JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Howdy all. I've been poking around the martial arts scene here in Eugene since moving here last Sept. I've moved from Dallas, TX where I had a plethora of MA choices. I've been doing MA for 20+ years and all my shooting is an extension of that training.

I prefer more combative arts and have no patience for traditional MA that do not keep their traditional battle-proven methods. I've done all kinds of stuff over the past 20 years from Filippino-Japanese-Okinawan-Russian-Thai-MMA, etc. I had begun training Systema with Sonny Puzikas in Dallas before I moved. Matthew Lowes is teaching Systema here in Eugene, but he only teaches one night a week and its the one night I have a ton of family commitments. So I'm training JKD with some good folks here, but its just not the combatives I enjoy. There are some good MMA gyms, which are fun, but just not interested in sport.

Anyone know of any other options I should check out? There's a Krav place in Junction City, but that's too much of a hike for me. I work a lot and have 4 kids at home, so time is precious to me. I have a teaching license and could start an informal training group myself, but that's not my first choice.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Anything here I haven't been able to find cruising the 'net?

Thanks. I'll check it out. I had seen their webpage and it seemed like a typical kids school. I haven't found too many combatives schools where their main client base is kids, even though that's where the money is. Also wasn't looking for someone who had been to a couple of seminars in the "latest and greatest whiz-bang killer system" and is now an instructor...and I couldn't find any instructor info on their webpage. So I never went any further. Anyway, I'll stop by and learn more, I just haven't had luck with schools that a.) Cater to the kids, b.) Offer Cardiokick, Women's Self Defense, et al, c.) Require contracts and membership agreements and d.) Do not provide background information on instructors.

Their facebook page looks interesting though. Worth a look. Thanks.

With the extensive background that you have the JKD is a super nice supplement. Master Hwang at Hwang's Martial
Arts has a great program in Hapkido, and Judo and TKD--Also nice supplement. Seems like you are doing very well with your broad training.

Have done some Hapkido. I liked it. Hard to find a place that teaches Hapkido as the main focus...usually get pushed to the TKD, which I did for about a year and never really enjoyed it (either did the people I spared with =) ).

Have done some Hapkido. I liked it. Hard to find a place that teaches Hapkido as the main focus...usually get pushed to the TKD, which I did for about a year and never really enjoyed it (either did the people I spared with =) ).

FYI: Hwang is a 7th in Hapikido and he has at least a 7th in Judo. He is about 69 years old, a body of steel and fast as a whip! Lots of mature students over there. I trained (under him for my 3rd in TKD, now having my 4th). The other idea I had for you, given your broad background, would be to hire a "tutor", maybe one that did the fight/tourny route in the day; and have him or her just train you in a very select few techniques to add to your skills. You could arrange for several 30 minute sessions a few times a month on a "few" specific techniues only. You do not need much given your broad background. I continue to teach TKD but pick up some very specific fighting techniques and strategies in karate. Very selective approach. For close in encounters you could look at adding limited boxing skills or very limited aikido or hapkido joint lockiing techniques. The emphasis would be on a "few" well developed skills--do not attempt to learn an entire system unless you want to make that committment. The other item that you might like is to sign up for a cardo combative conditioning class.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews