JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The one I had several years ago was clunky, not very accurate and generally disappointing.
They are unobtanium right now upwards of $1300, totally ridiculous.

I have a couple of them, and one in 44 mag. Two of them (a 357 and the 44) are set up for shooting suppressed, one is as intended from Ruger.

The 357 model for suppressor use has the barrel shortened and threaded, re-chambered slightly shorter to 38 special, with a suppressor shroud lengthening the "barrel" to just over 16" permanently attached with a pin. I use it with a thread on suppressor. The 44 mag is an integral suppressor.

I mainly use them for shooting steel out to 100 yards or so. Accuracy, with the right handloads, has been fine for my purposes, and each benefitted from trigger work and shimming the 2 piece bolt to minimize excessive clearance. I had a few issues with my first one feeding from the magazine until I realized that the mag I had was for the 77/44 or Deerfield carbine, not the 357. Once I got some of the right magazines, I don't recall having much issue.

I bought them all back before they went out of production and prices were more reasonable. I'm satisfied with each of them for what I have invested in them. Not sure I'd be a buyer at today's prices, unless it was for the integral in 44 mag. That one is among my favorites.

I have a couple of them, and one in 44 mag. Two of them (a 357 and the 44) are set up for shooting suppressed, one is as intended from Ruger.

The 357 model for suppressor use has the barrel shortened and threaded, re-chambered slightly shorter to 38 special, with a suppressor shroud lengthening the "barrel" to just over 16" permanently attached with a pin. I use it with a thread on suppressor. The 44 mag is an integral suppressor.

I mainly use them for shooting steel out to 100 yards or so. Accuracy, with the right handloads, has been fine for my purposes, and each benefitted from trigger work and shimming the 2 piece bolt to minimize excessive clearance. I had a few issues with my first one feeding from the magazine until I realized that the mag I had was for the 77/44 or Deerfield carbine, not the 357. Once I got some of the right magazines, I don't recall having much issue.

I bought them all back before they went out of production and prices were more reasonable. I'm satisfied with each of them for what I have invested in them. Not sure I'd be a buyer at today's prices, unless it was for the integral in 44 mag. That one is among my favorites.
Have you come across the newer ones and if so how did they appear in terms of quality? thx.

I haven't personally handled any of the newer ones made at the end of the production run. If you ended up with one that had an issue, Ruger has been helpful for me the couple times I reached out with a QC concern. I have a number of Rugers, and have been satisfied with all of them.

No experience with the 77/357, but have had a 77/44 for some years now and love it. Accurate enough, light handling, smooth bolt, 4 and 10 round magazines available, and suppresses nicely. :)

Why, Yes! I bought one brand new (Stainless). A fine, rugged little gun of significant power. It shot very well (about 2" average) at 100 yards.

Then, I butchered it.

No charge for this service. Drive Safely. :cool:

Edited to add: If it is humanly possible to shoot out the bore of a 77/357 Stainless, I MIGHT know where to locate a replacement barrel.

Last Edited:
I have one (older) I SBR'ed and use a 9mm huge can on originally designed for open bolt sub guns.

With 200 gr handloads I get 1" at 50 yards.

Subsonics with the huge can make a Red Ryder seem loud. It is one of my favorite guns to shoot and people giggle and can not believe how vewwy, veewy quiet it is.

Of note, gray diggers and nutria HATE this gun.

4615C0B4-6CBA-4F07-98E6-BC229217887B.jpeg

I have one (older) I SBR'ed and use a 9mm huge can on originally designed for open bolt sub guns.

With 200 gr handloads I get 1" at 50 yards.

Subsonics with the huge can make a Red Ryder seem loud. It is one of my favorite guns to shoot and people giggle and can not believe how vewwy, veewy quiet it is.

Of note, gray diggers and nutria HATE this gun.

View attachment 1758022
Now running about $1000 dollars; are they worth it? Any other rifle 357s out there but for lever guns? Thx.