JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Several years ago at a sale I came across an ammo can that is in perfect condition on the outside . It had been stored inside and was full of barrel solvents. Well with all the extra time lately I got around to pulling it out and cleaning it . Over time and moving it around some of the solvent had leaked out and peeled the most of the paint on the inside. I washed and rinsed it several times and the solvent smell is still there. I have had it sitting outside for a few days and the smell is almost gone. My question is would you store ammo in it or do you think it might corrode? My gut says it would be ok but I would cry a little to open it up someday to find out I junked up some ammo?

Nope, for what they cost just buy another one for the ammo and use that one for something else. If it leaked the solvent it means it isn't quite sealable for long term storage anyway.:s0159:

Don't store ammo in it I have always understood that the solvent can break down ammo. Which is the reason I have never stored any ammo in my gun safe.

1585808321224.png

I wouldn't store ammo in it. You have already put more time into it than the value of the can. The solvent would have damaged the seal, I would think. Surplus cans are usually around 10, sometimes less. Harbor freight sells the 50 Cal cans on sale for 10-12 occasionally.

Yah, as others mentioned you've already spent more time on it than the cans worth.

Personally I'd use it, if I NEEDED it for ammo stowage.

Mayhaps ziplock baggie rounds / boxes first. I'd wager just any residual vapors wouldn't have any affect, but wouldn't want to be the tester for such either...

If you're bored and don't mind spending time and money on it. I'd wipe it down with a rag wetted well with acetone. Then after that let it air dry for an hour to evaporate any acetone, and sand the inside to ensure any loose paint is gone. Then prime and paint it inside, and it should be fine for ammo.
But if it was mine I'd simply relegate it to bullet storage and use another ammo can to put my loaded ammo into. Save time and money, and not worry about this can.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top