JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am getting ready to build my first project AR, and I know just enough to get into trouble (In other words, I watched a video on YouTube, so now I'm an expert).:s0114: I'm not going for "Tacticool"; I'm trying to replicate an old A2 Colt that I shot as a teen. I have an A2 upper, and my next decision is the barrel. I want a 16" HBAR, but I want the sight post as far forward as possible. I seem to remember the Colt having longer handguards than the carbines I've shot recently, but I don't know if they were mid-length or rifle-length. Do they make 16" barrels that take a rifle-length handguard?

Well an A2 has a 20" barrel.

Bushmaster (and I am sure others) made a upper called the dissipator but I think they look funny;

BCWA3S%2016D.jpg

Here are an A1 and an A2 (both are 20" barrels)

DSC04635.jpg

I am getting ready to build my first project AR, and I know just enough to get into trouble (In other words, I watched a video on YouTube, so now I'm an expert).:s0114: I'm not going for "Tacticool"; I'm trying to replicate an old A2 Colt that I shot as a teen. I have an A2 upper, and my next decision is the barrel. I want a 16" HBAR, but I want the sight post as far forward as possible. I seem to remember the Colt having longer handguards than the carbines I've shot recently, but I don't know if they were mid-length or rifle-length. Do they make 16" barrels that take a rifle-length handguard?

I just bought a old colt upper at the gun show that you are talking about. It is indeed a 16" barrel with 20" barrel handguards. In fact, it has the old triangle handguards.

I'm trying to build this on the cheap. The least expensive Dissy barrel I can find is the Del-Ton with full-length gas tube, but I've read of problems tuning a short barrel with a rifle-length gas tube. Does anyone have one of these? Does Del-Ton enlarge the gas port? I also can't decide on the handguards; I like standard round handguards, but I sort of want a side rail to mount my GoPro camera. Thoughts?

Okay, I ordered the DelTon Dissy barrel from Curt's yesterday. I've heard that the rifle-length gas system with a short barrel can be picky with ammo, so I'll give you a review in a couple weeks. I think I'm going with the MagPul handguards so that I can add the two small rail pieces that I want without the whole gear-geek look. Wish me luck!

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews