JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Will this end up being like the calculator, where people get so used to a computer doing everything for them, they can't do the same task without?

Will this end up being like the calculator, where people get so used to a computer doing everything for them, they can't do the same task without?
I see it more as - the average rifleman isn't doing these sorts of calculations given current equipment…this allows them to more effectively extend their range and ability to shoot someone at distance.

It's not doing calculations someone did before…it's a completely new opportunity for them.

Still, when I again miss that shot at distance, I'm not looking forward to my rifle now telling me I suck. Thanks Siri.

Isn't this a good thing? Just like a calculator may allow an engineer to solve complex problems quickly and without having to spend an hour writing out complex equations, this scope would allow soldiers to immediately make shots that would otherwise take a lot of complex math to achieve, math that your typical infantryman is likely not trained to do on the fly.

I see it more as - the average rifleman isn't doing these sorts of calculations given current equipment…this allows them to more effectively extend their range and ability to shoot someone at distance.

It's not doing calculations someone did before…it's a completely new opportunity for them.

Still, when I again miss that shot at distance, I'm not looking forward to my rifle now telling me I suck. Thanks Siri.
That plus it needs a wind sensor, which it doesn't have. They may find a way to detect the wind along the bullet path, with a laser or something, I don't know - but even then, the wind changes from moment to moment, so the penultimate solution would be a laser target designator and a guided projectile - which I think will eventually be feasible, but probably expensive for the projectiles. The ultimate solution would be fire and forget with automated target detection and designation - at that point, we will probably be fighting with autonomous robots, or at least drones piloted remotely, which we are doing now with bombs & missiles.

OTOH, if you only need to fire one shot per target and you are assured of hitting the target, especially with fire & forget, you are not wasting ammo so the overall cost reduction might make it worth it.

That said, I believe this to be an improvement. Interesting comments about the ACOG.

That plus it needs a wind sensor, which it doesn't have. They may find a way to detect the wind along the bullet path, with a laser or something, I don't know - but even then, the wind changes from moment to moment, so the penultimate solution would be a laser target designator and a guided projectile - which I think will eventually be feasible, but probably expensive for the projectiles. The ultimate solution would be fire and forget with automated target detection and designation - at that point, we will probably be fighting with autonomous robots, or at least drones piloted remotely, which we are doing now with bombs & missiles.

OTOH, if you only need to fire one shot per target and you are assured of hitting the target, especially with fire & forget, you are not wasting ammo so the overall cost reduction might make it worth it.

That said, I believe this to be an improvement. Interesting comments about the ACOG.
Reporting for Duty:

1630510070730.png

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top