minor roads are closed to motorized traffic. Most of these are not gated or posted, so you need the free annual motorized vehicle maps for that ranger district.

Also remember National Wilderness areas are off-limits to OHVs as well.

If you observe illegal OHV use, please report to our TIPS hotline and claim the $200 reward.

http://www.oregon.gov/osp/fw/pages/f_w_tip.aspx

Increasing damage to wildlife habitat by off-road vehicles prompted the Oregon Hunters Association (OHA) in 2009 to create the Natural Resources Reward Program that offers a $200 reward for information leading to the arrest of anyone causing natural resources damage by the illegal use of motorized vehicles and is similar to its highly successful TIP program.

Thanks. I think I have decided against using my atv. This is the first year I have considered it... I don't think it would be very effective since pretty much everywhere it is legal to ride- I can drive my car/truck!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top