JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've got a poverty pony SBR that I run bare bones with irons. Daniel Defense rear sight, fixed gas block front sight. It weighs nothing compared to everything else. I'm not looking to change much with this one. It was pretty inexpensive, but it's likely going to last forever in its form. It eats everything and is simple. KISS type thing.

Anyways, I've been thinking about ways I can make it slightly more "functional". One of those thoughts was how the hell would I shoot it in the dark? So I tried. Using irons and a flashlight. Headlamp and irons. Also a bit before it was just about black with just irons.

It was not great! The flashlight helped, but unlike my handgun (tritium sights) the sights themselves on the AR were close to useless.

So, I'm thinking about buying those tritium inserts for AR15 irons.

Is this even worth it? Anyone run them? Used them at night?

Just curious if anyone has messed with this sort of thing.

Thanks!

Reno

A couple lifetimes ago, I bought a Colt HBAR that had them installed. I wouldn't call it a night-and-day difference, but in the twilight hours, they were definitely better.

I have done plenty of night shoots, but can't remember if I used that rifle, so I can't really comment specifically about their performance with a flashlight.

What distance are you trying to see, identify and shoot the target?

I'd put a $110 Sig romeo 5 red dot on it before I bothered with tritium iron sights for a rifle, but that is just me.

I would defer to Andy's experience on using them.

I've started to go the opposite direction. I had tritium sights on pistols, but they stick out under night vision so I put together a pistol slide without night sights.

Flashlight + fiber optic front sight works best for me in darkness.
For my PCC's I long ago went to a light under the barrel. They are light/ laser combo's. They are nice as it matters not how dark it is. My favorite hand guns don't have a rail or I would put one on at least one of them too. Wife's bedside gun does have an under rail with the light / laser. I keep telling myself it makes a good excuse to get another 1911 since I "need" one with a rail :s0140:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top