JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
What would you recommend for a free floating quad rail for a colt 6920? I have been looking at Troy industires, Daniel Defense and knights armament rails. Troy appear to be cheaper but they don't list the wait of their rails. Daniel Defense is pricey but some on ar15 forum think they are superior. Some Knights Armament rails state that an armorer is needed to install their products. I have also seen quad rails which have an elongated rail section which connects/floats over the upper receiver section. The colt 6920 already has a rail section over the upper receiver. Here are the questions:
1 What should I be looking for in these rails?
2 Are the any quality differences between the three brands?
3 Is one brands mean of attachment better than the others?
4 Do I really need an armorer to install the rail? If so Would that mean I would need the armorer to take the rail off when I want to clean the barrel exterior?
5 Should I buy a quad rail with the extended rail section to go above the upper receiver or not?
Facts and opinions are appreciated, thank you.

I have the daniel defense omega 7 on my ar and really like it. The rails that need to be installed by an armorer usually replace the delta ring and barrel nut and attach to that so if you are comfortable with that then you could go that route but for some you need to buy their barrel nut wrench to attach it. The DD omega is super easy to put on and is really a quality peice. As for quality the military uses DD and knights Armament CO so let that speak for itself. The rails that attach to the upper and rail connect the two together for strength but imo its a little overkill.

two piece as in topand bottom handgaurd or two peice rail and upper receiver railcover? if you mean handgaurd rail its because you can still mount Launcher (not that you would) and so you can install it with out having to take off the front sight post

I meant the two-piece handguard quad-rail. I have no plans to ever mount a launcher so I assume you would recommend a one piece design then?

I like the Knights 2 piece. They are easy to install. And if you ever want to take it off to put the regular hand guards back on, it is just as easy. I have a Daniel Defense Omega, I could hook you up with. That is easy too, no tools required. I've also got access to all the tools to change a barrel, or whatever. You can use my shop if you need to.

i typically think of the FF industry leaders as DD and Larue.

so i bought one of each.

but to be honest, at the distances I've practiced at, I'm not sure if having a FF rail has really affected my shots at all. YMMV but I would say the weight and price and effort isn't worth it overall. If you really want some rails get the magpul MOE grips and put some rails on that. I had those when I had a carbine vs. my midlengths. probably would have used them if they had them in midlength.

Thank you for all your replies!:) It is clear from the posts what the top two brands are. I thought I was going to get a ten inch rail, remove the front sight, add a low profile gas block and then a folding front sight. Now I am trying to decide wether or not to keep the front sight and maybe just get a 7 inch rail or so. Not sure at all.

Hunt - what is the size of your Daniel Defense rail and what are you wanting for it? Your offer to use your shop is extremely kind and I do appreciate it!!!:)

The DD Omega is the one that is standard length for the carbine. Same length os the standard handguards. Free floats the barrel. real nice. I have it in with my buddy's AR stuff that he sells at the show. I could get it within a day or 2. I was asking $225. Which is fair, MSRP is $279.
I also like the Knights a lot. I've seen them used for as low as $100.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top