Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

AR questions

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by Liberty97045, Dec 25, 2012.

1. Liberty97045

Liberty97045 Oregon City Well-Known Member

[SUB][/SUB]I just purchased a lightly used Anderson Manufacturing AM-15. Despite the shortage, I paid a fair price (thanks Northwest Armory). My intention for this is a accurate varmint rifle.
    image.jpg
    first question, I can hear the spring when I shoot and I don't like it.
    Is there a product or practice that will quiet the noise of the buffer spring in the tube?

Second question, there is some wiggle room between the upper and lower when closed. There doesn't seem to be any wear that would cause this and doesn't seem to effect anything. Is this anything that needs fixing? If so, how?

Thanks in advance

image.jpg

2. Benihaus

Benihaus Portland American

you can buy a wedge that makes the 2 pieces tighter.. accuwedge? maybe as for the spring sound.. I always thought thats just what ARs did

3. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Don't wear any hearing protection, after awhile you won't notice the spring noise anymore.

Liberty97045, orygun, nny420 and 3 others like this.
  4. oknow

oknow amboy wa. Well-Known Member

or use better hearing protection

5. TacticalMark

TacticalMark Seattle Member

Your always going to hear the spring/buffer "twang" using standard type buffers. If it annoys you that much you could take your chances with a spikes powder buffer ST-1 or ST-2. The wiggle between upper and lower is normal and if under .020 checked with a feeler gauge is within mil-spec. If the wiggle bothers you place a 5/8"od 1/2"id by 1/16" o-ring around the front upper receiver take down post, wiggle gone.

6. PDXSparky

PDXSparky Keizer / Hillsboro Well-Known Member

Brimstone Gunsmithing advertises a Trigger work and Reliability package for $80 : "The 'spoon on a cheese grater' sound of the buffer spring will be gone". I can't comment on the AR work, but Dave does do outstanding work on a 10/22 trigger, so I'd expect the same high quality work on an AR. BrimstoneGunsmithing - AR 15 Trigger/Reliability Package

7. Phillyfan

Phillyfan Oregon City, Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

That sound is part of the charm. Kind of like a Harley, nothing else sounds like it. Learn to love it.

8. Tim K

Tim K Colorado Member

Grease the spring. It cuts a bunch of the noise.

9. odiesplace97301

odiesplace97301 silverton area Member

Grease the spring or try a springco buffer spring. Some tubes have a very rough bore and will always make noise. If thats the case you can try polishing the tube or just replacing it.

10. iamme

iamme Lane County Well-Known Member

Shoot it? then shoot it some more, then some more. Then keep shooting until you're focusing on your target and not the noise :)