JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just picked up 2 Aero Precision Freedom lowers. I have a Barrett REC 7 in 5.56, SBR in 5.56, a Barrett Rec 7 SBR waiting on a stamp in 5.56.
trying to decide what calibers for the new lowers. Considering .224 Valkyrie, 7.62x39, .458 socom ....I just plink around. Thought the .224 might be fun for longer range plinking and the 7.62would be cheap. Ideas??

009CFD60-B20A-4BCC-AD44-5977FB43BDAB.jpeg 1E350EA0-7036-48F0-B16B-888CB4939BA8.jpeg

Last Edited:
.224 Valkyrie would be fun if you have access to longer shooting.
I would be careful if going grendel, their bolts can be a little weak, make sure you buy a quality bolt if going that route.

Just picked up 2 Aero Precision Freedom lowers. I have a Barrett REC 7 in 5.55, SBR in 5.556, a Barrett Rec 7 SBR waiting on a stamp in 5.56.
trying to decide what calibers for the new lowers. Considering .224 Valkyrie, 7.62x39, .458 socom ....I just plink around. Thought the .224 might be fun for longer range plinking and the 7.62would be cheap. Ideas??

View attachment 623791 View attachment 623792
Got to have at least one M4, 7.62x39 to help your AK buddies dispose of some of those cans of ammunition they bought. Face bigsmyl.gif

The 458 socom is very versatile. It can nip at the heels of a 45-70 or shoot heavy slugs subsonic but probably a bit spendy to shoot if you don't reload. 7.62x39 for volume shooting is a good one if you don't reload. The Valkyrie really hasn't inspired me but I am sure it has it's merits. How bout a good heavy barrel precision 223 wylde build. The worlds your oyster, have fun!

I got "a little bored" of the usual 223/556 build(s). Like you, thought i'd try something different. So i went with the 7.62x39. MY GOD IS IT FUN !!!!

i'd vote going the 7.62x39 route. And if you do, go with the ASC mags.

Like you mentioned, it is cheaper. Plus it is a heavier hitting round. ;)

A dedicated 22lr is also great option. My Cmmg 22lr upper with the right bits and pieces is very reliable. It will also pile 10 shots into 3/4" at 50 with cci standard velocity ammo. Cheap and fun to shoot with Ar ergos, what's not to like?:)

I got "a little bored" of the usual 223/556 build(s). Like you, thought i'd try something different. So i went with the 7.62x39. MY GOD IS IT FUN !!!!

i'd vote going the 7.62x39 route. And if you do, go with the ASC mags.

Like you mentioned, it is cheaper. Plus it is a heavier hitting round. ;)
It is funny how every build is different. My Ar's in 7.62x39 prefer Cdp mags and are damn near flawless with them. I tried asc mags first and even with mods wouldn't feed reliably when loaded more than half capacity or so. I do hear many people have great luck with the asc mags though.

The 458 socom is very versatile. It can nip at the heels of a 45-70 or shoot heavy slugs subsonic but probably a bit spendy to shoot if you don't reload. 7.62x39 for volume shooting is a good one if you don't reload. The Valkyrie really hasn't inspired me but I am sure it has it's merits. How bout a good heavy barrel precision 223 wylde build. The worlds your oyster, have fun!
The .458 SoCom with cast 325gr. bullets is how I'm disposing of all of my old SCUBA Diving weights. Face bigsmyl.gif

Before you build your upper make sure you have good fitment between your upper and lower receivers.

I like my 7.6x39 build. Green Mountain Rifle barrel with an Aim Surplus BCG. Order yourself a couple of spare 7.62x39 extractors. I use both ASC and D&H mags. Just can not seem to load them to capacity, however I usually use the 10 round mags load to 5 when bench rest shooting. Have loaded the ASC 10 round mags to 8 without issue. At present ammo is at a great price, especially by the case. I have also used my Grendel 15 round ASC mags without issue loaded to 15 rounds. I really like the 15 round Grendel mags, for they are same size as the old GI 20 round M-16 magazines.

My Grendel was another fun build. Bought a really cheap no name Grendel I barrel and use that with an Aim Surplus BCG. If you aqcuire a Grendel II barrel, use a Grendel bolt. I use ASC mags and have used my 7.62x39 mags with no problems. Have not yet tried the D&H 7.62x39 mags with the Grendel. As stated above steel cased Grendel ammo is cheap. Usually a box of 20 rounds goes for $5.99 while brass case, box of 20, runs about $20 and up.

I have friends that have 300 BO and 224 Valkyrie and they enjoy those as well. My friend that has the 300 BO has it set up with a can and uses it for varmints and plinking, he reloads. My friend that has Valkyrie uses it for competition. He also reloads.

For reasonably priced barrels, check out Wilson Combat, Windham Weaponry, Ballistic Advantage, and Green Mountain Rifle Barrel. I would wait till the Veteran's Day Sale or Thanksgiving/Cyber Monday to make a purchase.

I've done 6.5 Grendel, and just finished building my first 7.62x39 AR- can't wait to get it zeroed and ringing steel. As mentioned before, if you don't mind shooting steel-case ammo, both calibers are very cheap to shoot.

Geno

ODG AR-47_003.jpg

Finally got to experiment with the Grendel and the D&H 30 round 7.72x39 mag. It functions well, except for the last five rounds, which were all failure to feeds. Was using Wolf steel case ammo.

I've been really considering a 224 val build. With at least a 20" barrel.

That and a 22lr build.

So many calibers out there these days.

If 22 Grendel was more mainstream I'd totally would hop into that caliber.

Depends on where you want to go? How far do you want to shoot? You have 2 SBR rifles in 5.56.
Not a long range set up?:rolleyes: A 20" Match grade AR chambered in 223 Wylde can shoot sub MOA out to
600 yards with proper ammo. The 224 Valkyrie is more exspensive to shoot exspensive components and
factory ammo. Also shorter barrel life, than a 223/556 and It has fallen in popularity since it's introduction.
The 762X39 is a fine caliber for short range use.
600 yards match with 20" Match grade "Service Rifle" 223 caliber.
DSC00194.JPG

Depends on where you want to go? How far do you want to shoot? You have 2 SBR rifles in 5.56.
Not a long range set up?:rolleyes: A 20" Match grade AR chambered in 223 Wylde can shoot sub MOA out to
600 yards with proper ammo. The 224 Valkyrie is more exspensive to shoot exspensive components and
factory ammo. Also shorter barrel life, than a 223/556 and It has fallen in popularity since it's introduction.
The 762X39 is a fine caliber for short range use.
600 yards match with 20" Match grade "Service Rifle" 223 caliber.
View attachment 628501
Good thoughts. I am building g a 6.5 creedmoor set up as well. I had a .223 Wylde set up but sold the upper to build the SBR before I ever got to shoot it. lol

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top