JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am getting ready to build my first project AR, and I know just enough to get into trouble (In other words, I watched a video on YouTube, so now I'm an expert).:s0114: I'm not going for "Tacticool"; I'm trying to replicate an old A2 Colt that I shot as a teen. I have an A2 upper, and my next decision is the barrel. I want a 16" HBAR, but I want the sight post as far forward as possible. I seem to remember the Colt having longer handguards than the carbines I've shot recently, but I don't know if they were mid-length or rifle-length. Do they make 16" barrels that take a rifle-length handguard?

Well an A2 has a 20" barrel.

Bushmaster (and I am sure others) made a upper called the dissipator but I think they look funny;

BCWA3S%2016D.jpg

Here are an A1 and an A2 (both are 20" barrels)

DSC04635.jpg

I am getting ready to build my first project AR, and I know just enough to get into trouble (In other words, I watched a video on YouTube, so now I'm an expert).:s0114: I'm not going for "Tacticool"; I'm trying to replicate an old A2 Colt that I shot as a teen. I have an A2 upper, and my next decision is the barrel. I want a 16" HBAR, but I want the sight post as far forward as possible. I seem to remember the Colt having longer handguards than the carbines I've shot recently, but I don't know if they were mid-length or rifle-length. Do they make 16" barrels that take a rifle-length handguard?

I just bought a old colt upper at the gun show that you are talking about. It is indeed a 16" barrel with 20" barrel handguards. In fact, it has the old triangle handguards.

I'm trying to build this on the cheap. The least expensive Dissy barrel I can find is the Del-Ton with full-length gas tube, but I've read of problems tuning a short barrel with a rifle-length gas tube. Does anyone have one of these? Does Del-Ton enlarge the gas port? I also can't decide on the handguards; I like standard round handguards, but I sort of want a side rail to mount my GoPro camera. Thoughts?

Okay, I ordered the DelTon Dissy barrel from Curt's yesterday. I've heard that the rifle-length gas system with a short barrel can be picky with ammo, so I'll give you a review in a couple weeks. I think I'm going with the MagPul handguards so that I can add the two small rail pieces that I want without the whole gear-geek look. Wish me luck!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top