JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
As I understand it, if a car is over 25 years old, then it's ok to import it into the USA regardless of whether it meets standards applicable to new production cars in the US.

There's at least a couple that I'd like to add to my carpool (including one bucket-list resto-mod project that's been on my mind for years)... but specimens in the US are quite rare and command a premium as unusual/collectible but far more common overseas.

I'm wondering, has anyone here ever done this? Is there a good, recommended local outfit that can help usher one through the process? Lately I've been seeing a lot more of these sorts of vehicles (for example, right-hand drive Japanese cars) so clearly it's getting done somehow by someone. Tried googling but haven't found anything clear enough for my liking.

Last Edited:
Youre gonna have to look for importing companies? Seems the costs can be very high, to the point that it may be cheaper to find one in US, unless its a popular model like Mercedes Benz Gelandwagens, Mitsubishi Delicia, Toyotas, Nissan Skyline gtr, Pinzgauers, that sort of thing.. curious, whats the car you're wanting?

Back in the day I was a little into the import scene. Most of those guys got stuff from Canada as they had less restrictions on importing Japanese exotics.

They spent $$$$$$$ doing it though.

This was for things like right had drive Nissans and certain Hondas.

In the 60'sand 70's, every couple of years, An Friend used to sell his imported Volkswagen bug, used the money to finance his boat trip back to Norway to visit family. (we are talking cargo type boat here nothing fancy) While there, he would buy a new one, drive it around then have it shipped to America before he left so when he arrived back on the east coast it was available to drive back to Oregon. He did this all on the money he made on the imported car he sold shipping and all. spending no out of pocket money. This was done at least five times that I knew him up till he passed away. Likely things are different now, prices, and regulations certainly are, but keep looking in to it, you don't know till you try, its get up and go folks like you thinking outside the box that win the prize.

They spent $$$$$$$ doing it though.
Yup. I was in Trinidad and found a 60's RH drive Land Rover. I priced importing it into the US, but it was going to cost >$7K transport including Customs fees. I then looked into getting it OUT of Trinidad, and quickly saw that was a "pay as you go" adventure. Wasn't worth the headache.

Youre gonna have to look for importing companies? Seems the costs can be very high, to the point that it may be cheaper to find one in US, unless its a popular model like Mercedes Benz Gelandwagens, Mitsubishi Delicia, Toyotas, Nissan Skyline gtr, Pinzgauers, that sort of thing.. curious, whats the car you're wanting?

It's a secret. :)

Good tip on looking into Canada. Turns out it's quite a bit easier up there and there are appropriately-connected folks to contact. That may end up being my route, at least to get it onto this continent.

I sold a Plymouth Prowler to an airline pilot that lived in Vancouver BC that was part of an estate that I was dealing with and when he got to the border, a US border patrol agent called me and asked if the car was paid in full and had permission to leave the country.
I told him that it was OK and after hanging up I thought that the new owner could have gave the agent anybody's phone number to call and verify, since he didn't ask any other questions.

I have done this Three times for vehicles and once for engine parts! It all depends on the car, country, and paperwork!
I imported an Alpine A-110 from France, easiest deal ever, did the deal with the seller, took the car to the French customs and got all the paperwork, loaded the car in a shipping container and awaited it's arrival in New Jersey for customs inspections and paperwork! took less then an hour and it was released!
Second one was a Pacific P-14 from Canada, simple bill of sale and title, plus the import papers from Canada and the U.S. Waivers, 15 min at the boarder for both inspectors to sign off on it and I was on my way!
The third was my current Zlin Super Cub, was manufactured partially in the Czech repub, and partially in Italy, was crated and shipped from Italy with all papers and delivered to Arkansas where I took delivery and signed 4 pages of documents which were accepted by the states customs agent and I was free to go!
The Engine parts were from both Italy and Australia, took longer for U.S. Customs to clear them then the cars, the Italian shipment was held up for 4 days, and the Australian shipment took 3 weeks to clear!
Find an U.S. importer to do the paperwork for you, and it's the easiest way to go about it! If it's a commonly imported vehicle, there should be established importers, OR, if you find your dream car isn't normally imported, your going to have additional work but most importers should be able to walk you through the steps needed! Worst case and you cant find an importer, the U.S Customs can assist you, they can provide all the needed paperwork and a list of things you will need from the sellers country, once you have all that, submit copies to both countries customs services and await approval before you make the final shipping arrangements! The Port of New Jersey is by far the easiest that I have found, so if you are dealing with a European car, that's where you want it to ship! For west coast imports, it's kind of a crap shoot, with the Port of Tacoma being about the best, but it's a mixed bag, depending on the car and country!

Should be pretty easy! Been considering a V.W. SP1 my self!
Just need to find a U.S. Importer and go from there! :s0155:
Just remember, it must be 24 years old or older to qualify under normal terms!
If you find a newer car, you can import it, but there are additional terms and conditions you MUST go through, takes about 2 months!

1578366569765.png

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads