JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Heyo!
I was wondering if anyone in the Beaverton/Aloha/Hillsboro area has a set of 5.56 GO/NO-GO gauges that I could use to verify my build has a slightly smaller chance of blowing up on the first mag. I could buy a set but if some really awesome person could be persuaded to let me use theirs that would be preferred.

Thanks in advance!

While you cant be too safe and redundancy is good, headspace issues in AR builds from reputable makers are rare and there isn't even anything you can do about it.

While you cant be too safe and redundancy is good, headspace issues in AR builds from reputable makers are rare and there isn't even anything you can do about it.
Hey thanks for the quick response!
I'm only concerned because this is my first custom build. I made sure that all of the parts were high quality but I've heard of the 1 in 10,000 who have had issues with headspace and that makes me just a little paranoid. Would you say that a Faxon Firearms barrel and a Fathom Arms bolt should be just fine together?

In all likelihood. Headspace is determined when the barrel extension is attached to the barrel at the factory, so unless the extension or bolt is defective from the factory, it should be fine. Between me and a few friends, we have probably done a few dozen builds with zero issues but I'm sure you can find examples of problems with some googleing and I'm sure someone will post shortly saying I'm full of crap and you must check every build. just my experience and .02.

A set can be had for $30-$40 which is some cheap piece of mind.

I have a set of gages and use them just because... Have never had headspace out of spec on many builds for my self or checking for others. I am like you and still want to check, I also look at the first rounds fired and inspect the casing for bulging. Maybe the inspection of the casing would be sufficient.

Headspace gauges are on my list of things to get, but not a priority. My LGS checks headspace for free to regular customers, and after a dozen builds, I have never been out of spec yet.

I use these.
223FMJWHT-300x300.jpg
You point the rifle in a safe direction, insert one in the chamber and pull the trigger. :cool: :D

I went to a armorer's course and they of course recommended them so I do have some now. I recently did a Faxon barrel (16" 5.56) with a Lantac BCG. all okay.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top