JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Are gun laws fair?

It all depends who you ask, while doing research for my upcoming book in December. I found some disturbing demographic information. Upon looking at the many gun laws that are passed to restrict, or punish those in possession of firearm. I found that a select few are at the mercy of these laws when they are passed.
Of course, any person that violates the law, could be held accountable for it. But what I found was some very uncomfortable information. As we know, the majority of the large cities in this country, generally have the most restrictive gun laws. That's probably no secret and we all are aware of it. What you did not know and I was not aware of, that in these large cities. The majority of people that are held accountable, to unconstitutional firearms laws, are minorities. Actually the black community seems to be the high target according to FBI and DHS statistics. It's not something we want to admit or even know about because it makes us uncomfortable as a society. But it is disturbing to see that we know specific political parties make these decisions and pass these laws. But there also resulting in the law abiding minorities becoming criminals when these are passed.

This is where it gets very interesting, according to the statistics in this country. Across the board, and across this country. When a firearms violation takes place on a law abiding citizen, it is over 90%, a person of color. And the majority of that 90% are men. With only a small percentage of other races making up the arrest that take place.

I am not trying to make this topic about race because I realize that's not allowed on the forum, what I'm trying to do is put forward, there is a dark side to passing gun laws that I had not seen until doing research for my book. So to keep this short, this is not including gang related statistics.
This is according to government records, that 90% of law abiding people, that were able to own and possess or carry a firearm legally prior to these laws. Where other minority background persons that were arrested. That means just like anyone at all, that had the ability to own a firearm, and had that right changed after a law passed. Would now become a criminal in the eyes of the law. It is beyond disturbing to think that a certain party is responsible for passing these laws, appeared to single out, the black community and minorities themselves who would normally be law-abiding citizens. I do not think its just coincidence this is the way it is.

So next time, you see laws being proposed in Washington, Oregon. You may be looking at this a little bit different than you have and realizing, that laws are being passed that make it dangerous for a certain group of people that are targeted by a political party. Simply to suppress their rights not necessarily all peoples rights.

Why do we toss sour milk but buy sour cream?
Why do we drive on parkways but park on driveways?
If all you had to survive was powdered water what would you add?

Good food for thought DH. I think there are so many moving parts that make this so. Most of these areas have high crime rate issues so there is more enforcement. It's a typical part of effective policing. Yet it is going to catch otherwise law abiding people, perhaps who only wish to protect themselves.

There can be many other reasons as well. Looking forward to your book, enjoy your posts as well.

Are Gun Laws Fair? We need to tighten up the wording. The exact wording. Answering this briefly and broadly ... "NO" ... gun laws are not fair. Most laws are not fair. Most Constitutional scholars insist natural law works best here. Others will say some laws are necessary.

We have a Constitution. We have the Second Amendment. It says what it says in common words used at that time. Strict interpretation is necessary. All the Amendments are equally valid. We can not weaken one without weakening the whole. My opinion only here.

Is it fair to punish a man because he has two legs and another guy has two legs and committed a crime?

We are punished for the crimes of others, merely by the association of our hobbies.

@DuneHopper, have you been drinking radiator fluid?
Nothing's fair. Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you're scrod, most times it's 'bout a push.
[eta]
Admittedly, I did not read your post before retorting above.
As you write,
o next time, you see laws being proposed in Washington, Oregon. You may be looking at this a little bit different than you have and realizing, that laws are being passed that make it dangerous for a certain group of people that are targeted by a political party. Simply to suppress their rights not necessarily all peoples rights.
You, Sir, are spot on.
I enjoy educating liberal friends about the black panthers, a name which they still equate with angry, fear mongering, militant blacks. I then tell them about the many social programs initiated by their organization which are now an integral part of child development, education and school lunch programs.
They are surprised when I tell them that the Gun Control Act of 1968 was intended to suppress them.

Last Edited:
So, gun laws are the new Jim Crow laws that democrats are using to lock up men of color... That would make a great sign, add in the statistics at the bottom. Watch snow flakes heads explode when they try to explain why they want more gun control.

As general rule.. I'd say no.
( It would be well to remember here that "Fair" doesn't always mean "Equal" )

A law is only effective if one wishes to abide by it...Since criminals already operate outside of the law...the laws in place generally only serve to restrict those , who want to be "lawful".
Andy

Have you noticed that.....

Large cities with large populations of minorities have "strict gun laws".

Must be a coincidence.

Then, these same large cities are mostly run by Dems.

Must be another coincidence.

But the cops are mostly _________ and they are racist. Black Lives Matter.

Rrrrrright.

Aloha, Mark

As general rule.. I'd say no.
( It would be well to remember here that "Fair" doesn't always mean "Equal" )

A law is only effective if one wishes to abide by it...Since criminals already operate outside of the law...the laws in place generally only serve to restrict those , who want to be "lawful".
Andy

Laws never "prevented" a thing, nor are they really intended to. Murder has ALWAYS been illegal, stealing has ALWAYS been illegal.... throughout human history. What laws do (by design) is to give the government (in all its various forms and levels) the authority, means, and course of action to contend with said offense.

The only ones who obey "the law" were never the ones "the law" was aimed at in the first place, because "the law" is for dealing with "the lawless" (always a small & constant presence) who disregard "the law", despite "the law" in the first place.

"The law" over time becomes weaponized by would be tyrants and is used under the guise of "safety & security" to restrict the freedoms of the the very ones who obey "the law" in the first place, while that "small & constant presence" carries on unabated (at least until they're caught or killed).....

LEO's do NOT protect me (or you) from anything (because I (and you) don't carry one around everywhere I (you) go at all times), not from criminals, not from disasters, and not from wild animals. They are merely historians and write up the after-action report, and chase after the perpetrator should they survive their attempt.

Any law that restricts the free exercise of a right and one's pursuit of happiness is complete and utter horsecrap. To the OP's point, however, there probably is a disproportional impact on minority communities. I am reminded of the Supreme Court case of McDonald v. City of Chicago. The gentleman who fought all the way up to the SCOTUS to exercise his fundamental right was the late Otis McDonald. He was an African-American man who bought a house in said city back in 1971. As the area descended into criminal chaos, he sought a handgun license, which was promptly denied by the city. Rather than give up, he fought it.

Fair... life is not fair.

Ruth Bader Ginsburg said in an interview that Roe v Wade was or would be useful in limiting the growth of certain populations.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews