JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Okay, I would like to begin with an apology. If this has been covered in another thread, I couldn't find it via "search."

I acquired a Maadi AK (1993, ACC/Intrac), and the interior has a few rust spots. Removing the rust (surface rust; I don't see pitting) with steel wool is a little difficult, given the cramped interior of the rifle. All the rust is inside, but is only little pin-sized spots on the receiver walls, and a few larger blemishes around the feed ramp; it isn't a whole lot of rust. I've successfully removed the rust from the receiver walls, but the cramped space around the feed ramp makes it difficult. I'm looking at using a deblued/derusting chemical stripper to use on the rust (forgot the name; it is in the gun section at Bi-Mart). I realize this will take off the finish on the interior. What is the interior finish? Is it blued? Do I Duracoat or Gun-kote the interior? I figure I'll do the rest of the rifle, as well. For some reason, I cannot find an answer to whether or not I coat the interior of an AK when Duracoating or Gun-koteing. What is the best method for stripping the rifle of its finish? If I could afford it, I'd give it to a gunsmith, so I'm looking for cheap and easy.

At first glance, the pictures look pretty bad, but it isn't so bad in person. I think the camera really brings out the discoloration via reflection. The rust is only on the surface, some of the finish has come off, and I think my putting gun oil on it has made it more reflective. The rifle, as a whole, is in good shape. I just think, because the rust is in various "nooks and crannies" that the chemical option would be best for the situation?

EDIT: Stock finally gave way and came out. Took a hammer and screwdriver, but it came out.

Spray some Kano "Aerokroil" all over it and let it do it's magic for a day or so.
Then take some plastic stemmed Qtips that have been wrapped with 4 ought steel wool and rub around where you can reach.

To be honest....I would just keep it well oiled and leave it be. But to answer your question, you can use gunkote on the internals of a firearm, I would NOT use durakote as it goes on much thicker. Gunkote when cured ends up to be around .0005" thick.

To get at the rust, you might try folding a piece of scotch brite and holding it with some needle nose pliers. I do like the idea posted above with the q-tips and steel wool but have never tried it.

Winks Hardware Store.
200 Southeast Stark Street Portland, OR 97214
(503) 227-5536

Aerokroil is "The oil that creeps". You can order direct from Kano laboratories 615-833-4101.
It really does work, just give it some time to work into the parts.

I was given some fine steel wool that is impregnated with lead. Looks like a scotch brite pad.
It works great because a little piece can be formed to fill a slot or other contoured shapes and then rubbed over metal surfaces without shredding.

Was this rust formed from using ammo with corrosive primers?

Winks Hardware Store.
200 Southeast Stark Street Portland, OR 97214
(503) 227-5536

Aerokroil is "The oil that creeps". You can order direct from Kano laboratories 615-833-4101.
It really does work, just give it some time to work into the parts.

I was given some fine steel wool that is impregnated with lead. Looks like a scotch brite pad.
It works great because a little piece can be formed to fill a slot or other contoured shapes and then rubbed over metal surfaces without shredding.

Was this rust formed from using ammo with corrosive primers?

Thanks for the info. I've been searching Google aimlessly, trying to locate a retail outlet that sells it. Is there a name for the lead-infused steel wool you used?

I'm not sure if the rust formed due to corrosive primer ammo. I'm guessing it must've been something funky, like that, since the majority of the rust is around the bore. There is also some rust around the mag opening, the hammer spring is being replaced because it was too rusted. It seems like corrosive ammo must've been used. However, the barrel itself is in perfect shape, so kudos to chrome-lined barrels! There isn't any rust on the exterior of the rifle, only sporadic surface rust patches on the interior.

I got it from one of my renters. I will ask him tomorrow morning when I see him.
He works on old British cars and bikes, and has some very interesting tricks in restoring those things.
I thought firearms had some odd screws to deal with, try working on vintage British stuff.

Update: nowhere seems to stock Kano Aerokroil. I called Wink's before driving out, they haven't heard of it. I called all auto parts stores in the area (including NAPA), they too haven't heard of it. Hardware stores, too, haven't heard of it.

How would "Liquid Wrench" or "Navy Jelly" hold up to the job?

Tacoma Screw on Columbia blvd. has the Aerokroil or however it's spelled. It's in an orange can. I see it on the shelves atleast once a week...

Thanks for the info, but that is too far away (I don't mean to whine), though I may have to go that route. I should have specified my location. Does anyone know if there is any place on the West side of town? I'm in SW Portland, on the border with Beaverton.

If Aerokroil is so amazing, why is it so difficult to find?

Just got off the phone with Kanolabs (the manufacturer) and they informed me that they do not have a distribution program, but sell direct to the public. :( Their website is: Penetrating-Lubricating Oils

Good luck.

Thanks. I was hoping for something local, like a small business to support instead of paying shipping & handling. They do have a great deal on their website: x2 kingsize $12 + shipping.

UPDATE: I decided to try "Liquid Wrench" while waiting to receive Aerokroil in the mail. I'll let it soak for a day, see how it goes.

The thing about kroil is its ability to penetrate very very small gaps and break the molecular bond of a rusted fastener.......how that applies to this situation I am not sure, but it is certainly a hand product to have around.

any penetrating oil should help really....idk if it will help in this case but what i did in the past with my mosins and with an fn-49 (only one at a time) is stick a plug/trans cap in the end of the barrel, stood them on end, and filled them all the way up to the highest point it would hold (chamber and into the receivers) with penetrating oil (think i used pb blaster on one or two, liquid wrench on one). I then sat them in the corner and left them for a few days, then came back at em with a brass brush and some elbow grease. Didn't magically build the bore or anything, but cleaned up a lot of the corrosive crap and rust that was in there. I never refinished anything metal, but spent days scraping some paint or duracoat somebody so lovingly applied to the fn-al :complain:

i decided to order aerokroil from the manufacturer's website. there was a deal: 2 cans = $12 + shipping. i scrubbed after soaking with liquid wrench. a lot of gunk came off. however, i'm beginning to suspect that much of what is seen on the feed ramp and around the bore may be burn marks instead of rust. the liquid wrench did a decent job, but not good enough. i'm guessing the aerokroil will take the rest off.

i took the rifle out on friday. shoots like a dream. besides the condition (which is treatable), it shoots better than my mak90. anyone who comes across a non-century arms maadi should definitely get it: very well built.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top