JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The story about how the original M16s/Ar15s failed in Nam without the whole story that were sent to a humid environment with out chrome lining and without a cleaning kit and faulty mags led all the crap talk about how it poops where it feeds and how the AK is more reliable led to a lot of people believing they were troublesome rifles who never even had problems with them who felt they needed to prevent a problem that was not really there.

because of the mentioned tighter tolerances the parts manufacturing needs to be more precise and being a little out of spec can cause issues how ever if you have a properly built ar15 you will probably never have a problem with it and will be able to run it in some extreme conditions

I have owned a lot of different ar15 uppers over the past 16-18 years to know that problems are very rare and when there is a problem its usually due to sub par parts. fix the out spec part and they run like a pony.

Not old enough to have been there myself but I am interested in history and such.

Among the other things you listed, the 5.56 cartridge was too light of a bullet for jungle fighting and would easily be deflected off target by the foliage in the area, where as the 7.62 bullets are like bulldozers.

I think it has come down to person preference, personal experience and the conditions you would be using it in as too which gun would ultimately be the best for you.

I'd still take a bolt hunting gun and not feel under gunned in the woods - in an urban area I would want a simi-auto.

Not old enough to have been there myself but I am interested in history and such.

I know you know this already. To some of us old guys you youngster's history was our lives. LOL Let me just say the the M-16 in VietNam was, uummm, not always a boonie rats friend. Happy to see the platform evolve and get better with time.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top