JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Thinking seriously to purchase one or the other but am conflicted. Anybody have one or these and can share their experience. Is there a reliability, such a failure to feed issue with either gun? Was considering for CCW and or occasional range gun?

I own three M&P's (no Shield) and a XDS 3.3" in 9mm. The XDS isn't exactly pleasant to shoot. I probably should have stuck with M&P. From a quality and reliability standpoint they're pretty similar. Go find a range that rent them and shoot both of them. You should have your answer in about half an hour. Plus it will be fun. :) But seriously, shoot them both and particularly because you're looking at 45's. I wish I had taken my own advice. :rolleyes:

Also do give careful thought as to if you really want a sub compact. They're great to conceal, for sure. But with all the shenanigans going on in the world today, are they the gun you would want to bet your life on? Very short sight radius, heavier recoil compared to their larger brethren, low capacity...particularly in 45. What if you need to take a 25 yard or 50 yard shot? What if you have multiple assailants? What if you're going up against a guy with rifle...or god forbid, two guys with rifles? Etc. And I realize no pistol is going to be great in any of these scenarios. But some pistols are certainly better than others.

What I ultimately concluded is that a Glock 19 sized pistol isn't a ton bigger and not much harder to conceal...but it offers so much more than a sub compact single stack. When you're out shopping, compare the size of the Shield to the sub compact size M&P and/or similar guns. See what you think.

I went with an xds 9 with the stainless slide. Found a shop that offered this at the price $10.00 over the best net price I could find.

I liked the MP Shield PC only because of the fiber optic sights but less so for the ported barrel. The XDs joins my XDm subcompact 40. Just could not resist the Springfield sale of 4 mags, gun holster and mag holder for what I paid.

I looked closely at both MP and XD "compact" models and essentially found duplication in my my 1994 Smith 915 high capacity that works like a charm. I looked at the Springfield XD 45 and envisioned the high capacity weight and thought that it would come pretty close to my Smith 4006--which shoots like a champ and accurate to a fault.

I do not think there is much of a difference between the MP Shield against a single stack XDs. The "basic" Shield is a super gun but without the fiber optics I did not like that. That is why I looked at the Smith MP Shield that had fiber optics and was ported but went with the XDs that has the fiber optics, ready rail mounts for lights/lazer and 4 mags and holster stuff coming my way. Either one of these are great pieces but I was offered a smoking deal on the Stainless Slide XDs 9 and ran with it. I never had a stainless slide, wanted a totally black gun, but the stainless is kinda pretty. Thanks a lot for all of you that assisted in provoking my thinking.

I did look at the XD mod 2 45 and that is a super gun for the home or for a tall person. But, I am 5'8 and thought that would be a burden for me. In the woods I carry a Ruger GP 100 with 6" barrel and might give the Smith 4006 with 180 grain jhp's a run.

I have the XD mod2 .45 and think it's nice. And with 10 rounds with the compact grip, 14 with the extended I don't feel under powered. They are also more accurate than the 3.3" barrel should be and have nice sights. I do wish they made the rear sight like Sigs for a one handed belt rack. I think it's a bit large and heavy for a pocket pistol but nice to carry on your side. To me the pistol hides the recoil well and has been reliable. I like the grip safety and don't hesitate to leave it on the nightstand unholstered. The Smith's seem nice as well and there's some great deals on both. Good luck.

I agree with you on your XD mod 2 45, but carrying that piece on my small frame and hip would be a problem for city use. For the woods carry no real problem. One nice feature of the Shield and the XDS is that both can fit in a pocket with some effort.
This xds is purely a defense piece--thinking target shooting at 21 feet or less. Maybe 15 feet. This gun is plenty accurate for that challenge. I would not expect that either the XDS subcompact 40 nor the XDS 9 will see much, if any, 25 yard target shooting.

I was at the CC indoor pistol range watching a very new novice use the XD 2.0 9 mm with a lazer--very impressive results.

I agree with you on your XD mod 2 45, but carrying that piece on my small frame and hip would be a problem for city use. For the woods carry no real problem. One nice feature of the Shield and the XDS is that both can fit in a pocket with some effort.
This xds is purely a defense piece--thinking target shooting at 21 feet or less. Maybe 15 feet. This gun is plenty accurate for that challenge. I would not expect that either the XDS subcompact 40 nor the XDS 9 will see much, if any, 25 yard target shooting.

I was at the CC indoor pistol range watching a very new novice use the XD 2.0 9 mm with a lazer--very impressive results.

Nice choice on the xds9. It should carry well. Post some targets after you take her out. Congrats !

I have the XDS in 9 and 45. The XDS 45 was my carry gun for the longest time...in the front pocket. I bought a XD 45 SC Mod 2, but it needs a IWB holster as it is too big for my pocket, I now have a Kydex IWB for it and a Leather Recluse pocket holster intended for a cargo pocket. I also bought a Shield 45 which has a external safety, I have a Kydex IWB holster for it as it is also just a bit too big for pocket carry. I re-injured my wrist, broke it 9 years ago, and 45's are wearing on me. I am going to try a XD 40 SC Mod 2 next (I have it already, just haven't shot it yet.)

For about the size and feel of a Shield, I have a Taurus PT-111 G-2, it has a 12+1 capacity, easy to carry. I don't like 9's that much, but they also make the PT-140 in 40, but stout small guns might be passé for me.

Thinking seriously to purchase one or the other but am conflicted. Anybody have one or these and can share their experience. Is there a reliability, such a failure to feed issue with either gun? Was considering for CCW and or occasional range gun?

Support America and buy American instead of Croatian. My vote is for the Smith.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top