Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Anyone tried the Mountain House LRP rations?

Discussion in 'Preparedness & Survival' started by sapper77, Mar 9, 2013.

1. sapper77

sapper77 Linn County Active Member

I was able to get 25 of them and was wondering if anyone has tried them? They are vaccuum sealed as well which leads me to believe they probably have a long shelf life.

2. erudne

erudne The Pie Matrix PPL Say Sleeping W/Your Rifle Is A bad Thing? Bronze Supporter

What is the date of MFG?

3. sapper77

sapper77 Linn County Active Member

It just has a buck of random numbers on the side. Cant find an acxtual date

4. chariot13

chariot13 Near Eugene/Springfield Well-Known Member

Yes, the stroganoff was delish

5. Kevinkris

Kevinkris Aloha Well-Known Member

ive heard they are really good and they are suppose to last 2 years.

6. cstmp8r

cstmp8r vancouver Member

never had that brand but have had shelf reliance. Tastes really good and has a shelf life of 25 years.

7. Silver Fox

Silver Fox Puyallup, WA Well-Known Member

Beef stew rocks!!! The omelet with ham and peppers is good.

SF-

8. rocky3

rocky3 oregon coast Active Member

For those of us on a sodium free diet, way too much salt. America uses way too much sodium and changing them seems nearly impossible.

9. erudne

erudne The Pie Matrix PPL Say Sleeping W/Your Rifle Is A bad Thing? Bronze Supporter

The Beef Stroganoff is MH's customers #1 favorite meal. You can buy the BS powder through resturant supply houses as it is a common item in the industry.
    As for the salt: yes far too much salt but in many preserved foods the salt content is federly mandated.
    I recently had a proscutio ham that was so loaded with salt and nitrates that I had to cut it in chunks and soak it, with several changes of water, for 3 days to make it edible!
    Pickled foods can be rinsed and soaked in clean water
    all the more reason to drink large amounts of water each day

10. OEDub

OEDub SW OR Coast Active Member

Mountain House has some great tasting stuff. I work off-trail for up to a week at a time and also use it a lot when I'm hiking and camping. Definitely lots of salt, though, so drink a lot of water.
    ...and just expect your body to "react" to the new diet if you're relying solely on this stuff. :laugh:

11. erudne

and just expect your body to "react" to the new diet if you're relying solely on this stuff.
    In any high stress situation your body will reflect what your mind is dealing with.
    Normally trail food will change your bowels, one way or the other.
    When I did my unsupported trek up the PCT I made my own rations out of #10 MH foods & common Super MKT dehydrated food stuffs and buried caches in ABS tubing where the trail crossed Hiways. The tubes were glued shut and with a few moth-balls in the soil, bear proofed.
    The dried food was run through a blender to make it as compact as possible; veg, starch, meat, flavorings.
    Mix with HOT water=MUSH.
    IF you are hungry you will lick every tiny bit off every surface and look for more.
    Otherwise it tastes terrible, a built in rationing system

OEDub and (deleted member) like this.
  12. papalondog

papalondog Mid Willamette Valley Active Member

I had a chance to pick up some for a very reasonable price, so we tried a couple. The taste was very good on the chicken and noodles and chicken and rice. I agree that there is a bunch of salt or sodium in them and it probably helps preserve them. They are made here in Albany. The factory puts a 7 year shelf life on the vacuum packs and 25 year shelf life on the canned items. Stored properly, my guess is that they would stay good for longer......

13. gunnery

gunnery Mill Creek, WA New Member

FYI, the new Mountain House entree, Chicken Alfredo, is relatively low in sodium (260mg per serving.) I've heard good things about it, have not personally tried it yet.

14. clearconscience

clearconscience Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

I've tried a few they have all been good.

Got some at costco and wished I would have bought more than one box