JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Just wanted to give a reminder that the Ardennes Offensive began today 16 December 1944.
In my lifetime I have made friends with men who fought on both sides of that campaign.
It was a horrific struggle and one that belies the "Peace on Earth and Goodwill towards Man" feelings that we have around this time of year.

Please take a moment and remember these brave men and wish on them the peace they deserve.
Andy

My uncle was captured in what I was told was the Battle of the Bulge.
He was listed as MIA presumed dead. Hospitalized when released from German
POW camp. Nearly died of malnutrition.
He never spoke of his military service. I learned many interesting
details from other family members.

My uncle strung communication wires there and received a Purple Heart. He didn't ever talk to me about his military service, either.

The Ardennes Offensive (aka The Battle Of The Bulge) has been written large in American military history. I think more movies have been made about it than I have teeth.

But before it there was the Battle Of The Hurtgen Forest,

Battle of Hürtgen Forest - Wikipedia

which was relegated to history's back stalls by the Ardennes Offensive which began a few days later.

The Hurtgenwald battle was a meat-grinder at Corps level and chewed up three American divisions over three months of fighting.

The terrain of the Willamette valley is remarkably similar to that of the Hurtgenwald. Whenever I go out shooting in the backwoods of Oregon I think what it must have been like for those soldiers to try to advance through dense hilly woods up a single narrow dirt road in freezing weather against a dug-in fanatically dedicated enemy defending his homeland.

There is only one movie about it I am aware of, but fortunately it's excellent: "When Trumpets Fade". Watch it and you'll understand why those who were there are reluctant to remember and talk about it:

When Trumpets Fade (TV Movie 1998) - IMDb

Netflix has it or you can view it on Youtube here:

or here with a bit better picture quality and English subtitles:

The Ardennes Offensive (aka The Battle Of The Bulge) has been written large in American military history. I think more movies have been made about it than I have teeth.

But before it there was the Battle Of The Hurtgen Forest,

Battle of Hürtgen Forest - Wikipedia

which was relegated to history's back stalls by the Ardennes Offensive which began a few days later.

The Hurtgenwald battle was a meat-grinder at Corps level and chewed up three American divisions over three months of fighting.

The terrain of the Willamette valley is remarkably similar to that of the Hurtgenwald. Whenever I go out shooting in the backwoods of Oregon I think what it must have been like for those soldiers to try to advance through dense hilly woods up a single narrow dirt road in freezing weather against a dug-in fanatically dedicated enemy defending his homeland.

There is only one movie about it I am aware of, but fortunately it's excellent: "When Trumpets Fade". Watch it and you'll understand why those who were there are reluctant to remember and talk about it:

When Trumpets Fade (TV Movie 1998) - IMDb

Netflix has it or you can view it on Youtube here:

or here with a bit better picture quality and English subtitles:

I used to own a Purple Heart and other memorabilia of a man who was wounded and captured during the Hurtgen Forest.
He lost an arm and remained in captivity until the end of the war.
A very bitter winter and a miserable existence.I cannot begin to imagine the suffering-but when I get depressed or feeling sorry for myself,I take a look around my room,and realize that my petty problems are NOTHING compared to what these guys went through.

I rescued the group from an estate sale-but since the ETO isn't my area of collecting (WW2 USMC/USN),and the fact that I was too humbled to own something so important,I passed it on to another collector.
I just don't feel right owning someones PH..although I am glad to have saved it from the Goodwill or worse.

You know war is war. It's beyond hell on earth.
Not that I can speak to the reality.

But to think about the hell of what previous generations went through with the gear they had to do it in is horrifically unimaginable.

My hat is off to anyone who served their country and especially to those who saw combat. I literally can't fathom the sacrifices you've made for me and mine.
God Bless you and Thank you from the bottom of my free heart.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top