Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

AK 74 opinions

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by KENOC, Mar 4, 2009.

1. KENOC

KENOC Portland area Member

I have been wanting to get one of these for awhile. After some research, I am leaning toward this one. It looks perfect and is under $1000, which is my max to spend. It is a bulgarian kit built by Troy Sellers...
    Opinions? Should i go for it or are there better options for this kind of $$?
    http://www.marcolmarfirearms.com/aks74.php

2. Trlsmn

Trlsmn In Utero (Portland) Well-Known Member

Perhaps one of these instead?

A little more money up front, plus the Tax, but with the limited availability I expect them to be the most expensive of all the AK variants.

That is a nice rifle and fairly rare though, I just checked out one a friend built last weekend.

3. finch6013

finch6013 Oregon City Active Member

unless you want to spend big money and have an investment gun go with a cheap romanian wasr 10. The things are bullet proof from my experience

4. CharlesAFerg

CharlesAFerg Beaverton Active Member

Yes! Purchase a true 5.45X39 AK-74.

I recently read on an internet forum that there has been a surge in 5.45x39 ammunition ending up in the states, reducing prices. This, of course, is exaggerated by everybody gobbling up every bit of .223.

5. Deavis

Deavis Mid Willamette Valley Active Member

I own multiple AKs... I just started a few years ago and they really grew on me. I am asked often about which one to get now..... for shooting I would absolutely get a 5.45 due to cheap cost of ammo. I mean cheap.... Just got it delivered under .15/rd which for centerfire is unheard of these days. If you can get a krink kit (AKS-74U) I would highly recommend it. I also think they will hold/increase their value for a long time. The 5.45s cost more up front, as do the mags but if you shoot. I mean really shoot and are not sitting on a pile of x39 already - I would hands down get a 5.45.

6. coctailer

coctailer Portland, OR/Hastings, MI/Vancouver,WA I run with scissors.

That is a really good deal.
    I have an account at Marcolmar because people kept finding desireable guns there for cheap.

I just got a shipment from them yesterday.

7. CharlesAFerg

OMG a PKM... :thumbup:
    Definitely something I bring to the Ivory Coast with the rest of the guys.

8. Dutchy556

Dutchy556 Bend, OR Member

That PKM collectors package is pretty neat... too bad about that whole semi- part, but still...

And yes, OP, if you can afford it and you want one those look like nice AKS-74s - I'd get one.

ETA: aaaaaand now I want one... I need to spend another K on an rifle right now like I need another hole in the head! I still need to put an optic on a new build and I've got a magpul dynamics class to pay for! And yet here are these beautiful AKS-74s, apparently in stock, and...

You only need one kidney, right?

9. tuckerha

tuckerha Tucson, Arizona Member

Kidney, or donate blood ALOT.

If you can afford it, get it. If not, a romanian WASR will work great.

10. CharlesAFerg

I always wondered how much they gave you for donating bodily materials.