JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
If the firing pin in an AR15 was to become stuck in the firing position is there any action of the trigger that would stop it from continuously firing all the rounds in the magazine?

With a stuck firing pin the first cartridge is fired, it throws the bolt back, the bolt returns to the chamber and fires next round, etc. If you don't depress the trigger, the firearm will continue to fire all cartridges in the magazine, correct?

During a runaway slamfire condition like above, if you were to hold the trigger back in the firing postion, would the hammer pop up at any point and keep the bcg from returning to the chamber?

No, the disconnector would keep it from firing a second round. However, it would fire on the first simply by releasing the bolt.

Edit Wait I take that back I guess it would. I remember reading something about it besides the fact it's not legal there was something about it being very dangerous due to the rate of fire and it firing before the bolt is fully closed.

Last Edited:
No, the disconnector would keep it from firing a second round. However, it would fire on the first simply by releasing the bolt.

Edit Wait I take that back I guess it would. I remember reading something about it besides the fact it's not legal there was something about it being very dangerous due to the rate of fire and it firing before the bolt is fully closed.
When I get home tomorrow, I should be able to test it by pulling bcg back with ch, depress trigger and slowly let the bcg slide back home. That should give me the answer?

Would the rate of fire from a slamfire malfunction be different from full auto rate of fire? That would be weird.

When I get home tomorrow, I should be able to test it by pulling bcg back with ch, depress trigger and slowly let the bcg slide back home. That should give me the answer?
That actually would make sense. If the firing pin was stuck forward it might touch off a round at any point the bolt face made contact with the cartridge.

The unsupported case would rupture and you may get 1-2 rounds after the pin fails. Additionally, the bolt would very likely not lock, as the fin may hold it partially open and/or the pressure would blow the case before it got the chance to lock.

Good to think about. Really bad to try.

The unsupported case would rupture and you may get 1-2 rounds after the pin fails. Additionally, the bolt would very likely not lock, as the fin may hold it partially open and/or the pressure would blow the case before it got the chance to lock.

Good to think about. Really bad to try.
I read an article that suggested if it happens, to keep the firearm pointed down range until the mag is empty. I was wondering if there was a way to stop it on an AR15. Sounds like in the AR, the rifle might self destruct before the mag is empty.

Last Edited:
I was wondering if there was a way to stop it on an AR15

Here are my wild guesses. :)
Hit the magazine release button? Although with no magazine in the mag well, if a round in the chamber ruptured because the bolt wasn't locked as described above, could it eject shrapnel out the mag well?
If you could press the forward assist would that interfere with the bolt enough to do anything useful???? Or maybe it would just hurt your thumb? :)

For more info on the trigger function watch this 5 minute Sootch00 video:

Here are my wild guesses. :)
Hit the magazine release button? Although with no magazine in the mag well, if a round in the chamber ruptured because the bolt wasn't locked as described above, could it eject shrapnel out the mag well?
If you could press the forward assist would that interfere with the bolt enough to do anything useful???? Or maybe it would just hurt your thumb? :)

For more info on the trigger function watch this 5 minute Sootch00 video:

Good video.

Dropping the mag would stop it.

Hitting forward assist is an interesting idea.

If you could do fast enough pull the charging handle back that would catch the bolt and stop it from going forward.
But my guess is.
That it would happen so fast and scare the $#!+ Out of you that you would probably just hold the gun until the mag was empty.
LOL

I had a M16A1 do this while at a range qualification.
Can't remember the actual cause of the issue....its been a few days ago.... :D

I do remember , that I hit the mag release while keeping the rifle pointed down range.
That worked...but it was a bit "exciting" to say the least.
Andy

I had a M16A1 do this while at a range qualification.
Can't remember the actual cause of the issue....its been a few days ago.... :D

I do remember , that I hit the mag release while keeping the rifle pointed down range.
That worked...but it was a bit "exciting" to say the least.
Andy
I am guessing with the full auto capable weapon of war:) there could have been a malfunction in the trigger system.

With a run away on an AR, the rate of fire would be quite similar to to that of full auto (you wouldn't notice the difference).
Trigger position won't make a difference, the trigger is out of the equation in a slam fire situation.
Stopping the runaway will occur by removing the supply of ammo, a correction of the mechanical failure, or a mechanical failure of another component.

Do: Keep the muzzle pointed down range and maintain control of the firearm. IF it doesn't surprise you beyond the point of thinking, drop the mag. Once clear, put it on safe and remove the bcg from the rifle.

Do not: Try to use the forward assist to mechanically stop the bolt, this will most likely cause damage to the rifle and your hand. The surprise of hurting your hand will most likely cause you to take your hand off the rifle, thus reducing your control.

I am guessing with the full auto capable weapon of war:) there could have been a malfunction in the trigger system.
Could be...it was a few days ago...I don't remember what the armorer said the cause was.... :D
I do know that I hit the mag release , and kept the rifle pointed down range...that solved the immediate issue.

As it was , I demonstrating the M16A1 to some friendly indigenous troops that we were going to working with..and they were issued the M16A1....not the best of introductions....but a good "teaching / learning moment" , nevertheless.
Andy

I tested the idea of holding the trigger back (which was a stupid idea, I had) and duh it turns out the trigger can not be pressed back at any point before the bcg hit's home. I honestly don't know what I was thinking. I am guessing as @Andy54Hawken demonstrated in the field, the best bet would be to drop the mag if you can.

Now to whether this could occur due to a stuck firing pin is a question I won't be able to answer since testing that would be dangerous legally and physically. If anybody ever finds a video of an AR15 slamfiring through an entire mag let me know.

* Not to get too far off subject....
I had trouble when I first started reloading for my .458. I found, as that cartridge head spaces off of the shoulder, it was possible for an improperly sized cartridge to not fully chamber and the hammer to fall before the bolt was completely locked up. This lead to a totally sized up weapon and several hair raising experiences of prying a bolt open with a live cartridge in the chamber. :eek:

Even though the bolt had rotated partially closed and the hammer had fallen, the firing pin would not extend far enough to fire the cartridge.:)

Presuming one had the presence of mind to do so, just pushing the bottom of the bolt-stop lever would halt the runaway AR.
I thought about that, that would be easy for me since I shoot left handed. My left index finger could easily and quickly go from the trigger to bottom of the bolt-stop lever.

If the firing pin in an AR15 was to become stuck in the firing position is there any action of the trigger that would stop it from continuously firing all the rounds in the magazine?

With a stuck firing pin the first cartridge is fired, it throws the bolt back, the bolt returns to the chamber and fires next round, etc. If you don't depress the trigger, the firearm will continue to fire all cartridges in the magazine, correct?

During a runaway slamfire condition like above, if you were to hold the trigger back in the firing postion, would the hammer pop up at any point and keep the bcg from returning to the chamber?

I think it would depend, not sure how it would get stuck in the first place... def sounds like the firearm is not in a safe running configuration. Should probably remedy with a gunsmith as this sounds like an unpredictable firearm. If this is hypothetical, I'd still take it to a gunsmith to get remedy... ;)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top