JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just seeing if anyone has any feedback for this handgun. I found one I'm thinking about purchasing. It's 450. I am new to revolvers but feel it's time to add one to the collection, I figured the .45 round would mesh well since I have other 45s already.

Any advice?

I have a Ti Tracker in .357Mag

I like it. Between the ribbed grips and the porting, it is fun and a pleasure to shoot IMO even though it is very light.

The thing is the quality control from Taurus is hit and miss - they seem to design good guns, but when they go to make them they don't inspect them very well.

Mine had a cylinder gap of less than 0.001", which meant that after the first 50 shots through it, the cylinder locked up tight due to powder residue.

Also, the trigger is gritty and not very good - unlike the Taurus M444 I once owned with the best revolver trigger I ever shot (including Colts and S&W).

In short, you take your chances with Taurus; you might get a keeper, you might get a lemon.

I didn't know Taurus made a Tracker in .45 ACP - too bad they didn't make one in .45 ACP and .45 LC in titanium.

Thanks Heretic! I will look at it closely once again. Like I said I'm new to revolvers. Might you have any advice for a good "first"? Something that could set a benchmark of minimum standards to look for?

It depends on what you are looking for and why.

I tend to view my revolvers as "field guns" - i.e., something I carry when out and about in the "field" as an all purpose firearm.

Do you want something light and compact?

Something that will be specifically for hunting?

Something for plinking or target shooting?

Do you want it to be highly accurate or just average in the accuracy department.

How do you envision yourself using this firearm?

What is your budget?

There are a lot of different revolvers out there in various forms for the different uses. each one is a compromise in some respect, so choosing one depends on how you want to use it.

Personally, I would start with a rimfire revolver - they are a lot of fun, easy and cheap to shoot, and useful in a lot of situations.

There are a lot of choices, but since a rimfire would probably not be a self-defense handgun, you could go with a stainless Ruger single action, maybe one with interchangeable cylinders to shoot both .22 LR or Magnum (although the LR will suffer a little in accuracy due to the slightly larger barrel, there are remedies for this).

Another choice would the the S&W 317 Kit Gun.

There are lots of revolvers out there, and you don't have to limit yourself to just one.

Thank you Heretic,

I think for now, until I can learn more about the subtleties of revolvers I am going to go with a SP101 as you suggested. I am looking for something sturdy, easy to work with and forgiving. I'm looking to invest 5-600 on this first one. I know myself, and I know that if the revolver bug gets me, Ill be moving on to higher end revolvers as I learn more.

As for use, I think at this point it would be for the range and perhaps a bedside gun. Until I can learn the limitations and usability of wheel guns any way.

It's odd to me that as I research more, I find that I don't know enough about them. Everyone seems to have opinions and advice which is great. Typically I read reviews and articles on firearms I am interested in and can sift through what they are saying and apply it to my own needs and usage. I have found that a lot of the information concerning revolvers is different and new to me as compared to automatic magazine fed type handguns.

I would recommend that regardless or chambering you get at least a 3 to 4" barrel unless you absolutely want/need a snubby. Easier to shoot, and IMO a 4" barrel balances just about right. I've had two snubbies and I prefer the 4" barrels.

But to each their own.

I don't think you can go wrong with an SP101 - they may need some refinement with the trigger, but they are a nice revolver and a decent value.

I have a Taurus Model 66 ('seven shooter' - medium frame - 4") in .357 Mag. I wanted a .30 cal gun in the safe, bought this one new some time back. Seems Taurus is the one that people love to hate, but everyone that's shot mine said the same thing; "nice gun". Trigger is maybe a little heavy but all I've done to it is shoot the crap out of it, with both .38 special and .357 mag. DA is smooth, SA is very crisp and easy to shoot. It shoots better than I do, and I have no regrets whatsoever about this one. Mine's a keeper.

The Heretic's advice about good ones / bad ones with Taurus is not without precedent. I guess I got lucky and got a very good one; I'd buy another Taurus wheel gun tomorrow. SP101's are also fantastic guns, but I've got a Ruger Redhawk in the safe so I'm not without bias.....:D I think the recommendation for a 4" barrel is sound. I'd recommend same.

Bottom line, if the caliber is what you're looking for and you can get a good deal on it, I'd go for it.

As they say, one man's opinion......

Just seeing if anyone has any feedback for this handgun. I found one I'm thinking about purchasing. It's 450. I am new to revolvers but feel it's time to add one to the collection, I figured the .45 round would mesh well since I have other 45s already.

Any advice?
I've had the 2" model for aboit 10 years. I use it as a back up carry gun. It's not a high quality gun, as Taurus has always had quality assurance problems. The steel tends to be soft. The throats are large, like around .457 or so, which affects accuracy. You would need a 12 lb reduced power hammer spring from Wolff Gunsprings to smooth out the trigger pull. Taurus sells no replacement parts, so few gunsmiths work on them. The upside is that Taurus has a lifetime warranty; send them the gun and they'll put new parts in it until they get it to work. Caution: their so called gunsmiths are little more than parts changers. I hope this helps if you're still interested.
Ron Summers
Springfield

I had one in .22 and a good friend of mine has one in .41mag. The .22 cylinder would lock up every once in a while. A little screw would keep coming loose no matter how much locktite i put on it. The .41 mag is a nice gun and seems to work well, but the front sight is canted to the left. Not installed that way but the the actual milling. They seem to be really hit or miss. I would not be opposed to shooting one, but to buy one, your money is better spent elsewhere. My opinion of course.

In addition to the Ruger SP101, take a look at the Ruger GP100. Larger and heavier than the SP101, it absorbs recoil better if you like to shoot allot or plan on using magnum rounds. They are available in a blue finish (less expensive) as well as stainless steel. Street prices are allot less than the MSRP shown on the Ruger website.

If you don't mind used revolvers, take a look at the predecessors to the SP101/GP100, the Ruger Six Series. Made in the '70s & '80s, they are sort of in-between the two newer Rugers in size and weight. Many people, myself included, consider these the perfect balance of size and weight and are comparable to the K frame S&W revolvers (but without the forcing cone issues those K guns can have). While prices continue to rise on these guns as more people discover them, you can still buy nice ones in your price range. Rather than explain the different models of Six Series, more info is available here- http://www.dayattherange.com/?p=3514

Edit- I stay far away from Taurus revolvers.

My vote is for a 4" Ruger Security Six in stainless steel, and then swap out the springs with a Wolff Springs reduced trigger pac.
You will not be disappointed.
Get a shoulder holster if you plan on carrying it on long hikes.

i have a tracker with a 4 inch ported barrel but mine is a 44 magnum i love it its lighter than my other 44 mag and its about the same size as a smith an wesson model 66 frame wise never had any problems with it