JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ok, I used to be a lot better at knowing the laws in and out but over the past few years I have been busy with other things. Here is my question. If Such a person in Oregon can legally own firearms and has a friend in MN who also can and has a Carry Conceal License and the friend in MN wants to order two lower receivers from a company and will have them sent to his FFL in MN. That friend then wants to send both receivers to the friend in OR who will build them from the ground up with select parts over time and when deals are found to get the best price for those soon to be expensive guns. Both will be semi-auto only and MN doesn't have any dumb laws like CA restricting common accessories. So I ask, knowing this is a forum and not legal aid, can a friend send the receivers once he gets them in MN to OR and then at a later time send the complete guns back to him using FED Ex or UPS? Feel free to ask anymore questions and I will appreciate all comments. Thanks

Sure, as long as they are sent to a FFL and you complete a background check and he completes a second one when you send them back. It would be much simpler to have them sent to your FFL to begin with

Sure, as long as they are sent to a FFL and you complete a background check and he completes a second one when you send them back. It would be much simpler to have them sent to your FFL to begin with
But, If I had them sent to me from the manufacture to my FFL, wouldn't they then be "technically" in my name, and then what, when I sent them back to MN, I would have to do a transfer into his name with his FFL? For some reason I thought there was a clause on "lending" or to a family member that Shipment of a stripped lower could just be sent Fed Ex. I maybe going down to Arizona in the new year and could just deliver both of them to him. A vacation place. I know, its a lot of stupid B.S. but he doesn't want to wrench at all on the guns. Thank you for the insight though, I figured this was a bigger hassle then needed. I didn't think I needed to at a time register them in my name. Only reason is I like to buy FTF.

But, If I had them sent to me from the manufacture to my FFL, wouldn't they then be "technically" in my name, and then what, when I sent them back to MN, I would have to do a transfer into his name with his FFL? For some reason I thought there was a clause on "lending" or to a family member that Shipment of a stripped lower could just be sent Fed Ex. I maybe going down to Arizona in the new year and could just deliver both of them to him. A vacation place. I know, its a lot of stupid B.S. but he doesn't want to wrench at all on the guns. Thank you for the insight though, I figured this was a bigger hassle then needed. I didn't think I needed to at a time register them in my name. Only reason is I like to buy FTF.
Better yet, I am just going to order four lowers, he will order two completes and as will I, and then build two high end uppers and simply mail them to his doorstep. That way I can test them on my lowers which should be very close and all will be well. Just seems like too much hassle and a good way for problems the other way. He will have to suck it up and install the different stocks but I can still figure out the best buffers to use.

Being a Lower has nothing to do with it. This is the same as if you were shipping a complete firearm around as far as federal law is concerned. And those have to travel through FFL books. He can send the lowers to your FFL who will do the BGC charge you X amount and then when you want to transfer them back to him they will have to be shipped to a FFL in his home state where a BGC will be done transferring them back to his possession. Handing them to him while you are both in AZ would be a crime.

What I do know from personal experience is that a firearm owner can legally ship a firearm to a licensed firearm manufacturer for the purposes of modification and / or repair, and they can ship it back to the legal owner, if the ownership of the firearm doesn't change. You can send a firearm back to the manufacturer for repair, or to a custom shop for modification (if they are a licensed manufacturer), and they can ship it back without FFL intervention.

But, since none of that applies to you or your buddy, you're going to have to go through FFL's for the transfers. IronMonster and Mark W spelled it out pretty clearly.

What I do know from personal experience is that a firearm owner can legally ship a firearm to a licensed firearm manufacturer for the purposes of modification and / or repair, and they can ship it back to the legal owner, if the ownership of the firearm doesn't change. You can send a firearm back to the manufacturer for repair, or to a custom shop for modification (if they are a licensed manufacturer), and they can ship it back without FFL intervention.

But, since none of that applies to you or your buddy, you're going to have to go through FFL's for the transfers. IronMonster and Mark W spelled it out pretty clearly.
Manufacturers and custom shops are FFLs, and the gun arrives and departs through their FFL records.
One simple rule: unlicensed folks can't transfer guns across state lines.

Thank you all and my memory has been replaced. Nothing across state lines without a FFL. Got it, and thanks for the info refreshment. I am just going to go the route I last explained. Gives me a excuse to build a few more myself. Thanks again.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top