JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just started this and already even with all the scientists in the production I find stupid mistakes. Biggest one in the first couple episodes I have watched. Helicopter type drones flying on Mars!!! While Mars does have an atmosphere its almost 100 times less dense then earths. So if a Drone requires a pair of 24" rotors to fly on earth it would take almost 100 times that to lift the same weight on Mars. Except the motor that can spin a pair pf 24" rotors on earth could in no stretch of the imagination spin a pair of rotors on Mars large enough to over come this even in the 38% gravity so the motor/batteries etc would have to be bigger heavier. Which would compound the problem that lift could not over come gravity.

They also really screwed up the movements of the astronauts in the reduced gravity

It's a Sci-fi show. the fi stands for fiction. Kind of like those 30 second full auto bursts from whatever that irritate me no end---95% of the viewers won't notice that there is anything "wrong". Heck--they constantly screw up "documentaries". Remember the History mini-series on WWI where the Germans were using Lee Enfields? Grrrrr.

I'm a sucker for Sci and Sci fi - even the bad stuff. But I tried but had to give up. Aside from factual problems it seemed more of a lecture with some bits and pieces of CGI tossed in for the heck of it.

However the blades would be encountering less "air" resistance allowing them to expend less power per revolution.
Not sure where this would enter the equation, but...

Remember the popular movie "The Martian" starring Matt Damon? The whole premise of the movie was built on a falsehood in that the dust storm that caused their emergency liftoff was impossible. Not enough atmosphere to create the wind.

P

Remember the popular movie "The Martian" starring Matt Damon? The whole premise of the movie was built on a falsehood in that the dust storm that caused their emergency liftoff was impossible. Not enough atmosphere to create the wind.

P

I hated that movie... BORING. Can't believe I read the book too! :rolleyes:

Just started this and already even with all the scientists in the production I find stupid mistakes. Biggest one in the first couple episodes I have watched. Helicopter type drones flying on Mars!!! While Mars does have an atmosphere its almost 100 times less dense then earths. So if a Drone requires a pair of 24" rotors to fly on earth it would take almost 100 times that to lift the same weight on Mars. Except the motor that can spin a pair pf 24" rotors on earth could in no stretch of the imagination spin a pair of rotors on Mars large enough to over come this even in the 38% gravity so the motor/batteries etc would have to be bigger heavier. Which would compound the problem that lift could not over come gravity.

They also really screwed up the movements of the astronauts in the reduced gravity

You forget that Mars also has weaker gravity than Earth... ;)

There is an independent scientist that did do some glorified bar napkin math and determined that a Mars helicopter drone would be on right on the edge of feasibility.

(Note: this guy does also offer commentary on a variety of political, social, religious issues in other videos, and sharing this particular video does not constitute endorsement of any of his other positions!)

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top