JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I bought a stock WASR from my son who needed funds a couple of years ago and am looking to make it a little easier to shoulder and control. Maybe scope it as well. And a trigger down the road.

I kinda like the adjustable tapco type stock, but really open to anything except a side folder. There are so many grips to choose from has anyone tried a grip and or stock they have had a good experience with? I shoot lefty so the grip would need to be ambidextrious, looks like most of then are.

I love the look of the wood but not the feel, I think I could get a little bit more accuracy with something else. Not looking to throw a ton of money at it just wanna make it more enjoyable to shoot and maybe shoot a little tighter groups from more control.

Thanks in advance.;)

I have some experience with ATI Gunstocks. I've used their stocks on several guns, including my SKS (though I went back to wood on that one) and a 10/22. I like them better than Tapco's offerings. I don't know if you're interested in more 'tactical' looking stocks, they're worth considering. They do have side-folding models, but they also have just length adjustable as well. And I'll say their pistol grips, for a non-traditional style, is one of my favorites. Not everyone's cup of tea, but worth looking at if it's up your alley. You can buy the whole stock set, or just parts, such as the pistol grip only.

http://www.atigunstocks.com/rifles/ak-47?p=1

900px_wide_header_AK47_white_4.jpg

Thanks erudne, that grip looks like it should work, and made in the good ol USA.

Thanks etain16, funny I had a ATI on my yugo sks and went back to wood too. I like the looks of that ak stock and will check them out.

Thanks erudne, that grip looks like it should work, and made in the good ol USA.

Thanks etain16, funny I had a ATI on my yugo sks and went back to wood too. I like the looks of that ak stock and will check them out.

I would recommend the magpul zhukov stock. As for the grip, the hogue grip s quite nice. If you're worried about sight aquisition I would recommend a peep sight or a different front sight maybe a tech sight in which extends the sight radius dramatically.. A side rail mount is the way to go for scopes and an ultimak for red dots is pretty good.

As an avid AK collector/shooter I have a few suggestions:

Grips:
Magpul
US palm
NOTHING RUBBER!
If you've done any actual transitional drills or even shot your ak and just let it go and allowed the sling to do its thing, you'll notice the rubber grips snag on EVERYTHING. That AND the minute the get mud on them they become slick as hell. The only time guys dont notice is when they only shoot their AK from a bench.

*A plastic grip with rough texturing works best.

Stocks:
If you like the adjustable stocks, Id suggest a decent aluminum AK to AR stock adapter. The platic tubes break if dropped, hasnt happened to me but AK47.net has a few threads.
From there Id put a CTR stock on the aluminum tube, this allows for a positive lock up reducing stock wobble and you can also add cheek risers to better pair with an optic should you so desire.

Tapco doesnt make too many quakity products for AKs.. Im not a gear snob.. Ive just broke enough cheap plastic to be weary of it. Their fixed AK stocks arent too bad. A tad short (warsaw length) and though plastic they work well.

The real question is, whats your intended purpose for the rifle?

If its bench shooting only the possibilities are endless because nothing will get banged up too bad, you'll never have to worry about things breaking..etc.
but if you plan to really use the rifle then Id buy quality products. Avoid cheap plastic stuff and rubber anything.

Thanks: bennyl, filsonhand, titsonritz, and ZA_Survivalist.

Iv'e got a lot of good places to start, thanks guys.

Yeah, great question about what I want to do with this AK.
I see this as my SHTF (longterm), bugout, survival type rifle that would be reliable, tough, and quick to shoulder and aquire a target. Got enough plinkers ;). So in that respect, making it that way is money well spent in the long run.

Haha as soon as I saw 'tapco' I was like
:eek:He said upgrades and tapco in the same post:confused:

Glad I can provide a little humor, i'll be here all week :)

Like I said, i'm just an old guy who was helping out his son by taking his AK of his hands and keeping it in the family. Don't claim to know much about them or what's good and bad that's why I posted to learn from the experts.

Hey there, I am in the same boat as you. I just bought a Definitive Arms AK 2 weeks ago and have started looking at what things I can do to make it comfortable. I picked up a Magpul MOE Plus grip and I am going to use a Canis Designs stock adapter for my collapsible stock. I also got a Magpul CTR stock to put on as well. I don't know if you go on youtube often but there is a good channel called AK operators union. You should check them out, they do a lot of reviews and torture test things.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top