JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have an RRA 24" stnls bull barrel upper on a standard Bushmaster lower. My intent is for this to be a Varmint gun, but I want a lighter trigger than the standard Bushmaster lower trigger.

Does anyone have any experience with some of the drop in targe style AR triggers? I'm looking for some thing that will break nice and clean at about 3 lbs. I've considered Timney and Chip McCormick drop ins. Anyone with experience with these? Any others you would recommend? Drawbacks on any of them?

Geissele SSA. :)

It's about four pounds, though. You can come dry fire mine a bunch if you'd like.

Geissele also has some other triggers, that I think are a bit more expensive, but will be a lighter pull.

I tried a JARD, priced $150, but the vendor failed to include the trigger spring. After several tries to get a spring, I decided to return it. It seemed a good bang for the buck, though.

Nevertheless, I bit the bullet and went for an adj 2 stage Geissele. I never looked back. Breaks like glass. I set to 2.5 lb. Can easily be set to 4lb for competition. At $280-something, it is a hard pill to swallow, but worth it, IMHO.

Since you also live in Hillsboro, you are welcome to dry fire mine, too. :eek:

I tried a JARD, priced $150, but the vendor failed to include the trigger spring. After several tries to get a spring, I decided to return it. It seemed a good bang for the buck, though.

Nevertheless, I bit the bullet and went for an adj 2 stage Geissele. I never looked back. Breaks like glass. I set to 2.5 lb. Can easily be set to 4lb for competition. At $280-something, it is a hard pill to swallow, but worth it, IMHO.

Since you also live in Hillsboro, you are welcome to dry fire mine, too. :eek:

I might actually take you up on that to see what the lighter trigger is like. Thanks.

For the money the Rock River two stage is hard to beat. If it is't not light enough you can change the springs. I got my target gun down to a 1.5 lb first stage with a .5 lb break that is crisp as can be.

I went with the Geissele SSA trigger and I like it. (They also make an adjustable one for competition shooting.) From my point of view, the problem with the drop-in units like Timney and Chip McCormick are that it is harder to reach certain spots for cleaning and lubrication as it's all one unit. Additionally, if something breaks/ wears out inside, it's the whole unit that has to go. In contrast, the Geissele trigger can be cleaned like the standard AR trigger and if something breaks, you can replace one part without having to chuck the whole thing.

That's not to say I wouldn't happily use a Timney trigger if someone gave me one, but when it was my bucks deciding it, I thought the Geissele SSA trigger was the better choice.

I went with the Geissele SSA trigger and I like it. (They also make an adjustable one for competition shooting.) From my point of view, the problem with the drop-in units like Timney and Chip McCormick are that it is harder to reach certain spots for cleaning and lubrication as it's all one unit. Additionally, if something breaks/ wears out inside, it's the whole unit that has to go. In contrast, the Geissele trigger can be cleaned like the standard AR trigger and if something breaks, you can replace one part without having to chuck the whole thing.

That's not to say I wouldn't happily use a Timney trigger if someone gave me one, but when it was my bucks deciding it, I thought the Geissele SSA trigger was the better choice.

Outrider, you make a good point about access for cleaning and lubrication and from the other members input, I think I will look further into the Geiselle. It's more expensive, but when you're talking about an over $1K rifle setup, what's another hundred bucks.

I have a MEGA Machine Shop single stage trigger that I LOVE! Breaks at about 4lbs but is not a drop in assembly like the Timney, CMC or Wilson. It's also only about $110 at the most.

Check with JC Weaponry for solid pricing and availability.

You should decide if you'd like a single or two stage trigger. The single will not be quite as smooth but they will be much more reliable than the two stage units. The Army only allows one 2 stage into official issue at that is the Gisselle unit. Nice, but expensive.

Me shooting my .22lr upper on a MEGA lower with their single stage trigger. It would have gone faster if my finger moved faster!

IMG_9972.jpg
IMG_9982.jpg
IMG_9986.jpg

th_MOV00059.jpg

bnr32gtr Your point about single stage triggers reliability over two stage triggers is well taken. If this trigger was going into my carbine, I would choose a single stage, but since it's going into a varmint rifle I'm willing to sacrifice a little reliability for a lighter crisper trigger pull.

bnr32gtr Your point about single stage triggers reliability over two stage triggers is well taken. If this trigger was going into my carbine, I would choose a single stage, but since it's going into a varmint rifle I'm willing to sacrifice a little reliability for a lighter crisper trigger pull.

You are very correct. If I was to get a two stage, I'd probably just go with a Bushy or RRA NM 2 stage. They are priced right and provide a great pull.

WOA(White Oak Armory) work over the RRA NM triggers and are really nice! Still priced very fairly.

NorthernBornRebel(Stoner Arms) is currently offering RRA NM 2 stage trigger kits for $120. He'll install them, too. :s0155:

I have many thousands of rounds a piece through 3 diferent gus with Rock river 2 stage triggers. All of them still function perfectly. Two have lightened pulls and one is stock. The first stage of the pull is dictated by the return spring. I don't see how that could be prone to wearing out.

I might be describing it incorrectly. But most competition shooters find the first stage "Disappears" over a relatively short amount of time.

I have gone through two of them, for a maybe related problem. At about 7k rounds, the reset was no longer "Crisp". As you let out on the trigger, instead of a nice "Click", it became a little more of a "Hump".

There are also numerous reports of broken hammers. I never broke one, and I don't know the percentage of non-broken vs. broken, but they're out there.

I might be describing it incorrectly. But most competition shooters find the first stage "Disappears" over a relatively short amount of time.

I have gone through two of them, for a maybe related problem. At about 7k rounds, the reset was no longer "Crisp". As you let out on the trigger, instead of a nice "Click", it became a little more of a "Hump".

There are also numerous reports of broken hammers. I never broke one, and I don't know the percentage of non-broken vs. broken, but they're out there.

What you're describing is very common but most shooters do not make 7k rounds, to be honest. Unless shooting .22lr, that is. Ammo is just too expensive.

The condition you're referring to is one reason that the .mil is very careful about picking a 2 stage for it's troops to use.

For us regular joes, they are fine and will work wonders for one's group size!

I have the Mega Machine drop in trigger and it is really nice and easy to tune. Just dropping it in without any adjustment takes out a ton of the take-up and overtravel, then it's fine tuning from there.

I/ve always been a fan of Timney triggers. Not just "Honed and Rubbed on" versions of the original design but re=designed to yield results.

The Timney "Drop In" eliminates the need for additonal gadgets to prevent pin rotation and "walkout.

<broken link removed>

When comparing prices, be sure to include the entire package. Kits to stop pin rotation and walkout are not free.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews