JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
For $700 I'd probably buy an M&P sport... I just did a carbine, $1700 including high quality optic. I wouldn't build one less than 14.5 inches, my understanding is the powder is still burning until 12 inches.

For $700 I'd probably buy an M&P sport... I just did a carbine, $1700 including high quality optic. I wouldn't build one less than 14.5 inches, my understanding is the powder is still burning until 12 inches.

yup with an A2 flash hider you can still see a bright white muzzle flash in daylight. The Noveske KX muzzle devices help a lot but are front heavy. Sure is fun tho!!!

I'd go buy tigers new 9mm charger they are going for around that price use either Ruger or Glock type extended mags..lots of customization possibilities, fun and cheap to plink or load up some critical defense ammo for self/home defense. Nice and handy for bug-out bag too

Plinking, home defense, fun. I was thinking something like 10.5/11.5 barrel.
Well it sounds like 5.56 will fill your needs then. Assuming you have built out uppers and lowers before and have the know how and tools to put together a well built AR, I would start by finding a quality barrel. In 10.5 or 11.5", I would look for a carbine gassed ballistic advantage, roscoe, faxon, or possibly one of palmetto state's fn chf barrels. Then get a good quality bolt. Think a minimum of a hp/mpi, chrome lined c158 toolcraft and maybe even a daniel defense if you can find a sale. Skip the fancy coatings as phosphate is fine. From there it is pretty much personal preference but stick to known quality receivers and parts kits. Like aero precision, spikes, dd, etc. If you find components on sale over a period of time you should be able to do it for close to $700 but I wouldn't marry myself to that number. The quality of the parts will dictate the final build cost. Good luck.

Last Edited:
My 8" AR9 is running about $720.
I should have gotten a couple of lowers before now but slacked off and now have to pay the price for that.

PSA upper.
BCM GF LPK
SBA3 brace, rifle spring and an A5H4 buffer.
Areo lower
Endomag inserts.

Already have iron sights, Law folder, Pmags and a Romeo5 to round it out.
If this shakes out and I like it I'll do a 5.56 next.

Cookie-
maybe I missed your point as to having a project... Just was thinking of value pricing ,quality and Utility when I suggested the Ruger PC charger purchase. Ok here goes-my recent build:

Aero precision XL upper with 8" .45 ACP barrel, 7 inch m-lock handguard and flash can . Mil Spec charging handle with Law Valley Precision AR15 .45ACP blow back BCG
Spartan .45ACP Glock Mag compatible lower with strike industry parts kit,PSA EPT trigger group and Ergo handgrip,SBA3 pistol brace using a Law Valley Precision 10oz. Tungsten Blowback buffer with matching 308 pistol caliber extra power buffer spring. Mounting a cheap Tacticon Predator V2 Reflex sight that has red/green Dot capability ( not planning on adding back up sights) plan on carrying with quick detach single point bungy sling. Literally will be a blast to shoot with 27round KCI .45ACP Glock Mags.... But considering it's .45ACP don't know how economical your Plinking will be if you want this for your project LOL Load up a mag with 27 rounds of some critical defense ammo and you've got a helluva home defense choice. Enjoy and good luck on whatever you choose to build !

I'm into this AR9 for $740, not including sights and folder.
JO3eiubl.jpg

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads