JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm the proud owner of a new Ruger GP100 I just got today. I've wanted a full framed 357 for a while, and found a price on a new one I couldn't walk away from. I feel like a kid that just bought a muscle car.

In order to get familiar with the gun, I was considering starting out shooting 38spl rounds. I've heard many people say to train with the same rounds you'll use it real life - but given the vast price difference in the ammo this gun can use, seems that there should be a place for 38 special ammo. Once I'm ready to work on my groups and other serious training, I think it's wise to use the full power loads.

There's a huge variety of ammo out there, and I don't want to go broke buying a box of everything. What ammo (type or specific brand) is recommended for:

1) plinking, paper zombie targets and other novelty purposes
2) serious range use where I'm working on consistency/accuracy
3) home defense
4) hiking trail (cougars, black bear)

Thanks for the feedback.

For plinking I would use the less expensive rounds...38 sp to get a feel for the trigger pull, etc. You didn't say what kind of ammo stock you have as far as 38 sp or 357, or what is available in your area, etc.

For home defense and/or country packing, get a nice defense round. ask 10 people and get 10 answers. But for defense and predators you'll be at very close range so the damage factor should far exceed accuracy issues with lesser quality rounds.

I practice with Winchester, Blazer, Remington.....I carry Hydra Shok, etc.

:s0159:

For plinking I would use the less expensive rounds...38 sp to get a feel for the trigger pull, etc. You didn't say what kind of ammo stock you have as far as 38 sp or 357, or what is available in your area, etc.

For home defense and/or country packing, get a nice defense round. ask 10 people and get 10 answers. But for defense and predators you'll be at very close range so the damage factor should far exceed accuracy issues with lesser quality rounds.

I practice with Winchester, Blazer, Remington.....I carry Hydra Shok, etc.

:s0159:

This is what I've always done as well. I'd shoot some of the expensive stuff but for the most part use the cheaper loads/calibers.

I have a 6 inch S&W 686 and it is mostly just a range gun but I have thought about employing it in various real world scenarios. Inside the house it is loaded with Magsafe frangible loads. These have incredibly destructive power but limited penetration through building materials. Against cougar or bear, I think the consensus is that you need penetration to reach vital organs. For this you would want 180 gr SWC lead bullets. 158 gr LRN bullets would also be a good substitute but would not penetrate as much. On the few occasions I have carried into the woods, I carried 158 gr JSP rounds. Cougars aren't as big as bears so less need for maximum penetration. The .357 magnum made its legend in law enforcement circles using the 125 gr JHP. This gave us the legendary 90+ percent one shot stops. 125 gr JHP loads even in a 6 inch barrel can have a lot of flash effect. Generally I use 158 Gr JSP or JHP loads as they are controllable in my 6 inch 686 and seem to be the most common load in the less expensive ammo lines.

The .357 magnum made its legend in law enforcement circles using the 125 gr JHP. This gave us the legendary 90+ percent one shot stops.

Would something like the heavily advertised Hornady FTX Critical Defense be an example?

Also, as a future consideration I can see myself getting into reloading. I'll be saving my brass in anticipation. Are there any brands or characteristics that are less desirable for reloading?

I probably spend about 70% of my range time shooting .38 special out of my N Frame .357 magnum, both standard pressure and +P, usually the 158 grain bullet. I will work in cheaper .357 mag ammo like CCI blazer or Magtech, again usually staying in the same bullet weight. My S&W Model 28 easily absorbs recoil from the lighter .357 mag loads like Remington Golden Sabre about the same as .38 special +P. I usually finish off with a few of my top shelf (semi-precious ha ha) self defense rounds like Speer Gold Dots. If cougar and black bears are a real threat in your hiking, you might want to consider a heavier lead cast bullet in the 200 grain range.

I see no issue with shooting 38 special for practice. I know some people say train with what you carry. But realistically you are going to go broke shooting HP 357 ammo all the time. There is usually a difference in the power, pressures and recoil associated with defensive ammo compared to ball ammo.

The two loads with the best street success are the Remington and Federal 125 grain JHPs. 94% and 92 % stopping power stats with one solid torso hit. They will work well on bipeds and big North American cats

158 grain loads are a hunting load for deer. They do not expand anything like the 125 grain loads

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top